Harrison Barnes Diary to Duke

runner1182

Reaction score
As he navigates through the hectic recruiting process, HighSchoolHoop’s top-rated player, Ames High (IA) swingman Harrison Barnes has agreed to chronicle his thoughts for us during each of his five official visits. First was North Carolina, then Oklahoma, followed by Kansas. Now Barnes shares his experiences from his official visit to Duke last weekend …

My flight got into Raleigh/Durham at 11:45 p.m. on Thursday. I had Coach Wojo (Steve Wojciechowski), Coach (Nate) James and Coach (Chris) Carawell waiting to pick me up. Coach James and Coach Carawell gave me a ride to the hotel. But it was crazy; I had an eyelash stuck in my eye, and by the time I got that out, I was warmly greeted by Coach K at the front of the hotel. They took me up to my room and I got to get some sleep. It was a really nice hotel, too; it was the Washington Duke.

Friday, I got up early and was greeted by the entire coaching staff and we had breakfast at the hotel. That was really good, and then from there I got to go to class with one of my really good friends Andre Dawkins (Class of 2009), who I had not seen this summer. So I was excited about that. Andre’s good people.

Then I had a chance to get some shots up at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Andre and I were just shooting around and that was really cool to just do that. After that we had lunch in one of the side rooms and I got a chance to meet the Secretary of Veteran Affairs. I really enjoyed that a lot.

Then I got a chance to watch Duke practice, and that was a great time to see Coach K interact with the players and see how they prepare for games. I think the most impressive thing about that was the discipline. Rarely does Coach K ever have to raise his voice. He has practice timed down to a science, and he’ll just say little things and the team will respond quickly. That was really impressive to me.

After practice I had a meeting with the Dean of Undergraduate Admissions. That was really good to see what Duke’s about and get a feel for the university.

After that I got a chance to go over to Coach K’s house and have a steak and lobster dinner, which was just a really cool time. Following that I got a chance to sit with the team and watch film while they prepared for the Pfeiffer game the next day.

Then I got a chance to go out with the players and see how the other side of Carolina has a good time, and I would say that I definitely had a good time.

So Saturday morning, the day began with a meeting with the Dean of the Law School. That gave me more information about the university and the law aspect of it. Then we had a team breakfast and following that we had a team shootaround.

After that the coaching staff, my family and I had a tour of the East campus, which included the dorms, the dining halls and part of the Durham area.

One of the coolest things I got to see was the Duke Chapel, where I got a tour from a really cool guy named Oscar, who was very gesticulated about giving me the tour. He was just a really cool guy. Then we saw the rooftop of the Bell Tower, which was a powerful experience.

Following that we all went back to the basketball office and watched the highlight videos of the coaches when they were players. We especially liked Coach (Chris) Collins’ video and (Oklahoma) Coach (Jeff) Capel’s video. I’ve got to give a shout-out to Coach Capel because he surprised me with how good he was. I didn’t know that he had bounce like that!

After we had a bunch of laughs at the videos, I got to meet with the Director of Academics and the Dean of the Business School. We talked about how I would go about getting my certificate.

After that was the Pfeiffer exhibition game and that was a great experience for me, not only to be at Duke again and to be in that atmosphere, but also to see Andre’s first game. I was impressed! He dropped a 12-piece out there and did his thing! That was good to see.

I also want to give a shout-out to the Cameron Crazies for all of their efforts! I just want to tell them thank you. They did a great job and they had some very creative things to show me. They had some very cool tactics and some of the clothing that they wore was just really cool. They just did a great job.

Then after the game we had a chance to go out with the players and hang out with them a little more, which was a great time. And Sunday morning I had breakfast with Coach K and the staff at the Washington Duke and then I said my goodbye’s and I went home.

The visit was great. Obviously, I’ve been to Duke a lot, but it was just great to see more of the academic side and develop closer relationships with the players and spend more time with them.
Now I’m ready to visit UCLA, and of course I’ll be telling you guys all about it next week. (www.dimemag.com)

Last edited:
Wow, what a kid. Sounds like he had a great visit.
Best of luck Harrison!

Yikes.
Sounds like Duke is way out in front.

The fact that he even mentions us and we are in the running just blows my mind based on where we were at 5-10 years ago...

He sounds like an awesome kid. Maybe it is my bias but some of the stuff they did sounded lame. I know Barnes is a smart kid so maybe that is what he wanted.

IMHO I see him as a Blue Devil. I still have a feeling we could get him, but it would be fine if he were to play for Coach K. In fact, I think it would be a great fit. I'll be rooting for him no matter where he goes (it will be tough if he goes to KU tho).

Although, I do like the Jeff Capel shout out! haha

:jcapel:woot:clap

The fact that he even mentions us and we are in the running just blows my mind based on where we were at 5-10 years ago...

