Henry's staying at KU...

Cheno - serious question - how will the Kansas fans react to these two players and their father? Or is the father the only problem?

I can't speak for all KU fans but I think it's mainly Carl just talking to the media. I've never heard one negative word out of Xavier. In all his interviews he's real down to earth, always smiling and a yes sir/no sir young man. Regarding how the fans will react to them is easy. KU fans will love them. The minute they run out of that tunnel the crowd will love them. The minute they get on campus they will love them. Of course all this drama the last few days has people upset...but that will be forgotten. KU fans are passionate (sometimes to a fault) about hoops and their players. A KU hoops players is family...sometimes family has flaws....but still family.
Honestly, this is why you haven't seen me stressed at all with this or going off in threads or anything. I really want X and CJ at KU but if for some odd reason they aren't that's cool. Life goes on and KU has a ton of talent, is in on a ton of talent in the upcoming classes and has, IMO, the best basketball coach in the game. I'm as hardcore and passionate and uptight as they come about KU but I'm really not sweating it anymore. That is how much I believe in Bill Self. And really I feel the exact same way with Jeff Capel. I seriously used to worry about OU getting players or if they missed out on a guy I was upset. Not anymore because I know Capel is going to get someone else that is great. It's a nice feeling to have.

No you started 3 KU related threads in the last 2 days. Please stop jacking this OU BB and go to the phog.

There are 4 other KU threads on the front page alone started by OU fans... Lets not pretend like he isnt starting threads nobody is interested in.

His KU threads on the front page have a total of 75 replies... This thread is the second most replied-to thread on the entire front page, lol. The most replied to thread on the front page is a KU thread started by Bigtime, lol.

Last edited:
I can't speak for all KU fans but I think it's mainly Carl just talking to the media. I've never heard one negative word out of Xavier. In all his interviews he's real down to earth, always smiling and a yes sir/no sir young man. Regarding how the fans will react to them is easy. KU fans will love them. The minute they run out of that tunnel the crowd will love them. The minute they get on campus they will love them. Of course all this drama the last few days has people upset...but that will be forgotten. KU fans are passionate (sometimes to a fault) about hoops and their players. A KU hoops players is family...sometimes family has flaws....but still family.
Honestly, this is why you haven't seen me stressed at all with this or going off in threads or anything. I really want X and CJ at KU but if for some odd reason they aren't that's cool. Life goes on and KU has a ton of talent, is in on a ton of talent in the upcoming classes and has, IMO, the best basketball coach in the game. I'm as hardcore and passionate and uptight as they come about KU but I'm really not sweating it anymore. That is how much I believe in Bill Self. And really I feel the exact same way with Jeff Capel. I seriously used to worry about OU getting players or if they missed out on a guy I was upset. Not anymore because I know Capel is going to get someone else that is great. It's a nice feeling to have.

There does seem to be a small epidemic of parents who don't know when to keep their mouth shut and think their son or daughter's athletic career is all about them. Obnoxious parents of players have been around forever, but it seems that they have been interviewed more than usual over the past few years.

There are 4 other KU threads on the front page alone started by OU fans... Lets not pretend like he isnt starting threads nobody is interested in.
His KU threads on the front page have a total of 75 replies... This thread is the second most replied-to thread on the entire front page, lol. The most replied to thread on the front page is a KU thread started by Bigtime, lol.

KU Hoops is like Howard Stern...some people love them, most people hate them but EVERYBODY loves talking about them! :chestram2:

There does seem to be a small epidemic of parents who don't know when to keep their mouth shut and think their son or daughter's athletic career is all about them. Obnoxious parents of players have been around forever, but it seems that they have been interviewed more than usual over the past few years.

Not to turn this into a media bash because the parents you are referring to bring it on themselves but the media is looking for things like this to stir things up. And if you notice it's more and more the newspaper guys.
Years ago newspaper columnist wrote articles mainly based on facts. If you notice more and more they are turning to hype. That's because newspapers are dying fast. They are trying to spark interest so people will continue to buy those rags.

Enough is enough. Give it a rest for Pete's sake!

