Isaiah Cousins FT shooting and overall play.

jackson_supersooner

Reaction score
I'm sure you've noticed, as have I, during the last 2 games the announcers would say that "if your going to foul someone cousins is the best option of the 3 guards" as that may be true I wanted to check and see where Cousins stats have been since he came out of his "slump".

In the last 20 games he has averaged 77% FT shooting.

I remeber the first 14 games he was under 50% at one point and you could tell it was all mental. It even got to the point that it was trickling into his mind with his FG% shooting as he dipped under 40%.

But in his last 18 games Cousins has averaged 14.2 ppg on 46% FG shooting and 45% from 3.

That's a great stretch and a wonderful thing to really look at at this point because sometimes we look at him as being unreliable but in all reality he has been extremely consistent for us the last 18 games(which is a great stretch) and has been knocking down his FTs which is HUGE in the tourney.

I remeber at one point during the nova game the announcers were saying that they had heard from people that cousins might actually be the better NBA prospect between him and buddy because of his dribbling and defensive ability. Which, with knowing what we do now, is absurd. But you would have to think if he played that level all year he may have been able to snag some post season awards as well as maybe opening some NBA scouts eyes.

Any way. Had about 20 minutes of free time at work and I'm a stats nerd so that was pretty neat to realize just how good he has been for us down the stretch. And we've needed it with Woodard blistering shooting % falling as of late.

I'm sure you've noticed, as have I, during the last 2 games the announcers would say that "if your going to foul someone cousins is the best option of the 3 guards" as that may be true I wanted to check and see where Cousins stats have been since he came out of his "slump".

I remeber the first 14 games he was under 50% at one point and you could tell it was all mental. It even got to the point that it was trickling into his mind with his FG% shooting as he dipped under 40%.

But in his last 18 games Cousins has averaged 14.2 ppg on 46% FG shooting and 45% from 3.

That's a great stretch and a wonderful thing to really look at at this point because sometimes we look at him as being unreliable but in all reality he has been extremely consistent for us the last 18 games(which is a great stretch) and has been knocking down his FTs which is HUGE in the tourney.

I remeber at one point during the nova game the announcers were saying that they had heard from people that cousins might actually be the better NBA prospect between him and buddy because of his dribbling and defensive ability. Which, with knowing what we do now, is absurd. But you would have to think if he played that level all year he may have been able to snag some post season awards as well as maybe opening some NBA scouts eyes.

Any way. Had about 20 minutes of free time at work and I'm a stats nerd so that was pretty neat to realize just how good he has been for us down the stretch. And we've needed it with Woodard blistering shooting % falling as of late.

Cousins has been much better at the FT line in the 2nd half of the season and yes the struggles early were mental. Seems Spangler has caught that disease now.

The one thing I think Cousins has regressed in however is the turnover department. He has just not been taking great care of the basketball in the last 5-10 games. Seems he gets a little sloppy. Spangler has also been good for at least one hand away right underneath our basket every game it seems.

Cousins has been much better at the FT line in the 2nd half of the season and yes the struggles early were mental. Seems Spangler has caught that disease now.

The one thing I think Cousins has regressed in however is the turnover department. He has just not been taking great care of the basketball in the last 5-10 games. Seems he gets a little sloppy. Spangler has also been good for at least one hand away right underneath our basket every game it seems.

It may seem that way because of the WVU game (7 TO) but actually in the last 10 games, if you take away that game, he has only averaged 2.3 TO per game. Yes the WVU game was inexcusable and Yes he could be better but really I don't think 2.3 is too awful.

He has one of the better pull up jumpers inside the arc on the team.

He hit that really bad mid-season slump, but he's returned to form. I trust him to shoot important free throws. Thanks for putting the number together and pointing it out jackson_supersooner.

Cousins is playing well, but he is driving me crazy with his unforced showboat turnovers. He is good for 2-3 per game. He had two yesterday. Everytime I see one, I think of the guy playing coach haskins in glory road trying to get "bobby" to play fundamentally sound.

Probably just can't take the city ball out of his DNA. We will just have to live with it.

It may seem that way because of the WVU game (7 TO) but actually in the last 10 games, if you take away that game, he has only averaged 2.3 TO per game. Yes the WVU game was inexcusable and Yes he could be better but really I don't think 2.3 is too awful.

Well he had 6 yesterday. I think Cousins is the engine that makes this team go, and generally he had a good game yesterday, but the turnover problem has been more than just the WVU game.

Spangler hit both his free throws yesterday.

That was so good to see. It may sound strange with how close the game ended up, but that's when I knew we were going to win. :D

This thread guarantees we lose the next game on a cousins missed FT

;)

The announcers said that for two reasons:

a) they didn't bother to check Isaiah's stats the last 20 games the way you did. Props to you for your time and effort to prove how well our starting PG has been performing lately. I shudder to think about where we'd be if he had not been at the top of his game.

b) keep in mind, they were comparing his season free throw stats (67%) to Buddy and Jordan's 89% and 82% respectively from the charity stripe. So, while Isaiah may be the best option of our three guards to foul, his 77% of late puts him well above what I think of as a player I would want to put on the free throw line to get the ball back.

All good stuff, Jackson. Thanks for the update!

Spangler hit both his free throws yesterday.

Yes he did, that was good to see. That was also in the first half when OU was riding a pretty good run. What I'm getting at is there was no pressure on those particular free throws. Pressure is what brings those mental demons to the surface.

Yes he did, that was good to see. That was also in the first half when OU was riding a pretty good run. What I'm getting at is there was no pressure on those particular free throws. Pressure is what brings those mental demons to the surface.

I see your point, but I imagine that after a tough couple of games at the charity stripe, Ryan felt sufficient pressure. At this point in the season, every free throw carries a certain amount of pressure.

I see your point, but I imagine that after a tough couple of games at the charity stripe, Ryan felt sufficient pressure. At this point in the season, every free throw carries a certain amount of pressure.

I sure hope so. We need to see the aggression and confidence Spangler showed in the OSU game at home again!

It still is a true statement. And its a testament to how good Woodard and Hield are.

Cousins will always be a 2 and combo-ish guard trying to play the 1. That explains the turnovers

It still is a true statement. And its a testament to how good Woodard and Hield are.

Cousins will always be a 2 and combo-ish guard trying to play the 1. That explains the turnovers

His turnover rate is no higher than Woodard's was the past 2 years.

Yeah. Honestly Cousins is too much of a jump shooter to be a PG. it's such a weird deal too cause the guy has really good handles. But for some reason he's not great driving and finishing in the lane like Woodard is...

.I think if Cousins had played point from his freshman year on he coulda been good. But Woodard came in and that was the best place for Woodard to play his first 2 years cause he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

But I do agree Cousins is just a really good 2 guard. I think Kruger just saw (maybe in the offseason) that Woodard can hit threes at a high rate when he is set and that cousins can shoot the 3 just as good off the bounce as he can as a set shooter. So it would make sense to put the ball in Isaiah's hands and let him dish to buddy and Woodard.

Back