Calling OUr Pessimist, a Question of bgrch1350

Well said!

That's a lot more than bgrch1350 has done. :ez-laugh:

Ada you really are a joke! But I will finally speak, just for you!

I love the way they have played so far. They just aren't winning, their dominating. But I am very aware that they have played a terrible schedule. Other than Michigan State, whom they lost too, They have played 6 teams with losing records, 1 team at .500, 1 team 1 game above .500. We beat Mercer who got their butts handed to them by Evansville. And we beat Setan Hall who lost to a 3 and 10 Fairleigh Dickinson team and a 4 and 7 St. Peters team. We have one more team to play that isn't that good of a team.

We are going to find out how good we are when we go on this stretch of playing:
@Texas who has beaten UNC at UNC
Kansas who is just plain better than us
ISU who is undefeated
@Kansas State who beat Gonzaga
@Baylor who has beaten 2 ranked teams

So the jury is still out!

So fill free to call me out at the end of that stretch.

Ada you really are a joke! But I will finally speak, just for you!

I love the way they have played so far. They just aren't winning, their dominating. But I am very aware that they have played a terrible schedule. Other than Michigan State, whom they lost too, They have played 6 teams with losing records, 1 team at .500, 1 team 1 game above .500. We beat Mercer who got their butts handed to them by Evansville. And we beat Setan Hall who lost to a 3 and 10 Fairleigh Dickinson team and a 4 and 7 St. Peters team. We have one more team to play that isn't that good of a team.

We are going to find out how good we are when we go on this stretch of playing:
@Texas who has beaten UNC at UNC
Kansas who is just plain better than us
ISU who is undefeated
@Kansas State who beat Gonzaga
@Baylor who has beaten 2 ranked teams

So the jury is still out!

So fill free to call me out at the end of that stretch.

Why did you not say anything last year after we beat Kansas or got into the dance?

What do you think of Coach Lon Kruger? What do think about Hield, Spangler, Cam and Woodard?

Why did you wait until now to respond?

Thanks?

BT

Why did you not say anything last year after we beat Kansas or got into the dance?

What do you think of Coach Lon Kruger? What do think about Hield, Spangler, Cam and Woodard?

Why did you wait until now to respond?

Thanks?

BT

A) I don't remember if I said anything after the KU win or not...if I didn't, then maybe it was because I was at the game and I didn't rush home to talk about it. But it was a great win and I enjoyed watching it. Osby was a solid player and showed why he was 1st team all big 12 player.

I like Lon Kruger. I think he's a great coach. I think his recruiting has been terrible. 3 juco players he signed...one showed up and left and 2 never made it. If he could have gotten some more players...this team could have been a lot better. But his recruiting for next year seems to be his best class. I'm looking forward to only losing Clark and Neal and returning everyone else and allowing Spangler to move to the 4 where he belongs.

Hield is a scorer. Finds ways to put it in the hole. Got to love it.
Spangler can flat out rebound. He really hasn't been that challenged in the post yet but I think he will handle himself really good on the glass no matter who we play. But most likely will find himself in some foul trouble against some big 12 teams but not all.
Cam is playing great. I don't know how his shot goes in but its going in. It may not be pretty but if it works, it works. It gets to leave the team as the best player on it.(could change but I doubt it)
Woodard is a surprise. But I feel that his TOs per game are going to go up come big 12 play. Other than Releford from Alabama who got into early foul trouble, not very good PG play from our opponents to date.

I didn't really wait to respond til now..but more like..didn't want to. I find this thread hypocritical b/c Ada wants to call me out but I call him out once and he has me blocked on here.

I don't call you guys out. You don't like what I say, so be it. I'm not looking to make friends. This thread isn't about OU basketball but about calling out someone you disagree with. I love OU basketball...I don't watch it with blinders on. I have my opinions...so do the rest of you. I'm not looking to see OU go on a losing streak so that I can be right. I watch every OU game wanting OU to win. If we went 6-12 in the Big 12, Your not going to see me gloat.

I'm going to continue to state my opinion whether you like it or not!

A) I don't remember if I said anything after the KU win or not...if I didn't, then maybe it was because I was at the game and I didn't rush home to talk about it. But it was a great win and I enjoyed watching it. Osby was a solid player and showed why he was 1st team all big 12 player.

I like Lon Kruger. I think he's a great coach. I think his recruiting has been terrible. 3 juco players he signed...one showed up and left and 2 never made it. If he could have gotten some more players...this team could have been a lot better. But his recruiting for next year seems to be his best class. I'm looking forward to only losing Clark and Neal and returning everyone else and allowing Spangler to move to the 4 where he belongs.

Spangler can flat out rebound. He really hasn't been that challenged in the post yet but I think he will handle himself really good on the glass no matter who we play. But most likely will find himself in some foul trouble against some big 12 teams but not all.
Cam is playing great. I don't know how his shot goes in but its going in. It may not be pretty but if it works, it works. It gets to leave the team as the best player on it.(could change but I doubt it)
Woodard is a surprise. But I feel that his TOs per game are going to go up come big 12 play. Other than Releford from Alabama who got into early foul trouble, not very good PG play from our opponents to date.

