Jerian Grant, Harvey's son

Wonder why we're not recruiting him. Is it a forgone conclusion that he goes to Clemson to follow his brother? It just seems with Coach Capel's connections in that area and the OU connection that we would have atleast been in on those guys.

http://www.basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=84201&Sport=2

Well, it's not like he's a top, top prospect. Maybe Coach doesn't think that is a need or is in on better guys. Keep in mind the recruiting at OU has stepped up to a whole different level now.

Well Jerai was definetely a better prospect than Patillo or Cannon. Jerian is a top 100 kid. OU nor any other program is above recruiting a top 100 kid. There is some reason behind it rather it be proximity to home or something else. I know Horace went to Clemson and maybe that factors in. I would like to see more effort to get King, Blaylock, and Grant incorporated back into the OU program. Especially since the passing of Wayman.

Well Jerai was definetely a better prospect than Patillo or Cannon. Jerian is a top 100 kid. OU nor any other program is above recruiting a top 100 kid. There is some reason behind it rather it be proximity to home or something else. I know Horace went to Clemson and maybe that factors in. I would like to see more effort to get King, Blaylock, and Grant incorporated back into the OU program. Especially since the passing of Wayman.

Pattillo and Cannon were needs though. Capel wanted a juco big that could provide experience. Who cares that Jerian is a top 100 kid? That doesn't mean he fits into Capels style of play or system. Who knows? And on Scout Grant is a 3 star kid. And you were the one lecturing me on how KU had no chance with Cam Clark because they had a lot of wing players. Couldn't this be the same situation? Capel has already landed TJ Taylor in 2010. Why take another wing when you are hot and heavy for Cam Clark, Harrison Barnes, Julian Washburn...all much bigger prospects than Grant.
Plus OU is in on Cothron & Oyedeji at PF...a number of top PG's (and that's a need). Capel only has so many schollies and right now a borderline wing isn't one of them with a 1/2 dozen or more better prospects that are strongly considering OU.
Again, OU is at a level in recruiting now that they've never been in. You don't just take a borderline top 100 guy regardless of fit just because. Those days are over. Those days ended when Coach Capel stepped on campus.

Pattillo and Cannon were needs though. Capel wanted a juco big that could provide experience. Who cares that Jerian is a top 100 kid? That doesn't mean he fits into Capels style of play or system. Who knows? And on Scout Grant is a 3 star kid. And you were the one lecturing me on how KU had no chance with Cam Clark because they had a lot of wing players. Couldn't this be the same situation? Capel has already landed TJ Taylor in 2010. Why take another wing when you are hot and heavy for Cam Clark, Harrison Barnes, Julian Washburn...all much bigger prospects than Grant.
Plus OU is in on Cothron & Oyedeji at PF...a number of top PG's (and that's a need). Capel only has so many schollies and right now a borderline wing isn't one of them with a 1/2 dozen or more better prospects that are strongly considering OU.
Again, OU is at a level in recruiting now that they've never been in. You don't just take a borderline top 100 guy regardless of fit just because. Those days are over. Those days ended when Coach Capel stepped on campus.

Again, you confuse recruiting a player with offering a player. OU infact has offered few wings, but are recruiting kids who don't even show up on Rivals databases. OU recruits alot of kids. OU may make the final cut for a Michigan player, Trey Zeigler, and havent officially offered him. OU is recruiting a 3 star guard out of Louisiana and a two star guard out of Michigan. OU is recruiting Releford and haven't offered him. I'm not saying he should get an offer, but curious as to why he isn't being recruited. Especially since Capel has those Maryland, Virginia, and UNC connections and Grant's father is an ex Sooner. This is the same senario in the recruitment of CJ Henry. Henry was a three star prospect, who was a legacy to his father's university and infact recruited by a coach who was native to his home area. It's not being anti Capel to question why.

Agree.......:boomer:sooner

We saw how Stoops reached out to former players and built a more family-like atmosphere. I believe that most of the animosity from the Switzer era is gone. Stoops and Switzer did alot to bridge the gaps....

I would love to see the hoops leaders do the same. Just think about all of the great ballers from the Bliss /tubbs eras that just seem to have fell off the face of the earth once they left OU.

