Is Goldwire the starting point guard?

thebigabd

Reaction score
And in addition to that, I wonder that the role of the point guard is in Moser's system. Does he have a traditional "role" system where the PG needs to run the offense or does he need a scorer at that spot? Or just someone who won't turn the ball over?

And in addition to that, I wonder that the role of the point guard is in Moser's system. Does he have a traditional "role" system where the PG needs to run the offense or does he need a scorer at that spot? Or just someone who won't turn the ball over?

to you first question yes ..

Id say yes to the 1st question.

I think goldwire left Duke for the opportuinty to score more but he wont be a score first offense.. I think he will run the offense and score at the rim on backcuts, back screens, etc...

He wont turn it over a ton or he wont play in Porters offense. He went to Big 12 media day. I think that says it all, youre the leader, you went to Duke, Now you lead here.

Just my opinions.

Id say yes to the 1st question.

I think goldwire left Duke for the opportuinty to score more but he wont be a score first offense.. I think he will run the offense and score at the rim on backcuts, back screens, etc...

He wont turn it over a ton or he wont play in Porters offense. He went to Big 12 media day. I think that says it all, youre the leader, you went to Duke, Now you lead here.

Just my opinions.

Yep. Harkless and Goldwire -- says a lot about what Porter expects: toughness, defense, team ball.

Goldwire was actually the one guy from the jump I was the most confident in starting, maybe besides Harkless. Here's who I think it'll be for the exhibition:

Goldwire
Harkless
Umoja
Hill
T.Groves

The one i'm least confident in is Gibson. Not sure who i'd slide in there though...

Goldwire was actually the one guy from the jump I was the most confident in starting, maybe besides Harkless. Here's who I think it'll be for the exhibition:

Goldwire
Harkless
Umoja
Hill
T.Groves

The one i'm least confident in is Gibson. Not sure who i'd slide in there though...

hill played mostly at the 3 today in the scrimmage ..

To me, three guys are set in stone:

Goldwire
Harkless
T. Groves

The other two spots are going to be rotated pretty heavily until we find the right mix. I like a big lineup with

Goldwire
Harkless
Hill
J. Groves or Mawein
T. Groves

I’ll say
Goldwire
Johnson
Harkless
Hill
Groves

Gibson j groves Rick cj Bijan

I’ll say
Goldwire
Johnson
Harkless
Hill
Groves

Gibson j groves Rick cj Bijan

Very interesting take. So nothing from Chargois or Mawein? I haven't heard anything good on Bijan early either. I heard someone say Mason was the best frosh over the summer and lately CJ was coming on. Good for Bijan if true.

Can't believe if you are right that Rick has passed, again, Ethan C and AK.

Very interesting take. So nothing from Chargois or Mawein? I haven't heard anything good on Bijan early either. I heard someone say Mason was the best frosh over the summer and lately CJ was coming on. Good for Bijan if true.

Can't believe if you are right that Rick has passed, again, Ethan C and AK.

Missed ethan! My apologies:)
He is going to play a ton

I think Rick is going to help.

I think Bijan could redshirt. I forgot to list mason and ethan…

What I'd like to see:

Goldwire
Gibson
Harkless
J. Groves or Mawein
T. Groves

What I suspect we're going to see:
Goldwire
Harkless
Hill
J. Groves or Mawein (chance this is Chargois too)
T. Groves

I'd let Chargois and Johnson be weapons off the bench. I'm not a big Hill fan, and would rather get a shooter (Gibson) in the starting lineup next to Goldwire and Harkless.

What I'd like to see:

Goldwire
Gibson
Harkless
J. Groves or Mawein
T. Groves

What I suspect we're going to see:
Goldwire
Harkless
Hill
J. Groves or Mawein (chance this is Chargois too)
T. Groves

I'd let Chargois and Johnson be weapons off the bench. I'm not a big Hill fan, and would rather get a shooter (Gibson) in the starting lineup next to Goldwire and Harkless.

I will never understand why people don't like Hill. He's the kind of guy every D-1 coach wants on his team. Athletic, plays his butt off, physical and fights for rebounds, loose balls, etc. not selfish, doesn't turn it over, defends multiple positions.

His only real sin is not being an aggressive scorer.

I will never understand why people don't like Hill. He's the kind of guy every D-1 coach wants on his team. Athletic, plays his butt off, physical and fights for rebounds, loose balls, etc. not selfish, doesn't turn it over, defends multiple positions.

