Calling OUr Pessimist, a Question of bgrch1350

Clark barely played and then never made it because of grades. And was a Sampson signee. So was Crocker.

The guy you compare M'Baye to is Patillo. Played well for one year only. Gone the next. Bennett in his year has done far more than Naysmith. Bennett has averaged 4 points and 2.4 rebounds in just under 11 minutes a game. That isn't bad. Neysmith averaged less than a point per game and started 4 games.

Woodard looks a lot better than TMG or any other PG signees Capel had. Particularly as a PG.

I wasn't comparing guys. I was just putting a (-) to seperate the names

Agreed. And I'm sure many remember I used to be the biggest Capel basher on this message board. But, he's gone now (praise the Lord) and Kruger is righting the ship.

Funny thing is some of the folks in this thread arguing against bgrch1350 were on his side 4 years ago. Most of them were arguing with me and wanting me banned. You know who you are. :ez-laugh: :ez-roll:

I like Kruger as a coach. And I support him. Am I impressed with his recruiting so far...No. He's brought in 6 juco players. 1 played, 1 sat the bench, 1 redshirted, 1 quit, and 2 never made it. We have 2 post players on this team and Tyler Neal. I like the guards he has brought in and the 2 transfers.

I like Kruger as a coach. And I support him. Am I impressed with his recruiting so far...No. He's brought in 6 juco players. 1 played, 1 sat the bench, 1 redshirted, 1 quit, and 2 never made it. We have 2 post players on this team and Tyler Neal. I like the guards he has brought in and the 2 transfers.

Fair enough, but he is fixing the post problem next year. Three pretty darn talented recruits. Two top 100 kids, alongside McNease who is a bit more raw, but is suppose to have an incredible upside.

That means next year, our roster will be:

Woodard
Cousins
Hield
Hornbeak
Booker
Spangler
Bennett
Buford
Lattin
McNease
Cole

And as of now, two open spots.

That is a pretty talented roster. Still needs to be a player deeper, but I think LK will get another body on campus. On paper, that roster is nicer than a lot of teams that Kelvin Sampson ran onto the floor, and won a lot of games with. And LK will get them coached up. We might not be a Final Four type team just yet, but LK, beginning next year, I think will have us consistently back to the level we were at with Kelvin most years. Top 3-4 in the conference. Dancing every year, with a shot at winning a game or two most years.

You focus too much on what others think (star rating) of prospects instead of what they could become or how they fit in LKs system. You also focus too much on who he's recruited and not enough on why he recruited them. Arent wasn't someone he was recruiting to UNLV before he took the OU job. Arent was the only option at that point in the recruiting game. Period.

You sign juco's knowing they may not make it! That's why they are at juco's!
It's a gamble... ALMOST all of them have a lot of risk!

It was Romero Osby that took us the first round of the tournament last year which was still Capel's guy.

This is a fantasy. Osby didn't/couldn't take OU to the Tournament on his own/surrounded by Capel players. It was Grooms, Hornbeak, Cousins, M'Baye, Hield along with Osby, Neal, Clark, Pledger, and Fitzgerald that took OU to the tournament. Most importantly it was having an adult for a head coach rather than having a Jay Z fan/recruiting coordinator as the head coach.

This is a fantasy. Osby didn't/couldn't take OU to the Tournament on his own/surrounded by Capel players. It was Grooms, Hornbeak, Cousins, M'Baye, Hield along with Osby, Neal, Clark, Pledger, and Fitzgerald that took OU to the tournament. Most importantly it was having an adult for a head coach rather than having a Jay Z fan/recruiting coordinator as the head coach.

Couldn't be more correct and throw in there also that the skill development of the Capel leftovers by Kruger and staff helped quite a bit.

And, I might add. Even though he was a player with potential, the Osby that Capel brought in wasn't going to take us anywhere. It was thru Osby's own efforts coupled with Kruger's development of him over almost 2 yrs that produced the player that helped the team, got himself all conference honors and an NBA contract.

The same with Cam. Capel gets no credit there. It took Kruger a solid year to uncoach him and another solid year to coach him up. Finally, in the 3rd year, Cam is in a position to make the team much better. Cam gives Kruger credit for that.

On a side note. Osby is out with a shoulder injury. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

And, I might add. Even though he was a player with potential, the Osby that Capel brought in wasn't going to take us anywhere. It was thru Osby's own efforts coupled with Kruger's development of him over almost 2 yrs that produced the player that helped the team, got himself all conference honors and an NBA contract.