Agree.......:boomer:sooner

We saw how Stoops reached out to former players and built a more family-like atmosphere. I believe that most of the animosity from the Switzer era is gone. Stoops and Switzer did alot to bridge the gaps....

I would love to see the hoops leaders do the same. Just think about all of the great ballers from the Bliss /tubbs eras that just seem to have fell off the face of the earth once they left OU.

No offense but I see this type of comment as one of our major problems with Basketball at OU. When talking about Tubbs era players the majority of us think of it as the Switzer era. I am as guilty as the next but we really need to think of Basketball as an equal to football. I believe that is essential to OU taking a big step from a very respectable top 25 program to one of the elite programs like Kentucky, KU, UNC, Duke, etc.

The thing about it is that ex basketball alums are a mixed bag. some guys you would love to come back, and some guys you would rather not. I think Ebi Ere and Hollis are guys that you can point at as having successful alternative NBA careers, along with Bryant Vann who's a personal trainer and runs the Compton Magic AAU orgnazation out of Oklahoma. Aaron McGhee on the other hand has had some bumps along the road. Now is that saying don't invite Aaron McGee? No. But who knows if he's at a point in his life where a reunion is productive in his plans. Personally, I would like to know what's going on with Erdmann, Brewer, Hootie Wiley, Tim McCallister, Choo Kennedy, Dave Seiger, Ryan Minor, etc.

No offense but I see this type of comment as one of our major problems with Basketball at OU. When talking about Tubbs era players the majority of us think of it as the Switzer era. I am as guilty as the next but we really need to think of Basketball as an equal to football. I believe that is essential to OU taking a big step from a very respectable top 25 program to one of the elite programs like Kentucky, KU, UNC, Duke, etc.

I see what you are saying Denver. I wasn't really saying that it was only the Switzer era, I was using the way Stoops reached out to Switzer and the players from his era, and earlier eras. I just wish that b-ball would do the same, have something that would reunite the entire family so to speak. I was a kid during the Bliss era, and that is when my dad got me interested in all things OU.

DM made alot of good points. Some players probably rather not come back as some didn't have the lives/lifestyles of others. Sadly not everyone lived like Wayman.

DM, I didn't know about Ace's struggles, whatever they were/are. I pray that all is well. I know how easy it is for those guys to be in the spotlight, have everyone praising and helping them, then one day its gone and they have to fend for themselves. Many athletes never prepare or realize that sports will end for them someday..... GOD bless Ace.

Again, you confuse recruiting a player with offering a player. OU infact has offered few wings, but are recruiting kids who don't even show up on Rivals databases. OU recruits alot of kids. OU may make the final cut for a Michigan player, Trey Zeigler, and havent officially offered him. OU is recruiting a 3 star guard out of Louisiana and a two star guard out of Michigan. OU is recruiting Releford and haven't offered him. I'm not saying he should get an offer, but curious as to why he isn't being recruited. Especially since Capel has those Maryland, Virginia, and UNC connections and Grant's father is an ex Sooner. This is the same senario in the recruitment of CJ Henry. Henry was a three star prospect, who was a legacy to his father's university and infact recruited by a coach who was native to his home area. It's not being anti Capel to question why.

Again, he may just not fit into what Capel is looking for. And who says he's not recruiting him? Just because OU's not on Rivals list doesn't mean OU isn't in contact. And maybe they have been and he's not interested in OU. His list only consists of East Coast schools. Maybe he wants to stay close to home. On his scout page it only has Va Tech as a school recruiting him. Those lists mean nothing. Really who knows?

Tidbit about Grant at the Nike Memorial

It was a day that Jerian Grant will not soon forget. The 6-foot-4 shooting guard played great for Team Takeover, in both games on Saturday, but Takeover lost both, and it is going to sting for Grant. Takeover had Grant running the point, and he was able to really make plays going off the dribble. He showed a good feel for the position, and more often than not good things happened when he had the ball in his hands. The only negative for Grant was his late foul shooting. He missed a key front end of a one-and-one in Takeover's first loss, and then missed two free throws with one second left in their loss to the Georgia Stars. Take nothing away from Grant, though. Without him Takeover would have been in much bigger trouble in both games, and his play besides the foul shots was nothing short of outstanding.

Also the kid goes to Dematha. Now Morgan Wooten isn't there anymore, but you know he must be playing on a high level to play there.