Do you mean three consecutive Big XII Tournament Championships and in the final four by where we were 5-10 years ago?

Incredible post. That kind of ignorance isn't seen very often.

Do you mean three consecutive Big XII Tournament Championships and in the final four by where we were 5-10 years ago?

I may be wrong, but I took the guy's post to mean that recruits of that calibar that didn't have local ties weren't looking at us 5-10 years ago....

True, but we weren't in the running for this quality of talent in fairness. I do think a lot of people for some reason seem to think OU wasn't any good before Capel got here. It is annoying because we are selling ourself short.

I thought I would do a quick run down of the years leading up to the Capel era (anyone is welcome to correct me or add things):

2005-06
Record: 20-9
Big XII Record:11-5
Some Key wins: We swept OSU, beat Texas, and Alabama

In the end, we made the tourney as a 6 seed. Michael Neal is named Big XII newcomer of the year, on the all rookie team and is an honorable mention for the all big XII team, Taj Gray and Terell Everett is named to the all Big XII second team, Gray is named to the all Big XII defensive team, Bookout was an All-Big 12 honorable mention selection.

2004-05
Record: 25-8
Big XII Record:12-4
some key wins: Purdue, Uconn, KU, Texas twice
We made Ncaa tournament as a no. 3 seed and got to the round of 32 and lost to a good Utah team headed by the Bogut the NPOY. We got the semi-finals in the big XII tournament. Taj Gray was a First-Team All-Big 12 selection and was also named the conference’s newcomer of the year. Bookout was all Big XII third team, Everett was all Big XII honorable mention.

2003-04
Record: 20-11
Big XII Record: 8-8
Some Key wins: Michigan State, Purdue, LSU
OU made the NIT, and beat LSU in the first game of the tournament before a tough loss to Michigan. We were led by McDAA Drew Lavender who earned big XII rookie of the week and player of the week awards during the season. This was a good team in a relatively down season.

2002-03
Record: 27-7
Big XII Record: 12-4
Some Key wins: UConn, Michigan State, Kansas.

OU was named the Big XII champions, were a No 1 seed in the NCAA tourney, reached the elite 8 losing to eventual champions Syracuse. Hollis Price was named Big XII player of the year, was a Wooden award finalist, was named to the All-Defense Team and first team all conference. Quannas White was named to the all Big XII underrated team. De'Angelo Alexander was named to the conference all-reserve team. Bookout was named to the All-Freshman Team.

I could continue, but my point is that Capel has done a wonderful job, but it isn't like OU was a bad program leading up to his tenure. I think of Capel as a continuation of our programs success.

Perception is everything. And the perception with these kids is OU wasn't even on the radar before Capel. Even Harrison Barnes said that and he's as smart and classy as top recruits get.
Bottom line is under Sampson OU didn't put players into the NBA and wasn't "seen" at the summer camps and AAU tourneys like the other coaches. That is what these kids see. Whether you like it or not that is a reality.
Capel works much harder at recruiting than Sampson. Plus he's got personality. That's the difference.

I understand that perception among recruits is critical to getting in on blue chip guys. However, I think that there is a perception amongst our fans that from Billy ball to Capel we weren't any good except when Hollis was here and I don't think that is true. I think that if our fans recognize our recent success both with Capel and before Capel support for the program will increase. When the fans are more aware of our recent success recruits are more likely to be aware of our recent successes. Either way, I am somewhat tired of OU fans pretending that our program wasn't successful until Blake got here. BG did so much for our program, but I think he continued our excellence rather than initiated it.

I understand that perception among recruits is critical to getting in on blue chip guys. However, I think that there is a perception amongst our fans that from Billy ball to Capel we weren't any good except when Hollis was here and I don't think that is true. I think that if our fans recognize our recent success both with Capel and before Capel support for the program will increase. When the fans are more aware of our recent success recruits are more likely to be aware of our recent successes. Either way, I am somewhat tired of OU fans pretending that our program wasn't successful until Blake got here. BG did so much for our program, but I think he continued our excellence rather than initiated it.

I for one, have known of our great tradition and consistency for a long time. But I know where you are coming from. The common perception of not being a good program during Sampson's tenure, needs to change. :kelvin

Last edited:
5 years ago OU signed a McD's AA in Drew Lavendar and 3 other Top 100 players in Foust, McKenzie, and Longar (according to RSCI). That is something Capel has yet to match in terms of 4 consensus Top 100 players. The year before OU signed 2 Top 100 players (Bookout, Alexander). By the 00's Sampson was recruiting at a pretty high level. You have to remember that Capel took over a program that was coming off of bad press but extremely successful at the same time. OU scored the perfect coach to capitalize off of what Sampson had built.

