Jackson Jeffcoat wants to play basketball in college

Antonio Gates.

Has OU ever had a two sport guy? Was Dean Blevins one?

I remember OSU had lost a bunch of players to attrition, and they brought Alonzo Mayes in to play in the NIT. He and Tractor Traylor matched up.

Before his rookie season of 2003, Gates had not played organized football since his senior year at Central High School in Detroit. While there, Gates led Detroit Central High School to a Class A state championship in basketball as a senior, [1] [2]and was a first-team all-state selection in football and basketball.

After high school, Gates was recruited by Michigan State to play linebacker. Gates wanted to play both football and basketball, but then coach Nick Saban wanted him to play only football. Basketball was his favorite sport, so after his first semester he transferred to Eastern Michigan University to play basketball. He played there for part of a season, subsequently ended up playing at two junior colleges, and then finally landed at Kent State University in northeast Ohio. Coming out of junior college, Gates originally committed to Fresno State, but he immediately flipped to Kent State when his former high school coach, Oronde Taliaferro, was hired as an assistant. Gates spent two seasons as the Golden Flashes starting power forward and led the team to a MAC championship and the Elite Eight in 2002 and to the MAC championship game the following season. Gates was Second Team All-MAC as a junior and a First Team All-MAC and an Honorable Mention All-American selection as a senior.

Oronde!

I would let him play both if he wanted to. If he is talented enough, I say why not? Sports have become too specialized, he will obviously have to miss some part of the basketball season if he plays football, but if he can contribute let him play.

Bob Stoops has been very against this in the past (even for track athletes). I don't see it happening here. Ask Brandon Jones what its like to try and play two sports at OU.

That said, I hope we get Jackson for football! :woot

As did his teammate, Ronald Curry.

There have been reports over the past few years to suggest that football players at OU would like to play basketball. I have even seen quotes from coaches to support the idea, Yet, nary a one has actually stepped onto the hardwood in my recent memory. I'll believe it when I see it.

I think Ronald Curry was a teammate of Julius Peppers if I am not mistaken.

Tony G. is one of the best tight ends of all time and he played basketball at Cal. It's not unheard of but it is not easy to do.

Julius Peppers was 6'9" and an elite athlete in both sports. He basically told the coaches he would play both sports.....until his last year.

What is to keep Jeffcoat from playing football, getting a little bigger, and then doing a Paulus, in other words, switching to basketball after his football eligibility is over?

What is to keep Jeffcoat from playing football, getting a little bigger, and then doing a Paulus, in other words, switching to basketball after his football eligibility is over?

A career in the NFL.

Jackson has all the tools to be a great NFL DE. He would make a lot more money in football than basketball anyways. If I'm not mistaken, he is a 6'5 240 pound center? It doesn't seem like he would go very far with that, but who knows.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StBts_HNIvI[/ame]

Lendy, Sam and Gresham all can play, Pooh is ok...not sure they are OU material but they had some solid skills. The rest of the OU football players (when I was there) just relied on their superior athletic ability at the Huff.

Have to admit it was fun for us out-of-shape fraternity guys to beat the football players when they were done with the season, they seemed more upset losing to us then they did the NC.

Franks is better than all of those guys.

Back