Jackson Jeffcoat wants to play basketball in college

Sooner23

Reaction score
Just read an update on a Scout site where he said he wants to find a school that will let him play both sports. I'm sure Capel would be down with it, but would Stoops?

Also, has anyone seen him play? He's listed at 6-5, 230 on Rivals, so I'm guessing he'd obviously be a big man. Anyone seen him play hoops?

Here's what ESPN said about his basketball skills..........

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr...ng/tracker/player?recruitId=44086&season=2010

Jackson Jeffcoat is a physical specimen for a kid in the 2010 class. He is incredibly strong and is a very gifted athlete. He is a load inside and is great on the glass. He uses more than just his strength in the post and has a go-to post move along with being able to seal for easy scores. He runs well and is a fundamentally sound player. He is a great rebounder and has a good nose for the ball. He enjoys initiating contact in the post and is a good finisher at the basket. Jeffcoat should be a high major target in that class, but the one question mark about him is regarding his size and if he is done growing. He is only 6-6 and has very little perimeter skills.

Last edited:
From what I understand, Sherri Coale is recruiting his twin sister and both have indicated a desire to go to the same school.

Not sure of the accuracy of the report but that is what I understand.

Jeffcoat was the second leading scorer for a very good Plano West team that has Baylor commit Bakari Turner. Averaged around 14pts and 10rbs. He's probably a better high D1 basketball prospect than his sister. He didn't play Team Texas last week, but alot of kids had prom. He'll never play Bball in college. If he uses that as a negotiating technique, he won't be going to OU. He might get a lie from a guy like Lane Kiffin and Bruce Pearl just to get him to commit, but in the end, football players don't play basketball nowadays.

I don't see it happening. Terrelle Pryor maybe could have done it. But you have to be an elite athlete in both sports, and coaches that will allow you to do so. No upper echelon coach is going to allow it.

Didn't Bennett (a TE) play both for a little bit at Texas A&M a couple years ago?

Didn't Bennett (a TE) play both for a little bit at Texas A&M a couple years ago?

Yes. Bennett even declared for the NBA draft. One common denominator in Bennett, Kendall Wright, the Baylor Football/basketball player, and even Jeffcoat. OU was involved with those guys heavy in football. I believe Wright committed to OU. Both of those guys were promised basketball time to commit. Now in Jeffcoat's case, I don't think he'll have that option with UT. Also, if you look at the head coaches at Baylor and the head coaches at A&M during Bennett's time, that will explain it all.

Heck even Marcus Monk did it this year for Arkansas.

Justin Gage saw decent minutes for Missouri.

As did his teammate, Ronald Curry.

There have been reports over the past few years to suggest that football players at OU would like to play basketball. I have even seen quotes from coaches to support the idea, Yet, nary a one has actually stepped onto the hardwood in my recent memory. I'll believe it when I see it.

As did his teammate, Ronald Curry.

There have been reports over the past few years to suggest that football players at OU would like to play basketball. I have even seen quotes from coaches to support the idea, Yet, nary a one has actually stepped onto the hardwood in my recent memory. I'll believe it when I see it.

Lendy, Sam and Gresham all can play, Pooh is ok...not sure they are OU material but they had some solid skills. The rest of the OU football players (when I was there) just relied on their superior athletic ability at the Huff.

Have to admit it was fun for us out-of-shape fraternity guys to beat the football players when they were done with the season, they seemed more upset losing to us then they did the NC.

Antonio Gates.

Has OU ever had a two sport guy? Was Dean Blevins one?

I remember OSU had lost a bunch of players to attrition, and they brought Alonzo Mayes in to play in the NIT. He and Tractor Traylor matched up.

charlie ward.

Ill take antonio gates aka jackson jeffcoat if he wants.

Unless the kid is going to be a stud at both sports, both OU football and OU basketball are above that. It rarely works out, so I really don't see the point in it.

Antonio Gates.

Has OU ever had a two sport guy? Was Dean Blevins one?

I remember OSU had lost a bunch of players to attrition, and they brought Alonzo Mayes in to play in the NIT. He and Tractor Traylor matched up.
Yes, he played both sports.

If I remember correctly Antonio Gates just played basketball in college, no football.

He played a year of football at Michigan and then went to Kent State. Oronde was on the Kent State staff. I don't know if he was involved in recruiting Gates.

Back