Hannes Polla - The enigma

That said, I’d kill for another Bookout. Good player.

Craziest thing about Spangler was his amazing ability to win jump balls

Craziest thing about Spangler was his amazing ability to win jump balls

he had a really good sense of timing. see that in a lot of multisport folks. there's something about using different sets of associated muscles makes your overall body coordination better. it's a fact jack.

Polla can be a Marshall plumley from duke imo (the least talented plumley). Might take him until senior year. But it would be well worth it and i think it will come sooner than later.

Most people on here only see points and are in love with guards bc they get the points. But i see some potential in polla.

Conversely, there is no potential in freeman (he will leave).

And i railed against taking lazenby but he actually does some little things right when he was supposed to be just a shooter. Lazenby is not a D1 player but he can give us very limited minutes, not a guy we should have taken, but whatever.

so you think he can become an NBA player?

I'm trying to figure out what is enigmatic about Polla, haha.

First off he placeed 10th in the Olympic trials , that’s called “almost making the Olympics”

Second he had a tryout with the New York Jets , are you saying that was for his baseball skills ?

The guy had great feet , and was a good athlete for a player his size .

Anything else who want to be wrong about ?

he never had a minimum olympic qualifiing throw ... so no he was not close he could have finished first but with out a min standard he would not have gone to the olympics

Betting you could also outrun Krutwig from Loyola but he helps his team. Polla could possibly be that kind of player with some coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe...FWIW I was being a smart*ss....

He needs work, lots of it, but hopefully he'll put the time in and be a big help Jr/Sr year.

Don't forget Bookout played in a system that didn't allow much scoring. He also played a couple of years with a terrible shoulder.
They both were very good players and guys that we would love to have now or at anytime in the history of OU.
I recall having to defend LK for taking Spangler.

FYI they are both great guys!

Spangler was forced to play the 5 most of the time (except with Tashawn Thomas) but was really a 4. Had he been able to play 4, I think he probably averages more points but his rebounding is what is sorely missed. He may be the best rebounder I can remember for OU basketball since the mid 70's when I started watching. At least he's top 2 or 3.

I think his rebounding stats exceeded how good he actually was. Blake and Tisdale were clearly better. A LOT of other players that I'd say were just as good, or better. Guys like King, Grant, and Eduardo, to start with.

Spangler nearly averaged 10/9 for his OU career, Bookout was 10/6

Spangler also has averaged 4X as many assist

I’ll concede Bookout was a better scoring option down low. Spangler a junk guy who could also step out and hit a jumper.

Bookout was a vastly superior post defender too. That dude was strong, and didn't give up good positioning inside. Very underrated in that regards.

Spangler was forced to play the 5 most of the time (except with Tashawn Thomas) but was really a 4. Had he been able to play 4, I think he probably averages more points but his rebounding is what is sorely missed. He may be the best rebounder I can remember for OU basketball since the mid 70's when I started watching. At least he's top 2 or 3.

Do you remember Blake Griffin?

maybe...FWIW I was being a smart*ss....

He needs work, lots of it, but hopefully he'll put the time in and be a big help Jr/Sr year.

Oh I know there was some tongue-in-cheek but I was seriously giving you the benefit of the doubt. You might be faster. I am just saying he has the size to help if he will get the coaching., regardless of speed. I would give that guy drills to run over and over and over. Then do it all over again. That includes a grad assistant or a volunteer with shoulder pads and a broom to defend him as he works on turning over each shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I wrong in thinking that:

If Polla is our most fundamental rebounder and post defender, and is the biggest person on the team, and is the most physical player on the team.... that maybe he isn't as far off as some folks think.

Sounds like if he was able to set screens and finish around the rim he would be, worst case scenario, the best post defender and rebounder on the team. I mean, that has to count for something, right? Don't you want your best rebounder in the game?

Am I wrong in thinking that:

If Polla is our most fundamental rebounder and post defender, and is the biggest person on the team, and is the most physical player on the team.... that maybe he isn't as far off as some folks think.

Sounds like if he was able to set screens and finish around the rim he would be, worst case scenario, the best post defender and rebounder on the team. I mean, that has to count for something, right? Don't you want your best rebounder in the game?

Granted, he didn't play much, but I've never seen any indication that he's any of the things you mentioned, except the biggest person on the team. He does have that going for him.

he never had a minimum olympic qualifiing throw ... so no he was not close he could have finished first but with out a min standard he would not have gone to the olympics

If no one in the US had met the standards but Bookout still won than yes they would have taken him .

Again 10th at Eugene is almost making the Olympics. I think Kelvin has throw around 66 to 67 so he had in on him , just not that day .

Back