John Wall - This is how a Lotto plays

I'd personally rather have Rose based on the limited amount I've seen Wall. I'm talking from an NBA standpoint. I don't know where Wall fits in the NBA. He's from the Allen Iverson mold.

Rose and Wall are splitting the difference. Wall might dunk on you a little more, but they're really the same type of player. It's like comparing Marbury in his prime to Iverson in his prime. Both cut from same mold, but one may end up having better career.

Rose and Wall are splitting the difference. Wall might dunk on you a little more, but they're really the same type of player. It's like comparing Marbury in his prime to Iverson in his prime. Both cut from same mold, but one may end up having better career.

I see it a little differently. I think they are lumped together because they are such phenomenal athletes for the PG position. But if you watch them play they are really pretty different. Wall is much more of a scorer/attacker and Rose is a better floor leader and has better vision and takes care of the ball better.

I think Wall ends up being the better pro, to me he is much more Tyreke Evans than Derek Rose, except that he is an other worldly athlete and Evans isn't (I think Wall shoots better too).

I see it a little differently. I think they are lumped together because they are such phenomenal athletes for the PG position. But if you watch them play they are really pretty different. Wall is much more of a scorer/attacker and Rose is a better floor leader and has better vision and takes care of the ball better.

I think Wall ends up being the better pro, to me he is much more Tyreke Evans than Derek Rose, except that he is an other worldly athlete and Evans isn't (I think Wall shoots better too).

I can agree with this, but you also have to look at their team dynamics. Rose had a better backcourt than Wall and probably a better team. Wall is the best offensive player in UK's backcourt. UK has no great drive and dish threats.

I can agree with this, but you also have to look at their team dynamics. Rose had a better backcourt than Wall and probably a better team. Wall is the best offensive player in UK's backcourt. UK has no great drive and dish threats.

Oh, that is totally true. That Memphis team was loaded with good players and many of them upperclassmen. Totally different situation than Wall. He also had some shooters to kick out to like you say.

After Wall and Patterson I haven't been real impressed with UK. Bledsoe and Cousins ooze talent but are out of control and are sort of headcases. They can win you a game or lose you a game very easily. Orton looks good in what he does but he fouls too much, I think he ends up being a really good player that will regret going to Kentucky because Calipari's offense completely ignores traditional big men.

I'm coming around on Wall, I don't buy into all the hype because I think he has a ways to go but the natural ability is just off the charts. I just wish he was somewhere where he would get a little more fundamental teaching rather than just roll the ball out and play.

I think Derek Rose is probably just as explosive vertically (though he's got creaky knees) but Wall is so fast from end to end and is much more explosive off of one foot. He also seems to be longer armed as well.

I think Rose is a much better PG, took better care of the ball, and probably a little better leader. Wall, however, is just a killer on the court. He is ALWAYS in attack mode and never lets you get settled on defense. He reminds me really of a bigger version of Ty Lawson. He is always probing the defense, always running the ball up your back on a made basket, always forcing your defense to make decisions on the run.

Rose is also a lot more coachable then John Wall seems to be but you brought up the best point about Wall. This guy is always attacking and he is absolutely special in his ability to push the ball and attack the basket. Derrick Rose was very dynamic but he doesnt have that innate ability of knowing when/how to attack the rim like Wall.

One of the big things that Cal did for Rose was to try and calm him down and run an offense. If you saw Rose early on at Memphis this kid would attack with reckless abandon trying to dunk on anyone/everyone, many times not successfully.

In terms of distributing the rock Derrick Rose is not special at that, with his ability to beat people off the dribble he should be able to put his teammates in better positions to score then what Ive seen so far in the league. I think John Wall has better vision then him also and just overall projects better. He' a legit 6 4 with a big wingspan, I also dont think comparisons to Iverson are good at all, he will be a PG and dish the rock, obviously scoring a lot in the process.

Last edited:
Rose is also a lot more coachable then John Wall seems to be but you brought up the best point about Wall. This guy is always attacking and he is absolutely special in his ability to push the ball and attack the basket. Derrick Rose was very dynamic but he doesnt have that innate ability of knowing when/how to attack the rim like Wall.

One of the big things that Cal did for Rose was to try and calm him down and run an offense. If you saw Rose early on at Memphis this kid would attack with reckless abandon trying to dunk on anyone/everyone, many times not successfully.

In terms of distributing the rock Derrick Rose is not special at that, with his ability to beat people off the dribble he should be able to put his teammates in better positions to score then what Ive seen so far in the league. I think John Wall has better vision then him also and just overall projects better. He' a legit 6 4 with a big wingspan, I also dont think comparisons to Iverson are good at all, he will be a PG and dish the rock, obviously scoring a lot in the process.

That's what's weird is in the NBA he is much more of a scorer, in HS and then at Memphis he passed the ball a lot more.

I'd personally rather have Rose based on the limited amount I've seen Wall. I'm talking from an NBA standpoint. I don't know where Wall fits in the NBA. He's from the Allen Iverson mold.

He doesn't like to practice?

Rose is also a lot more coachable then John Wall seems to be.

He is still pretty young. I think it may be a bit too early to say he is not coachable. I cannot even imagine how horrible I would have acted in high school if I were as talented as some of these guys. I was always pretty good at academics (although I rarely tried in high school). I am sure there were people that thought I was not teachable, yet I became an excellent student later in life.

He is still pretty young. I think it may be a bit too early to say he is not coachable. I cannot even imagine how horrible I would have acted in high school if I were as talented as some of these guys. I was always pretty good at academics (although I rarely tried in high school). I am sure there were people that thought I was not teachable, yet I became an excellent student later in life.

Oh I definitely don't know enough about Wall to say he is uncoachable (thats why I wrote seems to be), just that I know Derrick Rose was very coachable. Wall is being given a lot more free reign by Cal because of how young the team is and he knows Wall attacking most trips give them the best chance to win. Funny, the biggest thing missing from Rose's game IMO now is that he seems too under control and not willing to play with some abandon here or there.

Btw is there any doubt that the recruitment of Wall was dirty as hell ? This kid goes to HS in Raleigh and the 3 big NC schools dont even go after him hard until later on in the process. Leave it to Coach Cal to come save the day and get the best recruiting class in the country by a long mile. How many kids that UNC really wants (and have a legit shot at) do they ever not get ? 1 official trip walking on the court and having the unofficial/official ambassador aka MJ step out is more then enough for 99% of kids to believe in the dream and commit.

Yeah, I haven't heard much of this concerning John Wall. Demarcus Cousins is the one they say is a head case. Even Fran Fraschilla, who coached him at the Lebron camp, said he had one of the worst attitudes he had ever seen. It's comical to watch he and Calipari go at it on the floor.

play, the Bulls being terrible does have something to do with it but I think it's also the game of the NBA. When you can get in the lane like that the NBA is set up for you to score once you get there (for the most part). He also isn't really surrounded by shooters. He would be amazing in D'Antoni's system.

Back