Again, he may just not fit into what Capel is looking for. And who says he's not recruiting him? Just because OU's not on Rivals list doesn't mean OU isn't in contact. And maybe they have been and he's not interested in OU. His list only consists of East Coast schools. Maybe he wants to stay close to home. On his scout page it only has Va Tech as a school recruiting him. Those lists mean nothing. Really who knows?

First of Cheno, you have no Idea what Capel is looking for. You're Very naive or just being oppositional to take that stance. Capel hasn't recruited a "certain type" of player since he's been at OU. He's recruited everything to undersized white guards who can shoot, to long, tall guards who lacked perimeter shooting, but had athletic ability. Capel just wants good players. Then you go into the same senarios an observations that my post was started to find out why. I just asked if he was more inclined to stay east or if he was just incline to play where his brother went. The whole post was to ask someone who actually knew something. Capel did infact recruit his brother a little bit......

First of Cheno, you have no Idea what Capel is looking for. You're Very naive or just being oppositional to take that stance.

I know I don't. That is why numerous times in this thread I've said "who knows". You don't, I don't most of us don't. I'm just saying 1) why assume OU is not recruiting him...rivals list isn't exactly the end all, be all 2) if Capel isn't I'm sure there is a very logical reason.

I'm just saying the recruiting at OU is on a whole different level these days. Capel knows what he's doing.
You pose some good questions. I don't know. My guess is he's not as good as Coach would like to get in this class and why risk losing Clark or Barnes by bringing in another wing player.

The thing about it is that ex basketball alums are a mixed bag. some guys you would love to come back, and some guys you would rather not. I think Ebi Ere and Hollis are guys that you can point at as having successful alternative NBA careers, along with Bryant Vann who's a personal trainer and runs the Compton Magic AAU orgnazation out of Oklahoma. Aaron McGhee on the other hand has had some bumps along the road. Now is that saying don't invite Aaron McGee? No. But who knows if he's at a point in his life where a reunion is productive in his plans. Personally, I would like to know what's going on with Erdmann, Brewer, Hootie Wiley, Tim McCallister, Choo Kennedy, Dave Seiger, Ryan Minor, etc.

I'll be the first to say that I don't know what Ebi Ere has been up to besides basketball...my guess is you're saying he's been playing overseas...but he acted like a real turd in Tulsa last year when me and some of my friends recognized him...Andre Williams, the former OSU player, on the other hadn bought us drinks all night...

Hey Chendog, look who got an Offer.

Jerian Grant claims offers from Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Providence. Also he says interest is coming from Marquette, Indiana, and Colorado.

Hey Chendog, look who got an Offer.

So why did you say OU wasn't recruiting him & why did you question Capel in not being in on him?
Like I said you can't assume a team isn't recruiting someone based on Rivals or Scouts or whoevers lists. They aren't that updated. It will be interesting to see if he takes the offer.

So why did you say OU wasn't recruiting him & why did you question Capel in not being in on him?
Like I said you can't assume a team isn't recruiting someone based on Rivals or Scouts or whoevers lists. They aren't that updated. It will be interesting to see if he takes the offer.

I guess it doesn't matter. He's not a top, top, prospect anyways....

I guess it doesn't matter. He's not a top, top, prospect anyways....

Dude you really need to read this thread. I was trying to give examples of maybe why Capel wasn't recruiting him...according to you.
Like I said numerous times in this thread "who knows whether Capel is recruiting him or not". It was silly to take him to task for not covering his bases. He clearly is. In recruiting I find it wise not to doubt Coach Capel.

Dude you really need to read this thread. I was trying to give examples of maybe why Capel wasn't recruiting him...according to you.
Like I said numerous times in this thread "who knows whether Capel is recruiting him or not". It was silly to take him to task for not covering his bases. He clearly is. In recruiting I find it wise not to doubt Coach Capel.

OU better hurry up and close the deal on Grant before KU gets involved. He's one of the few high major wings left uncommitted.....

OU better hurry up and close the deal on Grant before KU gets involved.

I've never heard a word about KU recruiting him so I don't think you need to worry. KU seems to be in on a bunch of PG's and Bigs. Of course Harrison Barnes is the crown jewel on the wing that everyone is salivating over.

Back