Hannes Polla - The enigma

Even though this is not about Polla and still off track, I think guys like Wayman Tisdale, Harvey Grant and Stacey King were better rebounders than Spangler, in addition to Blake Griffin, since the early 80s. But Spangler is #7 all-time at OU in rebounds per game for his career.

1. Alvan Adams . 12.85,
2. Blake Griffin . 11.84
3. Garfield Heard . 10.64
4. Wayman Tisdale . 10.09
5. Don Sidle . 10.03
6. Harvey Grant . 9.63
7. Ryan Spangler . 8.85

Stacey King only averaged 7.24 rpg for his career, although in 1988 he averaged 8.51 and in 1989 he averaged 10.06. He didn't see the minutes that Spangler did in his first 2 seasons.

Even though this is not about Polla and still off track, I think guys like Wayman Tisdale, Harvey Grant and Stacey King were better rebounders than Spangler, in addition to Blake Griffin, since the early 80s. But Spangler is #7 all-time at OU in rebounds per game for his career.

1. Alvan Adams . 12.85,
2. Blake Griffin . 11.84
5. Don Sidle . 10.03
6. Harvey Grant . 9.63
7. Ryan Spangler . 8.85

Stacey King only averaged 7.24 rpg for his career, although in 1988 he averaged 8.51 and in 1989 he averaged 10.06. He didn't see the minutes that Spangler did in his first 2 seasons.

I'm curious the number of rebounds per game total when Tisdale and Grant played in those high powered fast break offenses compared to todays game (including when Griffin played)? Tisdale was an awesome rebounder, as was Grant and King was pretty good too. Tisdale and Spangler were closer to the same height -- a good 2 inches shorter than Grant and 4-5 inches shorter than Griffin and King. Rebounding is about positioning and leverage more than anything but height helps.

Of this list though, Spangler is the 4th best since I started watching OU basketball (Adams was just before my time). Al Beal was pretty good too, and I'm surprised he isn't on that list.

I also wonder what Jameel Haywood's stats would be had he played more minutes as he was more of a spot player but was a very solid rebounder.

I'm still on team Polla but I understand other peoples opinions about parts of his game. He is slow with the ball posting up and collapsing guards will steal his lunch money if he can't accelerate the decision making part of his game. I also think defensively he's a liability on the pick and roll. Does not look to comfortable being put in that position. I'm not sure how'd he'd fair iso'd against shooting or agile bigs but I'd imagine he could be exposed some in that regard as well.

All that said, I still think it's a little premature to give up on the big man. Hopefully Money takes that next step next year and get 25-30 minutes a game. That leaves 10-15 minutes trying to use Polla or whoever gets those minutes in a positive way.

I don't think Hannes will be a scoring juggernaut unless we continue to not convert layups like last year. He could be a 20 and 10 guy just off of 10 put-backs a game if he gets his positioning right.:ez-roll:: Joking aside, if the opposing big man sags off him, I think he is capable of hitting that 10-15 foot shot. He's got some touch around the rim as well but struggles mightily in traffic. Scoring the ball is important but my gage of success for Polla is not really going to be stat driven. Just do the little things. Be the garbage man, the junk yard dog and the bouncer of the team. We need that even if its limited.

Hannes main goal should be to wear down and nullify his man rebounding. Be competitive on the glass and in the lane. It would be nice to see the other teams bigs drained and bruised at the end of games. If you have to go zone on defense to hide him in the lane for 10 min. a game so be it. He's not going to be an athletic shot blocker like Money but maybe he won't be out of position as much if the shot misses. Body up and stand your ground. Force tough shots but be in position to do something to eliminate second chance points on D. Don't go for ball fakes and use that girth to pave out a section.

I'd show the entire team some Ernie Abercrombie highlights of him holding his own against Scott Pollard and Raef Lafrentz. After that history lesson, show them highlights of the movie Bloodsport and Frank Dux wrecking shop at the Kumite. If that doesn't compel you to go punch dancing in the woods and fist fight Sasquatch you're not doing it right. Don't lose faith in the Yeti slayer from Finland. He's traveled to far to secure the hardwood of Lloyd Noble to lumber and not plunder.

I'm still on team Polla but I understand other peoples opinions about parts of his game. He is slow with the ball posting up and collapsing guards will steal his lunch money if he can't accelerate the decision making part of his game. I also think defensively he's a liability on the pick and roll. Does not look to comfortable being put in that position. I'm not sure how'd he'd fair iso'd against shooting or agile bigs but I'd imagine he could be exposed some in that regard as well.

