Justin McCay

CoachTalk

Reaction score
I know he's a football commit, but rivals lists him as a two sport star. I'm fairly new to the site so it may have already been brought up. Any chance he comes out for basketball?

I know it rarely works out, but its something to discuss.

Thanks

Last edited:
I know he a football commit, but rivals lists him as a two sport star. I fairly new to the site so it may have already been brought up. Any chance he comes out for basketball?

I know it rarely works out, but its something to discuss.

Thanks

I just can't see Coach Stoops letting that happen. Bob does a lot in helping to promote and support this program, so it doesn't really bother me if he doesn't want his recruits not focusing on football.

I saw that on rivals as well.

With the talent Capel is bringing in there isn't going to be any football players playing hoops. Unless they just want a better viewing seat on the bench.

Saw a blurb on the front page of the Sunday paper (about Barnes and Lamb) that McCay will play for BBall team.

With the talent Capel is bringing in there isn't going to be any football players playing hoops. Unless they just want a better viewing seat on the bench.

That seems like an awfully silly thing to say given what Charlie Ward did at FSU. Obviously Charlie Ward was a pretty unique talent but to say it isn't going to happen is ridiculous. (For anyone that does not know what Charlie Ward did, he won the Heisman as FSU's quarterback and played pg, ultimately playing professional basketball) It has happened in the past at big time football schools and it could happen in the future. Furthermore, players at OU during the Stoops era have played two sports. At least one played football and baseball and another played football and ran track (Blanton (I think that was his name) ulimately quit football to solely run tract).

If you need another example of guys being stars at two sports Danny Ainge and Dave Logan are other examples. Logan was actually drafted in the NFL, NBA and MLB coming out of CU. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Logan_(American_football)

That seems like an awfully silly thing to say given what Charlie Ward did at FSU. Obviously Charlie Ward was a pretty unique talent but to say it isn't going to happen is ridiculous. (For anyone that does not know what Charlie Ward did, he won the Heisman as FSU's quarterback and played pg, ultimately playing professional basketball) It has happened in the past at big time football schools and it could happen in the future. Furthermore, players at OU during the Stoops era have played two sports. At least one played football and baseball and another played football and ran track (Blanton (I think that was his name) ulimately quit football to solely run tract).

If you need another example of guys being stars at two sports Danny Ainge and Dave Logan are other examples. Logan was actually drafted in the NFL, NBA and MLB coming out of CU. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Logan_(American_football)

The fact that you are referencing names from 20 and 30 years ago leads everyone to the conclusion that it won't happen and it's not happening in athletics alot.

You just compared Justin McCay to Charlie Ward....wanted to make sure you realize that.

Saw a blurb on the front page of the Sunday paper (about Barnes and Lamb) that McCay will play for BBall team.

I saw it, too, KB. I started to post the blip from this mornings newspaper earlier today, with a similar question, but couldn't find it on the Oklahoman's web site. Here's the exact quote under the heading, Top Hoops Recruits Visit OU:

"Football recruit Justin McCay has also committed to play for Capel, and is a 6' 3" small forward."

I think we all know how things have worked out so far for football recruits who want to play both sports at OU. Frankly, I'll believe it when I see a footballer suit up and walk out onto the hardwood. Stoops may be telling the recruits they can play basketball, but I doubt if he has any intentions of honoring that agreement.

The fact that you are referencing names from 20 and 30 years ago leads everyone to the conclusion that it won't happen and it's not happening in athletics alot.

Brandon Jones (football and a couple years of baseball) was in Stoops tenure

BJ was a heck of a Bball player as well. Probably could have played in the MLB. Is it coincidental that BJs football career took off after he winded down his Baseball career?

There are always going to be exceptions to the rule. Look at Bookout. Kendall Wright is a guy that plays both sports at Baylor. However, the days of guys going out for Bball after Football season seem to be dead for the most part. And even when it is the case, the players that play both aren't major factors on one of the teams. Terrell Pryor was a guy that was promised PT by Motta at ohio State, but that has never came to light or atleast not yet.

Kevin Bookout played two sports. It happens somewhat regularly and it has for a long time. Ryan Minor played basketball and baseball. It is ridiculous to suggest it will never happen. That is like the statements a long time ago that no one would run a 4 minute mile or under 10 seconds in a hundred.

You just compared Justin McCay to Charlie Ward....wanted to make sure you realize that.

