John Higgins

The article I read said that officials do work for the conferences but most of them have contracts with multiple conferences. This makes the theory that the refs are intentionally screwing OU and Texas very far-fetched.

The article I read said that officials do work for the conferences but most of them have contracts with multiple conferences. This makes the theory that the refs are intentionally screwing OU and Texas very far-fetched.

Why is that?

Why is that?

1. Because an official working for the Big 12 probably also works for the SEC and the Big 10 and the PAC 12. Why would they care if OU and Texas are leaving?

2. With dozens of people involved this conspiracy would NEVER remain secret.

1. Because an official working for the Big 12 probably also works for the SEC and the Big 10 and the PAC 12. Why would they care if OU and Texas are leaving?

I would imagine that most officials work the majority of games for one conference and sprinkle in other conferences as available. That does nothing to stop a conference like the big 12 hiring officials for games and trying to screw OU and texas.

I am not saying I believe this conspiracy. But it certainly is possible.

How to refs get paid? Who pays them? How do they determine which games to ref? Do the hosting teams contact them? Does the league? Do they themselves reach out?

I would imagine that most officials work the majority of games for one conference and sprinkle in other conferences as available. That does nothing to stop a conference like the big 12 hiring officials for games and trying to screw OU and texas.

I am not saying I believe this conspiracy. But it certainly is possible.

How to refs get paid? Who pays them? How do they determine which games to ref? Do the hosting teams contact them? Does the league? Do they themselves reach out?

Why would you imagine that? Higgins works all over the country. He's in a different region almost daily.

So one week's worth of data of one referee is supposed to refute my assumption that the majority of refs call games regionally?

I don't really care what you assume. I just posted that as a reference. If you think there is some conspiracy against OU and Texas then give us some evidence of that. I don't see any.

1) From refs perspective, it helps to have as many high level basketball games as possible, if the SEC and BIG are in a better position to split away from the other P5 (which is happening due to their better revenue positions, aided by conference expansion). From the non-SEC conference perspective, it makes sense to damage the OU/Texas brand as much as possible. All the more so if a ref is working primarily with the Big 12.

2) I think this is far more compelling reason, the difficulty of orchestrating this without an obvious leak is pretty challenging.

As a delusional fan, I choose to believe the writing on the wall that the Big 12 is out to get us but understand pushback mainly linked to the second point. If the league was more rational in how they were operating in some of the public statements between the two sides, probably wouldn’t suspect much but it seems like there are a lot of traumatized people on the Big 12 side currently.

I don't really care what you assume. I just posted that as a reference. If you think there is some conspiracy against OU and Texas then give us some evidence of that. I don't see any.

i don't think there is one in basketball but it would not surprise me if there was.
Just responding because a certain poster has a hardon for making sure everyone knows how superior he is to the other posters.

In football I 100% think the big 12 made it clear to the refs that OU or Tex are not to win the conference

You can't prove a negative. In other words, it's impossible to prove that there's NOT an officiating conspiracy against OU and Texas. But if you say there is, I'd like to see some evidence of it other than, "They shot a lot more free throws than us!"

Would agree, think it’s far more likely in football. The statistic about the lack of opposition holding calls is enough in my book, there’s little way that’s left to chance IMO.

Would agree, think it’s far more likely in football. The statistic about the lack of opposition holding calls is enough in my book, there’s little way that’s left to chance IMO.

West Virginia led the league in holding calls. Does that mean the conference is also out to get them? If you go down that rabbit-hole, you will find all kinds of data like this.

West Virginia led the league in holding calls. Does that mean the conference is also out to get them? If you go down that rabbit-hole, you will find all kinds of data like this.

lol

and yet i was the one accused of a strawman argument

If they the league by a statically unbelievable margin, yeah I would definitely think so.

OU had a single opposition holding call the whole season! There’s more often than not one in a single game! The chances that sequence happens during the year of a conference transition is way way too much for me to believe.

If they the league by a statically unbelievable margin, yeah I would definitely think so.

OU had a single opposition holding call the whole season! There’s more often than not one in a single game! The chances that sequence happens during the year of a conference transition is way way too much for me to believe.

Or it could mean that our pass rush was terrible. Again, this would have to be a conspiracy among dozens of people.

Or it could mean that our pass rush was terrible. Again, this would have to be a conspiracy among dozens of people.
Not just terrible, unprecedentedly terrible. Historically unprecedented.

Way easier probability of a league mandate there as opposed to OU getting random officiating variance IMO.

Back