Last edited by a moderator:

There is no reason that they all can't be one giant thread. I started the "trouble at the phog" thread hoping that would happen.

I don't see any reason to have 5 different threads about the Henrys.

Also, abd, this stuff has been all over national boards and other teams' boards. It is big news. Normally, we don't have a KU thread on the first page....

There is no reason that they all can't be one giant thread. I started the "trouble at the phog" thread hoping that would happen.

I don't see any reason to have 5 different threads about the Henrys.

Also, abd, this stuff has been all over national boards and other teams' boards. It is big news. Normally, we don't have a KU thread on the first page....

Why not this website is domintated by KU fans and there 3 threads a day now and it is allowed to happen. Whats wrong with another KU thread started by a KU fan? We should change the name of this website to OU/KU hoops.

Why not this website is domintated by KU fans and there 3 threads a day now and it is allowed to happen. Whats wrong with another KU thread started by a KU fan? We should change the name of this website to OU/KU hoops.

Holy Lord, tell me this isnt happening.

Let's get this back on the topic guys — Henry staying at KU and it's effects on the Big 12 and College Basketball season. If the thread continues to spiral about the fan stuff after this post, we'll just shut it down for good.

I'm so sick of hearing about

" the henrys " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Let's get back to bashing Carl Henry. In actuality, as obnoxious as Cheno is, he's one of the more moderate KU fans. Isn't that saying somethin.

Let's get back to bashing Carl Henry. In actuality, as obnoxious as Cheno is, he's one of the more moderate KU fans. Isn't that saying somethin.

Thanks Dirty.....I think. :clap

I was in Houston working today, did Carl go on with Al?

Nope, chemistry is huge in hoops. Juggling all those egos is more likely to tear the team down than win anything significant.

please. "egos" causing an issue so overrated.

having players that don't jump high or can't shoot causes issues, not egos.

please. "egos" causing an issue so overrated.

having players that don't jump high or can't shoot causes issues, not egos.

Totally agree. I can't remember the last well coached team that was a disaster of a season because of egos. It's something people talk about when a team has a lot of talent and no weaknesses.

Yes. It was a fluff interview all the way. Al wouldn't ask any tough questions, and Carl said it was all just a misunderstanding, and that The Kansas City Star article was slanted against him. It was very strange though-at one point in the interview, he slipped up and said "Coach Cal" instead of "Coach Self."
Very strange. He also said the reason why Xavier wasn't in Lawrence was because of major dental surgery.

Yes. Very reserved. Here's a recap of a poster from the phog that listened.

I am in OKC and listened to the whole thing in the car. Carl was definitely reserved (for Carl) and somewhat careful. However, I didn't have any problem with what he said during the interview. He admitted he said all those things; what he was mad about is the way McCullough portrayed/slanted the article. Seemed to me like he felt he was being honest answering McCullough's questions but the article was slanted to make him seem like an arrogant jerk. Said his brother told him to step back and stay out of it all but said he didn't feel like he did anything wrong.
Also told Al Eschbach that he is going to stay out of the way if the boys aren't playing as much as he or they think they should. Said that is up to Coach Self and how hard they work. He said if they aren't working hard then they deserve to sit down. Also said that he thinks CJ will play a lot if he plays up to his capabilities.
Also said the part about the recruiting being reopened between Kansas and Kentucky was taken out of context/overblown. Said he meant the boys could do whatever they wanted and not that it was reopened.
All in all a good interview overall. Carl definitely likes to talk. I wish Al would have asked him more about his playing days and followed up on the question he asked about OKC high school legends Louis Armstrong and Winford Boynes. I saw them both play when I was a little kid in the 70's and even at the age of 7-8 I knew they were awesome. Louis Armstrong wound up getting shot and killed. He was unbelievable but one of those kids who had no parental guidance and got mixed up with some bad dudes. Winford wound up being a first round draft pick of the Nets but never really panned out. He played a lot in Europe and Carl said he is still playing in Europe in his 50's. Not sure I believe that part but I had heard he was still playing in his 40's about 10 years ago.

Back