All that said, I still think it's a little premature to give up on the big man. Hopefully Money takes that next step next year and get 25-30 minutes a game. That leaves 10-15 minutes trying to use Polla or whoever gets those minutes in a positive way.

I don't think Hannes will be a scoring juggernaut unless we continue to not convert layups like last year. He could be a 20 and 10 guy just off of 10 put-backs a game if he gets his positioning right.:ez-roll:: Joking aside, if the opposing big man sags off him, I think he is capable of hitting that 10-15 foot shot. He's got some touch around the rim as well but struggles mightily in traffic. Scoring the ball is important but my gage of success for Polla is not really going to be stat driven. Just do the little things. Be the garbage man, the junk yard dog and the bouncer of the team. We need that even if its limited.

Hannes main goal should be to wear down and nullify his man rebounding. Be competitive on the glass and in the lane. It would be nice to see the other teams bigs drained and bruised at the end of games. If you have to go zone on defense to hide him in the lane for 10 min. a game so be it. He's not going to be an athletic shot blocker like Money but maybe he won't be out of position as much if the shot misses. Body up and stand your ground. Force tough shots but be in position to do something to eliminate second chance points on D. Don't go for ball fakes and use that girth to pave out a section.

I'd show the entire team some Ernie Abercrombie highlights of him holding his own against Scott Pollard and Raef Lafrentz. After that history lesson, show them highlights of the movie Bloodsport and Frank Dux wrecking shop at the Kumite. If that doesn't compel you to go punch dancing in the woods and fist fight Sasquatch you're not doing it right. Don't lose faith in the Yeti slayer from Finland. He's traveled to far to secure the hardwood of Lloyd Noble to lumber and not plunder.

You should post more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like you..... Post more

that was a nice read dsuits. I see a tightly-packed zone on one end and a ton of put-backs on the other.

1. Alvan Adams . 12.85,
2. Blake Griffin . 11.84
5. Don Sidle . 10.03
6. Harvey Grant . 9.63
7. Ryan Spangler . 8.85

Interesting for sure. Remeber that Spangler benefits from having played a year at Gonzaga when his rebounding numbers here would have been less because of less playing time as a freshman. Most players aren't as productive as a freshman although many of these guys were stars right away. Harvey also only had the two years. Harvey was the better rebounder than King and he hurt Stacey's numbers because he was taking a bunch of them. Stacey also barely saw the court as a freshman.

Spangler did a great job for us on the glass. He actually could hold his position and then had good hands grabbing the ball.

Great read, dsuits! Consider me a fan of your creative writing skills.

I think it’s way too early to give up on Hannes Polla. For one thing, he’s a freshman who didn’t see the floor enough to gauge what he could do two years from now. What we do know is that he’s a 6’ 11” 265 manchild, in basketball terms, who could turn into a realmonster in the paint if he learns to use his unique size to an advantage.

I prefer to take the word of our coaches or posters who have seen him in practice, over a handful of “experts” who have made up their mind after watching him play last season. His hands and his missed layups from point blank range are troubling to me. But I’m not going to pretend to know how much he will improve between now and next year. I’m just going to enjoy the ride and look forward to watching him play.

Oh I know there was some tongue-in-cheek but I was seriously giving you the benefit of the doubt. You might be faster. I am just saying he has the size to help if he will get the coaching., regardless of speed. I would give that guy drills to run over and over and over. Then do it all over again. That includes a grad assistant or a volunteer with shoulder pads and a broom to defend him as he works on turning over each shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol...yeah at least a trip or 2.

I agree, he has size and isn't a big piece of fat...it's just girth. Def needs repetition. The bigs in today's game need to be pretty athletic. KL and JM have the athleticism, but lack polished skills or the "girth" to be physical...it's a rare combo.

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I haven't posted much but have been reading this board and getting to know you all throughout the years. I should give props to OULeopard for showing his spots once again and motivating me to word salad my thoughts on screen. I'm just the typical diehard, take a charge, shoot for the stars, deep runs in March, fandom man looking for bread and circuses in Sooner Land. Woo!!!

I grew up in rural country Oklahoma and as a young kid I'd have to convince my mom that bedtime on a school night was after Bob Barry broke it down. During the 1980's, I must have listened to Linda Cavanaugh report on robberies at 7Eleven a thousand times waiting for any info on OU sports.

Not that it matters, but I became a OU basketball fan before football.
I remember I asked my mom, "when can I play basketball?" "Forth Grade" she replied. I looked at her and said, "No... when can I play at OU?" She didn't have the scouting report on lock, like I do now to tell me my jump shot is whack, my left hand needs work and that "Jumani" growth spurt ended in 9th grade. She still came to every game like it was game 7.