I didn't really wait to respond til now..but more like..didn't want to. I find this thread hypocritical b/c Ada wants to call me out but I call him out once and he has me blocked on here.

I don't call you guys out. You don't like what I say, so be it. I'm not looking to make friends. This thread isn't about OU basketball but about calling out someone you disagree with. I love OU basketball...I don't watch it with blinders on. I have my opinions...so do the rest of you. I'm not looking to see OU go on a losing streak so that I can be right. I watch every OU game wanting OU to win. If we went 6-12 in the Big 12, Your not going to see me gloat.

Fair retort.

I am not sure I would call Kruger's recruiting "terrible". I agree that two of the JUCOs that he brought on campus have been busts - Hamilton and Arent. I think Grooms was a solid get and that Bennett has been serviceable with the potential to be solid.

I think that Kruger is recruiting fine and that this incoming class (plus an impact transfer) has a chance to beat his class with Cousins, Hield, Hornbeak, Bennett and Spangler - which is proving to be a really good class!

I am not sure I agree with your concern over Woodard's TOs. He is a freshman PG playing in an offense that is purposely trying to increase possessions and run-outs thus TOs will happen.

I am glad that you care more about OU winning than you being right. I was beginning to wonder...

Finally, you said something that I agree with. I too, don't think that you are watching OU basketball with blinders on. I think you are watching with a feed sack over you head.

You have no perspective what so ever how bad of shape the program was in when Kruger arrived. Or how far it has come. There were a couple of players with some potential on board. But, they wouldn't have ever amounted to much under the mediocre coaching and leadership they were getting.

Bringing in Buddy, Hornbeak, Cousins, Spangler, Bennett, Gooms, M'Baye, Woodard, and now Lattin, Buford, and McNeace to a program that is just now getting the corpse stench scrubbed off looks like good recruiting to me.

You argued with me for a solid year from the position that Spangler was a prime example of how Kruger couldn't recruit. That opinion, like most of yours was coming from somewhere out in the I don't have a clue edge of the ozone.

You get a little pressure put on you and you come up with a fluff piece to try to smooth things over. You tipped your hand a long time ago.

Finally, you said something that I agree with. I too, don't think that you are watching OU basketball with blinders on. I think you are watching with a feed sack over you head.

You have no perspective what so ever how bad of shape the program was in when Kruger arrived. Or how far it has come. There were a couple of players with some potential on board. But, they wouldn't have ever amounted to much under the mediocre coaching and leadership they were getting.

Bringing in Buddy, Hornbeak, Cousins, Spangler, Bennett, Gooms, M'Baye, Woodard, and now Lattin, Buford, and McNeace to a program that is just now getting the corpse stench scrubbed off looks like good recruiting to me.

You argued with me for a solid year from the position that Spangler was a prime example of how Kruger couldn't recruit. That opinion, like most of yours was coming from somewhere out in the I don't have a clue edge of the ozone.

You get a little pressure put on you and you come up with a fluff piece to try to smooth things over. You tipped your hand a long time ago.

1) I don't see how being a couple of years removed from an Elite 8 and bringing in McDAA talent is a sign of how far a program had fallen. You chose to jump ship the first sign of trouble. You thought that with all that McDAA talent on the team that we should have done much better even with a hurt Warren. Kentucky last year had 8 guys on the roster that were top 100 players...several McDAA's and yet they went to the NIT where they lost in the first round. The difference is that when our 3 McDAA's left Capel didn't replace them with 5 more. And when Capel brought in Thompson, it was in a 6 man recruiting class. Arent was in a 2 man recruiting class. These 3 jucos that Kruger brought was in a 5 man recruiting class.

2) As good as Spangler is, your acting like he's the best basketball player on this team. He's fifth in scoring on this team. Not mention that you should be thankful that Spangler didn't come straight here b/c if he did he would be a junior instead of a redshirt sophmore.

1) I don't see how being a couple of years removed from an Elite 8 and bringing in McDAA talent is a sign of how far a program had fallen. You chose to jump ship the first sign of trouble. You thought that with all that McDAA talent on the team that we should have done much better even with a hurt Warren. Kentucky last year had 8 guys on the roster that were top 100 players...several McDAA's and yet they went to the NIT where they lost in the first round. The difference is that when our 3 McDAA's left Capel didn't replace them with 5 more. And when Capel brought in Thompson, it was in a 6 man recruiting class. Arent was in a 2 man recruiting class. These 3 jucos that Kruger brought was in a 5 man recruiting class.

2) As good as Spangler is, your acting like he's the best basketball player on this team. He's fifth in scoring on this team. Not mention that you should be thankful that Spangler didn't come straight here b/c if he did he would be a junior instead of a redshirt sophmore.

1) That is my point. You don't see.

2) He may be the best player on the team. We could lose anyone else and still have a puncher's chance to win some games. Without him, no shot.

1) That is my point. You don't see.

2) He may be the best player on the team. We could lose anyone else and still have a puncher's chance to win some games. Without him, no shot.