The same with Cam. Capel gets no credit there. It took Kruger a solid year to uncoach him and another solid year to coach him up. Finally, in the 3rd year, Cam is in a position to make the team much better. Cam gives Kruger credit for that.

By this logic, Coach Sampson gets no credit for Longar Longar or Taylor Griffin because those two CLEARLY became better players under Coach Capel...got it!

Capel deserves the credit for a lot of things. Unfortunately, most of them are bad.

Why are people so obsessed with beating this dead horse? The facts are what they are. Capel won an NCAA game in his second season and fielded one of the top 5 OU teams of alltime in his 3rd season. He then had a team with 3 Mcdonalds AAs & very high expectations in his 4th season. They turned out to be knuckleheads who left after 1 chaotic season. Capels 5th season he was left to rebuild with nothing but scraps and was let go.

Kruger is starting his 3rd season & while things look promising he has yet to win an ncaa game. The fanboys love him because he's good at kissing babies, let's anybody watch practice & has a firm hand shake. But rest assured he will be judged on whether he wins ncaa games.

The talent Capel had at Oklahoma when he got here was pretty good. Not just the fact that Taylor had a stud younger brother that pretty much helped his recruiting out. Godbold, Austin Johnson, Tony Crocker, Longar Longar, were all young key cogs in the first couple years under Capel. All either Sampson players or Sampson recruitings. Once those players left then Blake went to the pros and Capel tried to get his own guys he basically got next to nothing from those guys as far as a team went. We basically have two players in year 3 of Kruger that were players from the Capel era left. Cam Clark and Tyler Neal.

LOL @ the talent was "pretty good" that Capel inherited. Not a single All Big XII player. Pretty good if you want to win 15 games a year.

It appears Capel left Kruger 3 all big XII players. Osby & Pledger already made it and Clark likely will this season.

LOL @ the talent was "pretty good" that Capel inherited. Not a single All Big XII player. Pretty good if you want to win 15 games a year.

It appears Capel left Kruger 3 all big XII players. Osby & Pledger already made it and Clark likely will this season.
If you count Pledger as all Big 12 then count Nate Carter. Who didn't play half a season for some odd reason. Again who did Capel leave as far as even good role players go? Even at the caliber of Austin Johnson or Taylor Griffin or Longar Longar, or Mike Neal... I can list a bunch of guys those first 3 years that contributed that were Sampson guys. You can't do that long a list with Capel left overs.

Last edited:
Re Capel, what schools are knocking down the doors to hire him from his ASSISTANT position at Duke???

That's what I thought!

We've got all the defenders of the previous coach now posting in this thread and some of them are still as delusional now as they were then! 13 and 14 win seasons with better talent than the record indicates and he paid one of those studs to come here. That's the dumpster fire LK inherited and it was all on Capel.

Do you really think if he was that great a coach that Joe would have fired him? Better yet, it's now been 2.5 years, almost 3 since he was fired and how many head coaching jobs has he interviewed?

I will answer it for you: 0

Come on...some of you are smarter than this.

We've got all the defenders of the previous coach now posting in this thread and some of them are still as delusional now as they were then! 13 and 14 win seasons with better talent than the record indicates and he paid one of those studs to come here. That's the dumpster fire LK inherited and it was all on Capel.

Do you really think if he was that great a coach that Joe would have fired him? Better yet, it's now been 2.5 years, almost 3 since he was fired and how many head coaching jobs has he interviewed?

Great post. I wouldn't hire Capel to walk my dog.

I liked Capel, met him personally and enjoyed our short chat. With that said he was a front runner. He know what to do and how to do it with good teams and good players ( Blake years). When things went bad, he seemed to have no sence what to do and tried to plug holes instead of fixing the leak. He will get another head coaching job, I think it may be best for him not to get a player like Blake right off. Build an Identity first. I think that was a major issue. He did not have an identity built before he landed Blake.

You're arguing with yourself. To my knowledge, no one has raved about how wonderful Coach Capel was. I'm well-aware of what he was good at and bad at. That's why I enjoy reading some of these funny stories that have no basis of fact.

In the meantime, I don't partake in rewriting history. Coach Capel won 4 NCAA Tournament games at OU, and refreshingly didn't lose as a higher seed in his 4 chances. He brought in the best future NBA player the program has ever had by far. He also did a terrible job MANAGING the men's basketball program. He continuously never had a backup plan when he didn't land the top prize. As a result, he was rightfully let go. I'm glad we have Coach Kruger...and this is what one would call BEING OBJECTIVE, not delusional.

Back