No I said it was ridiculous to say it would never happen and pointed out that Ward won the Heisman as a football player and became an NBA player. I never remotely compared McCaay to Ward. I don't even know who McCay is. I gave the example of Dave Logan to point out that guys have actually been drafted in three sports (Dave Wynfield did it too - I probably did not spell his name correctly).

Kevin Bookout played two sports. It happens somewhat regularly and it has for a long time. Ryan Minor played basketball and baseball. It is ridiculous to suggest it will never happen. That is like the statements a long time ago that no one would run a 4 minute mile or under 10 seconds in a hundred.

Kevin Bookout, Ryan Minor, and Brandon Jones were exceptional in the fact that they pro prospects in both of their respective sports. I don't know if justin McCay is of that stature and with the way OU wrs have been playing I doubt stoops lets him see if he is.

That was the guy I was trying to think of when I referenced a football player playing baseball. Eaton could have played football and basketball at a D-1 school. I think Gonzales played both at Stanford. I know he played basketball and as a professional was a tight end for KC.

Kevin Bookout, Ryan Minor, and Brandon Jones were exceptional in the fact that they pro prospects in both of their respective sports. I don't know if justin McCay is of that stature and with the way OU wrs have been playing I doubt stoops lets him see if he is.

I don't either. I don't even know who he is. My point is simply that it is ridiculous to say it will never happen. As soon as a good enough player tells Stoops and Capel this is the deal or I go somewhere else, they will make it work. What if Michael Jordan said I will only play basketball for you if I can also play baseball? Do you think someone would say no way.

What if Demarco Murray (he was a d-1 basketball prospect) said I will only play football if I can also play basketball. One of these days a tight end or lineman is going to be capable of playing both sports. I would bet big money Bryan Sallier could have played tight end at OU if he wanted to. He was big agile and had great hands.

That was the guy I was trying to think of when I referenced a football player playing baseball. Eaton could have played football and basketball at a D-1 school. I think Gonzales played both at Stanford. I know he played basketball and as a professional was a tight end for KC.

Gonzalez did play both at Cal. Eaton talked about football, but he was never in football condition and in retrospect, what position would Eaton play?

I think McCay basketball wise is the equivalent of Robert Meachum and Quentin Chaney. Both guys would be mid to low major prospects, but would need alot of work to equate to being a contributor at the high D1 level. The problem with a guy like McCay is that the work he would need would have to be put in at the beginning of the season. Also, who is McCay going to push for PT? Willis? Pledger? Clark? Taylor? If he does play he would be a practice player that gets in a minute or two before the walkons. I also wonder if basketball was talked about to McCay in a conversation of playing with Releford.

BJ was a heck of a Bball player as well. Probably could have played in the MLB. Is it coincidental that BJs football career took off after he winded down his Baseball career?

There are always going to be exceptions to the rule. Look at Bookout. Kendall Wright is a guy that plays both sports at Baylor. However, the days of guys going out for Bball after Football season seem to be dead for the most part. And even when it is the case, the players that play both aren't major factors on one of the teams. Terrell Pryor was a guy that was promised PT by Motta at ohio State, but that has never came to light or atleast not yet.

DM, I think those exceptions are even more rare in basketball and football, because the seasons overlap so much. I can't think of more than a handful who have played both sports in the past two decades. I had forgotten about Charlie Ward until Denver brought him up. Two others that come immediately to mind were Ronald Curry and Julius Peppers, who were good enough to excel in both sports at UNC several years back. I'm not sure we will ever see anyone do it at OU. The demands are just too great. Yet, I would not rule it out completely.

EDIT: I thought of one more: Ed "Too Tall" Jones

DM, I think those exceptions are even more rare in basketball and football, because the seasons overlap so much. I can't think of more than a handful who have played both sports in the past two decades. I had forgotten about Charlie Ward until Denver brought him up. Two others that come immediately to mind were Ronald Curry and Julius Peppers, who were good enough to excel in both sports at UNC several years back. I'm not sure we will ever see anyone do it at OU. The demands are just too great. Yet, I would not rule it out completely.

The reason that we have saw the trend of two sport athletes fall off is because of summer athletics. Football and Basketball prospects have to attend summer camps in each sport, AAU events, and 7 on 7 football leagues. It is almost impossible for a two sport star to maintain this schedule. Most guys quit one sport their senior year to concentrate on the other sport.

Back