You still don't give credit to Capel...even though its been Capel's players the last 3 years that have been the best player on this team.

Kruger can coach. He's a great coach. But this league is filled with great coaches. Huggins, Smith, Self. Ford and Drew can recruit with the best of them. Hoiberg has his team in the top 25 within a few years of being at ISU...something Kruger has yet done.

As for no shot at winning without Spangler...your prolly right since Kruger only has one other scholarship post player on this team...and Bennett isn't very good.

How much are we paying Kruger again??? Right now we are in the middle of the pack in the big 12...West Virginia and Texas will get back to being dominant again. And now Tubby Smith is at Texas Tech...who will recruit like Kruger...who can make teams better. Recruiting classes of 2 juco players, where one doesn't touch the floor, or a recruiting class of 5 in which 2 don't show up and 1 quits...isn't going to cut it in this league.

Last edited:
Kruger can't recruit.
He's absolutely terrible at it.

That's why in his third year, only 4 of the 5 starters on an 11-1 team are his recruits.
A good recruiter would have recruited 8 or 9 of the starters on this year's team.

You are a pathetic waste of bandwidth. And you absolutely will gloat the second this team runs into some trouble, just like you always have the last three years.

Last edited:
You still don't give credit to Capel...even though its been Capel's players the last 3 years that have been the best player on this team.

Kruger can coach. He's a great coach. But this league is filled with great coaches. Huggins, Smith, Self. Ford and Drew can recruit with the best of them. Hoiberg has his team in the top 25 within a few years of being at ISU...something Kruger has yet done.

As for no shot at winning without Spangler...your prolly right since Kruger only has one other scholarship post player on this team...and Bennett isn't very good.

How much are we paying Kruger again??? Right now we are in the middle of the pack in the big 12...West Virginia and Texas will get back to being dominant again. And now Tubby Smith is at Texas Tech...who will recruit like Kruger...who can make teams better. Recruiting classes of 2 juco players, where one doesn't touch the floor, or a recruiting class of 5 in which 2 don't show up and 1 quits...isn't going to cut it in this league.

You really want compare Capel's recruiting with Kruger's so far?

The first year it was a certainty that Capel's players would be the best guys on the team and that team was not very good. However, even that year the pg was a Kruger recruit. The fact of the matter is Kruger was not hired until after the NCAA Tournament. He had virtually no opportunity to recruit. Last year the best players were 50% Capel recruits and 50% Kruger recruits. This year the top 9 consists of 7 guys Kruger recruited. Kruger is building a good program. Capel destroyed a good program.

The first year it was a certainty that Capel's players would be the best guys on the team and that team was not very good. However, even that year the pg was a Kruger recruit. The fact of the matter is Kruger was not hired until after the NCAA Tournament. He had virtually no opportunity to recruit. Last year the best players were 50% Capel recruits and 50% Kruger recruits. This year the top 9 consists of 7 guys Kruger recruited. Kruger is building a good program. Capel destroyed a good program.

So being Kruger's 3rd year...should we expect the Elite 8? B/c it was Capel's 3rd year that we were in the Elite 8.

So being Kruger's 3rd year...should we expect the Elite 8? B/c it was Capel's 3rd year that we were in the Elite 8.
No, but I can damn well guarantee we won't win 13 games next year.

You really want compare Capel's recruiting with Kruger's so far?

You want to compare the first 3 years of each coach?

Capel Kruger
Walker - Grooms
Crocker - Arent
Clark - M'Baye
Maze

Neysmith - Bennett
Early - Cousins
Griffin - Hornbeak
Davis - Hield
Leary - Spangler
Wright - Cole

Warren - Booker
Pattillo - Hamilton
Cannon - Woodard
Allen
Willis

Tony Crocker signed with Kelvin Sampson.

In terms of true contributors signed in their first three classes by each coach, you have:

Capel: Griffin, Davis, Leary, Wright, Warren, Pattillo
Kruger: Grooms, M'Baye, Hield, Cousins, Hornbeak, Woodard, Spangler

Obviously Griffin in a world of his own, but outside of him, things lean Kruger's way.

Last edited:
No, but I can damn well guarantee we won't win 13 games next year.

What if Buddy Hield got hurt next year? Because Willie Warren was hurt the following year.

And also...That same season...the season where UNC was coming off beating us in the Elite 8 and then winning the whole thing...they followed it up with 16 regular season wins and went 5-11 in conference. And they had John Henson, Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller, The Wear Twins, Deon Thompson...and many more.

Tony Crocker signed with Kelvin Sampson.

In terms of true contributors signed in their first three classes by each coach, you have:

Capel: Griffin, Davis, Leary, Wright, Warren, Pattillo
Kruger: Grooms, M'Baye, Hield, Cousins, Hornbeak, Woodard, Spangler

Obviously Griffin in a world of his own, but outside of him, things lean Kruger's way.

It was the signing of Griffin, Warren, and Pattillo that help take us to the Elite 8.

It was Romero Osby that took us the first round of the tournament last year which was still Capel's guy.

Back