Holly Warlick out at Tennessee

kimard

Reaction score
Holly Warlick is out as Tennessee’s women’s basketball coach.

Athletic director Phillip Fulmer announced the coaching change on Wednesday, four days after Warlick completed her seventh season as the Lady Vols' coach.

"Holly and I met this afternoon, and I informed her of the decision to change leadership within the program," Fulmer said in a news release. "Holly has dedicated most of her adult life to the University of Tennessee and the Lady Vols program. She loves Tennessee, and Tennessee needs to always love her back. She was front and center as this program developed into the model for women's intercollegiate excellence.

"While it certainly stings to make this decision, I am charged with doing what I believe is best for this storied program. It's important to all of us that Lady Vols basketball maintains its status among the elite."

Tennessee's season ended Saturday with an 89-77 loss to UCLA in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Lady Vols finished 19-13, marking their worst season in the NCAA Tournament era.

Assistant coach Dean Lockwood will oversee the program until Tennessee hires Warlick's replacement.

Tennessee continued its streak of making every NCAA Tournament in the event's history, earning one of the final at-large bids for its 38th selection. The Lady Vols are the nation's only program to make the NCAA Tournament every year since its inception in 1982.

But that was about the only good thing that could be said for a season in which Tennessee failed to reach 20 wins for the first time since 1975-76, when only 27 games were played.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...ed-tennessee-lady-vols-basketball/2680292002/

Jeff walz is supposedly the favorite to replace her. As I posted on the other board yesterday. if they can not get a big name coach Kellie Harper at Missouri State played 4 years for Summit and won 3 national titles there. Her team just beat Iowa State.

Wonder if the Coale name will come up for the job?

Back