I did grow up around rattlesnakes though. When your running around in the prairie and come across a rattlesnake you instinctually know the risk reward for your next move. It can go well, swell, to hell strikingly fast. My expert snake charming, money back guarantee youtube scouting formula consist of watching film and evaluate what I see are positives and negatives. Identify your strengths and weaknesses. Remember, people don't plan to fail. They fail to plan. Enron is the exception because they did both simultaneously. It's that old wise tale about finding the industrial shredder to find the paper trail pot of evaporating golden pensions gobbledygook.

I thought Darrion Strong-Moore would be a player when he was catching some heat on here. I was off on my assessment. He played hurt and it did not work out here but He moved on to average 14 a game and was second team Heartland at UASF this year. Getting to know his backstory, I was pulling for the kid. It wouldn't make me feel enlightened to bag on a commit and If he washes out or underperforms to self proclaim I scouted this out years ago. Coaches are the ones that make the offers, I'm just trying to find what they see. Every player at this level should be working on their craft. For some, the rewards are massive and for others its a opportunity for 4 years of college. I wish them all well. Player projection is pretty complex when you break it down and factor in you are dealing with young people that are still developing outside of basketball.

I think Polla and Kauth have potential but its up to them to prove it. My declaration means very little but I feel better after watching the NFLnetwork pay a psychic to evaluate Baker Mayfield. Mel Kiper is scrambling, reshuffling the mock draft deck trying to put this rabbit hare back into his hat.

I hope Lazenby, Kuath, Polla, Freeman, Dolittle, James, Jumuni, Manek, Odoms, Bieniemy, and hopefully some solid transfers feel a responsibility to leave it all out on the court as a team. I don't say this for me but want this for them.

Nice read dsuits. You are right that the players have to work. Some like to say if they're not good now they can't ever be good, others say they were highly rated and didn't get good coaching, I say the right guys with the right attitude will become successful.

Nice read dsuits. You are right that the players have to work. Some like to say if they're not good now they can't ever be good, others say they were highly rated and didn't get good coaching, I say the right guys with the right attitude will become successful.

I'm with you Darwin, growing up on a farm I learned a important saying. "Can't never got anything done."
It's useless to use mental jiu-jistu against a harden farmer. Whatever you say they will counter with crushing seasoned life experiences.

As for the team, the guys need to improve individually but it's all for not if they don't drastically improve being better decision making teammates. I think the squad actually enjoys each other, maybe so much that its a deterrent to some degree. It's hard to criticize people you like and are around all the time. Being a leader and holding yourself and others accountable could be considered a full time job and pays like one in a Hollywood Hills shrink's office. (Insert drum line and cymbal to hammer that laugh track home) Anyways, that's why it was kinda surreal when people here brought up there were opposing factions in the locker room. Be it hogwash, fatigue, injuries, pettiness or legitimate reasons I could catch hints they quit on each other. I tried to ignore what i was watching or whisk certain situation away but I think it was happening to some extent during the season. I'm probably just overanalyzing and understand every player takes plays off. Either way its a shame because its easy to pull for each one of these kids and I will continue too. I don't want to blow this out of proportion because it happens to every team every year. Peaks and Valleys, tidal pull to eating tide pods can led to a state of flux. Teams deal with it differently. Its just not a real useful learned habit to revert back when things aren't flowing.

Two seasons ago was bad but you could see the team responding some at the end of the year to have a glimmering hope the growing pains would be worth it. Add Young and Manek and we come humming out the gates this year. Glad that bad taste in my mouth is dissipating and metamorphosing into this sweet nectar... Hold on, Pump the brakes, acid reflux is back. That's the hardest thing about this season for the players. It's not a lost year but just a (IMO) squandered opportunity. Happens all the time to good teams. They should be proud of playing a good first half of the season and intensely motivated to get back to that level. Question is how do they respond? They had some momentum and it sputtered. Do you come back twice as hard or take the easy way out when it gets tough?

Kruger shouldn't have to be called on all the time to motivate competitive athletes. You think Kruger had problems self motivating himself during his college years? That's my concern for next year. A completely different team but with a large sum of returning players that lost confidence in the consistency of their competitive spirit. A positive about this overblown opinion piece of mine is there's a whole bunch of others teams trying to figure this out as well. Have to find one guy to get that fire relit so it can spread throughout the team. Hopefully it's all ready happing.

Back