5 years ago OU signed a McD's AA in Drew Lavendar and 3 other Top 100 players in Foust, McKenzie, and Longar (according to RSCI). That is something Capel has yet to match in terms of 4 consensus Top 100 players. The year before OU signed 2 Top 100 players (Bookout, Alexander). By the 00's Sampson was recruiting at a pretty high level. You have to remember that Capel took over a program that was coming off of bad press but extremely successful at the same time. OU scored the perfect coach to capitalize off of what Sampson had built.
Good post. Most wouldn't argue that Capel is a better recruiter, but to act like Kelvin wasn't becoming a good recruiter during the latter part of his stay at OU is laughable.

Now, go ahead and come with "but he called recruits 1 extra time per couple of weeks" and I'll go ahead and laugh at you and point you to someone like John Calipari, or any coach really.

I for one, have known of our great tradition and consistency for a long time. But I know where you are coming from. The common perception of not being a good program during the Sampson's tenure, needs to change. :kelvin
Im very impressed with your knowledge denversooner,and you are right we were good before capel came i think coach sampson was just a oldschool guy that believed in some old school tradition when it came to recruiting have you heard the old saying you better get with the program well capel is one of those coaches that got with the program it is a new era my sooner people with these kids today and 4yrs. is not enough time to teach these kids the oldschool way thats were coach capel comes in a coach that understands these kids lingo and have the respect from these new age players and can bring out the best in them but recruiting is one thing and wining is another i think after this season it will define the true champion i believe coach capel is ,capel will do something that coach sampson never done at OU, and thats win a championship again just my opinion.

I for one, have known of our great tradition and consistency for a long time. But I know where you are coming from. The common perception of not being a good program during Sampson's tenure, needs to change.

I am often amazed that people who post here frequently, seem to have a good grasp of OU's bball history, and are avid followers of our program seem to think that Capel brought success to our program. Capel didn't bring success, he continued it.

The thing Capel has done is brought elite talent, but he still doesn't have a conference title or final four (yet). I am really confident Capel will get there. Also to be fair, he came into a situation with NCAA and self-imposed restrictions, and a defection of an entire recruiting class. He has certainly done a lot to get this team achieving at a high level and I know we can win a championship with him. I am just annoyed that people seem to either no recognize or disparage our past successes.

A lot of people around here complain about not getting national recognition for our program. Well, if you want that recognition, let's make sure we recognize that we have a great program first. The media in Oklahoma get accused of not giving us our due recognition. Well, maybe that is because our fans don't. If they are trying to sell papers and get listeners from fans who are knowledgeable of our history then they will have to recognize the programs success. However, before we as fans can complain about a lack of respect from the media and other fan bases, we need to make sure we understand and respect our own program.

Argh...these little nit-picking arguments are so lame. We need the season to start so we can talk about the team. Anyone who thinks that OU isn't one of the top programs in the country with a rich tradition is either ignorant or biased. However, anyone who doesn't recognize that Capel is doing things at OU that have never been done before is also either ignorant or biased.

Chico makes the best point here...Capel is the right man for this time at OU. It doesn't mean we don't think the world of Kelvin or Billy...it has nothing to do with that. But Capel is doing the things that you have to do to compete as a national power in the current climate of college hoops.

Just use Coach K as an example. Back when Duke had their four straight Final Fours and back-to-back titles with Laetner and Hurley, Coach K ran a tight ship and had a very disciplined offense, ala Bobby Knight. But as the game changed and became so much more athletic, Coach K changed things up and went to a more open offensive style that emphasized player's decision making and creativity.

To compete at the highest level these days, you have to have the elite athletes, which is why recruiting is more important than ever. And to get elite athletes to maximize their impact in games, you have to play a style that allows them freedom and creativity. This is what makes Capel the perfect guy for this time at OU.

To compete at the highest level these days, you have to have the elite athletes, which is why recruiting is more important than ever. And to get elite athletes to maximize their impact in games, you have to play a style that allows them freedom and creativity. This is what makes Capel the perfect guy for this time at OU.

Exactly.

Im very impressed with your knowledge denversooner,and you are right we were good before capel came i think coach sampson was just a oldschool guy that believed in some old school tradition when it came to recruiting have you heard the old saying you better get with the program well capel is one of those coaches that got with the program it is a new era my sooner people with these kids today and 4yrs. is not enough time to teach these kids the oldschool way thats were coach capel comes in a coach that understands these kids lingo and have the respect from these new age players and can bring out the best in them but recruiting is one thing and wining is another i think after this season it will define the true champion i believe coach capel is ,capel will do something that coach sampson never done at OU, and thats win a championship again just my opinion.

One sentence. I'm not a spelling nazi or anything, but please try using punctuation in your posts. I stopped reading after line 2.

Back