This times a million. What’s funny is we have so many posters who clamor for guys who are “good basketball players” and who are tough and not soft, and yet people don’t seem to appreciate Hill.

Based on his tweets today, Martinez seems to think Johnson will play a lot.

Just for fun, I'll throw out my guess at opening day starting lineup (don't know much about half our team, so this isn't worth anything)

Goldwire
Gibson
Harkless
Hill
Groves

Just for fun, I'll throw out my guess at opening day starting lineup (don't know much about half our team, so this isn't worth anything)

Goldwire
Gibson
Harkless
Hill
Groves

Probably the most likely opening day lineup. I think the three returning players will get first shot. Rick is the most interesting of all our players to me though. Physically gifted ... but how good can he really be if Lon wouldn't even put him on the floor?

On the right team, there is probably a spot for him.

On this OU team, that is already starting a PG that isn't known as a scorer, and another guard (Harkless) that isn't known as a great shooter, I'd just prefer we get more offense on the court beside those guys.

I also don't look at Hill and think he is athletic as a wing/3. He's probably pretty athletic as a small 4, but we've been told that isn't where he is likely to play, and I'd argue he is less athletic than the other two options we have at the 4 (J. Groves and Mawein).

To me, Hill's role is already filled by others on the roster (ie, the hustler that does a little bit of everything). That's Goldwire. That's Harkless to a degree. That is going to be any of the freshman guards that play. That might even be J. Groves. A roster full of guys like that is going to struggle. I'd let Hill come off the bench and play with scorers like Johnson and Chargois. He can be the "glue" for that unit. The first unit already has guys like that.

On the right team, there is probably a spot for him.

On this OU team, that is already starting a PG that isn't known as a scorer, and another guard (Harkless) that isn't known as a great shooter, I'd just prefer we get more offense on the court beside those guys.

I also don't look at Hill and think he is athletic as a wing/3. He's probably pretty athletic as a small 4, but we've been told that isn't where he is likely to play, and I'd argue he is less athletic than the other two options we have at the 4 (J. Groves and Mawein).

To me, Hill's role is already filled by others on the roster (ie, the hustler that does a little bit of everything). That's Goldwire. That's Harkless to a degree. That is going to be any of the freshman guards that play. That might even be J. Groves. A roster full of guys like that is going to struggle. I'd let Hill come off the bench and play with scorers like Johnson and Chargois. He can be the "glue" for that unit. The first unit already has guys like that.

This is a reasonable opinion. But the issue I have is that people had the same opinion the past two years, when we had scorers like Reaves, Doo, and, to a lesser extent, Manek. Even with those guys in the lineup, people still complained about Hill, while at the same bemoaning a lack of guys who did the small things and played hard 100 percent of the time. I’m sure it’s like this with every fan base, though…people want players to be perfect and will naturally focus on their weaknesses.

Never understand?

To this point he has been pretty ineffective. He's a tweener. We will see what he does this year, but I think he should be playing forward at a school like Western Kentucky, Detroit, Ohio, Stephen F. Austin, etc.

0 points, 3 rebounds against OSU
2 points, 3 rebounds against WVU
0 points, 0 rebounds against Baylor
3 points, 1 rebound against ORU
2 points, 5 rebounds against Xavier
4 points, 4 rebounds against Mizzou
0 points, 0 rebounds against Texas
6 points, 2 rebounds against Texas Tech
4 points, 3 rebounds against Houston Baptist
1 point, 2 rebounds against Kansas State
4 points, 4 rebounds against TCU
6 points, 4 rebounds against Florida A&M

Thats half the season.

2.4 points and 2.3 rebounds per game. He had some decent games against Gonzaga, Bama, and ISU... But the most points he ever scored all year was 11. He scored in double figures twice all year.

Doesn't turn it over? He has 31 assists and 30 turnovers on his career.

The big hype on him out of high school was his 3pt shooting ability for a wing. Everyone loves the idea of the 6'6'' wing and it screams potential, but he hasn't shown much of it. Anything he has shown has been in the paint, scoring some random buckets in transition and stuff like that... He's hit 11 3's in two years at 29%. He's not even a good foul shooter for some reason. 68% on his career.

He just hasn't produced much... he's shown literally nothing on the "wing"... and anything he has done has been at the 4 spot.

Maybe he will blow up this year under a new regime and in a different roster situation.... But he's been 100% hype so far.

Back