Hannes Polla - The enigma

some of yall would kick isaac haas off his team also ...

I was thinking that last night.... Purdue had great 3pt shooters, but those weren't even really highly rated guys. They surrounded a 7'2'' 290 aircraft carrier around a bunch of shooters.

western kentucky made a living out of that for years. as did Iba.

Reasonable minds can differ on his ceiling, but you guys that say he can't play or run haven't been to many practices. I have and over a two hour session you plainly see why Lon gave him a schollie. He can run and he is completely unafraid of contact to the point of the coaches constantly having to restrain him from illegally bullying people.

He needs a lot of work, particularly with his hands (not feet). But, he is extremely well coached with regard to rebounding and blocks out better than anyone on the team.

He gives you 100% as well, which some on the team do not.

I don't know what he will ultimately develop into, but bigs usually are the last to develop. Some really don't come on until years into their professional career. Give him some time. If he will put in Buddy/Cousins type hours, you never know. It might be a year or two even, but I think he can be a good B12 center. Who knows about any freshman (save the unusual 5 star)

Reasonable minds can differ on his ceiling, but you guys that say he can't play or run haven't been to many practices. I have and over a two hour session you plainly see why Lon gave him a schollie. He can run and he is completely unafraid of contact to the point of the coaches constantly having to restrain him from illegally bullying people.

He needs a lot of work, particularly with his hands (not feet). But, he is extremely well coached with regard to rebounding and blocks out better than anyone on the team.

I don't know what he will ultimately develop into, but bigs usually are the last to develop. Some really don't come on until years into their professional career. Give him some time. If he will put in Buddy/Cousins type hours, you never know. It might be a year or two even, but I think he can be a good B12 center. Who knows about any freshman (save the unusual 5 star)

he can also shoot

This board massively overrates Bookout

Spangler - a far superior player - continually gets brushed off

This board massively overrates Bookout

Spangler - a far superior player - continually gets brushed off

meh. I liked Bookout a lot but would take Spangler every time if asked to pick between the two.

I think they are similar players. I'd take either one. Spangler was more athletic and could step out and hit shots. Book was better down low. Both were great rebounders. You can't go wrong with either player. I think Book was a better vocal presence and leader

Ok, so based on this (a person who has watched him play).... is this fair?

• He is the strongest player on the team
  • He is the tallest player on the team
  • He has the best motor of anyone on the team
  • He is well coached on rebounding
  • He blocks out better than anyone on the team

Those are the things I took from your post... now he needs work with his hands, I get that, but are the above list of things about him true?

If so, we have ourselves a player and someone who can help next year.

Slow can't catch or finish around the rim. Don't blame the coaches because he can't play, just blame them for recruiting him. I talked to an OU beat writer who said he is the worse OU scholarship player since the 7'1 Russian. Krutwig can play unlike Polla. Bad basketball IQ doesn't help. Sampson wouldn't play him either and didn't recruit him.

He has to be one of the worse five players in the Big 12 with Freeman.

I have yet to meet a journalist who can accurately assess talent in athletes. They are journalists for a reason.

Polla can be a Marshall plumley from duke imo (the least talented plumley). Might take him until senior year. But it would be well worth it and i think it will come sooner than later.

Most people on here only see points and are in love with guards bc they get the points. But i see some potential in polla.

Conversely, there is no potential in freeman (he will leave).

And i railed against taking lazenby but he actually does some little things right when he was supposed to be just a shooter. Lazenby is not a D1 player but he can give us very limited minutes, not a guy we should have taken, but whatever.

i like bookout but woooooo he was not close to the olympics and he could not have played in the nfl ..

if he wanted to be a pro baseball would have been his only chance

First off he placeed 10th in the Olympic trials , that’s called “almost making the Olympics”

Second he had a tryout with the New York Jets , are you saying that was for his baseball skills ?

The guy had great feet , and was a good athlete for a player his size .

Anything else who want to be wrong about ?

Spangler better in every phase of the game

Spangler never averaged even double digits scoring . he literally didn’t have an offensive game other than dunks or junk points .

Saying that I love Spangler and wild love to have either one .

Spangler never averaged even double digits scoring . he literally didn’t have an offensive game other than dunks or junk points .

He averaged 10.2 PPG his senior year, and 9.6 and 9.7 PPG the prior two years :facepalm

Spangler was forced to play the 5 most of the time (except with Tashawn Thomas) but was really a 4. Had he been able to play 4, I think he probably averages more points but his rebounding is what is sorely missed. He may be the best rebounder I can remember for OU basketball since the mid 70's when I started watching. At least he's top 2 or 3.

The misinformation one sees on this board at times is puzzling. Y'all know there are places you can look up stats (like a particular player's scoring average for a given season), yes? Soonerstats.com, to name just one such site, is your friend.

Spangler nearly averaged 10/9 for his OU career, Bookout was 10/6

Spangler also has averaged 4X as many assist

I’ll concede Bookout was a better scoring option down low. Spangler a junk guy who could also step out and hit a jumper.

Spangler was forced to play the 5 most of the time (except with Tashawn Thomas) but was really a 4. Had he been able to play 4, I think he probably averages more points but his rebounding is what is sorely missed. He may be the best rebounder I can remember for OU basketball since the mid 70's when I started watching. At least he's top 2 or 3.

I love his rebounding but imo not better than Blake

Back