Honore' is apparently only a walk-on

Sooner23

Reaction score
Just got a call from a friend who heard Hale report on his radio show that Honore' is going to be a walk-on, and not on scholarship. I really hope this is true, because giving that guy a scholarship was puzzling to me.

That does make a little more sense.

I'm not trying to disrespect the guy, but his previous work doesn't warrant a scholarship. He may come in and do like Beau, work hard and earn himself a scholly.

Either way, when he comes to Norman, he is a Sooner. As a Sooner fan, we ought to hope he comes in and does well, works his tail off and has some on-court success.

Me to...I asked in a previous discussion if he was scholorship or a walk on and every seemed to think he was on scholly or atleast didnt respond

Why would you leave a situation where you are on scholarship, starting, and earning big minutes to walk-on somewhere and ride pine for 3 years?

That makes no sense to me.

I thought you said he was better than O-Allen? if thats the case he will still play...

I bet he ends up on scholarship at for at least part of the time he is at OU.

Why would you leave a situation where you are on scholarship, starting, and earning big minutes to walk-on somewhere and ride pine for 3 years?

Education. Or, maybe he plans to go into coaching and wants to learn the ropes at a major D1 program. Those are just the reasons that immediately come to mind. I could be way off.;)

Education. Or, maybe he plans to go into coaching and wants to learn the ropes at a major D1 program. Those are just the reasons that immediately come to mind. I could be way off.;)

Im guessing way off. It would be an insanely horrible decision if he left a scholarship situation and playing time to sit around and watch people play basketball.

Im guessing way off. It would be an insanely horrible decision if he left a scholarship situation and playing time to sit around and watch people play basketball.

My niece transferred from a DII volleyball scholarship to be a walk-on at OU. One of the reasons was she wanted to compete against better competition. Granted, she was pretty sure she would be in the rotation in spite of being a walk-on. But sometimes, you just want to compete at a higher level and see how you would do.

I'm not sure why you are assuming he won't play significant minutes in 2010 after a year working out with the team. It's not like we're deep and proven at his position after this season. Or am I missing someone that is "for sure" a star that will physically be able to play all 40 minutes and stay around for a few years?

It's probably a "pay your way" first year type thing. Good chance he contacted Capel first and let him know that he would walk-on the first year.

Maybe his family has the money? Probably tired of playing at a low major school and maybe Capel told him he'd have a chance to earn a scholarship after the first year. Who knows, but I sure do hope he is only a walk on.

I think it's also possible he wanted to be closer to his home and family. He can jump on I-35 from Norman and be in Garland in two hours or less. Kids have transferred to new schools for less important reasons than those listed on this thread so far. Just sayin'...

In any case, it's good to know he's a walk on until he has a chance to prove himself.

Personally speaking, I would love to have an old OU jersey to hang in my game room when I'm 40 years old instead of an Coppin State or UMKC jersey. I think I would rather be able to tell my kids some day that I played basketball for OU, I played in an NCAA tourney game, my team picture is hanging up at Lloyd Noble because I was on a final four team, I used to be teammates with NBA All Star Willie Warren, etc. These are the types of things you get when you go to an OU-type school. That is all assuming my parents could afford to send me to college of course.

My cousin played baseball at a Big 12 school, not OU. He tells his kids now that he played in a college world series, that he went 3-5 career against MLBer Mark Redman, he roomed with a major leaguer, etc. Regardless of how much he played, it is really cool to look back on. Playing a lot more for Oral Roberts would have also been cool, but I think I would rather have his stories.

I can understand why some would differ in opinion.

I agree. It's also very possible that he just wasnt happy at Southern and coming closer to home to play for a big name school with a possibility of getting in as a reserve in big games like Orlando Allen did last year against Syracuse or like Ryan Wright did against Texas and Kansas might be a fun thought to him.

I would have given up my 4 years of basketball scholarship to walk-on at KU or OU now under Capel.

Back