Justin McCay

Gonzalez did play both at Cal. Eaton talked about football, but he was never in football condition and in retrospect, what position would Eaton play?

I think McCay basketball wise is the equivalent of Robert Meachum and Quentin Chaney. Both guys would be mid to low major prospects, but would need alot of work to equate to being a contributor at the high D1 level. The problem with a guy like McCay is that the work he would need would have to be put in at the beginning of the season. Also, who is McCay going to push for PT? Willis? Pledger? Clark? Taylor? If he does play he would be a practice player that gets in a minute or two before the walkons. I also wonder if basketball was talked about to McCay in a conversation of playing with Releford.

What is football shape? I would personally contend the basketball players are in better shape than virtually any athletes at OU. I don't think a few extra pounds hurts that much in football. Eaton could have played. Perhaps he is a db or safety. Perhaps he plays receiver or running back. I think he was an option quarterback in high school. I loved to make fun of Eaton because he went to OSU but that guy is a talented athlete.

Perhaps he is a db or safety. Perhaps he plays receiver or running back.

Do you know how many TDs that fat ------- would have given up as a Safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know how many TDs that fat bastard would have given up as a Safety.

You don't know how fast or slow he runs and more importantly you don't know how fast or slow he plays football. Game speed is what really matters. You don't have to be lightening fast on the track to be a very good player. Smart decisions will make up for a couple tenths of a second any day.

The reason that we have saw the trend of two sport athletes fall off is because of summer athletics. Football and Basketball prospects have to attend summer camps in each sport, AAU events, and 7 on 7 football leagues. It is almost impossible for a two sport star to maintain this schedule. Most guys quit one sport their senior year to concentrate on the other sport.

Our football team just got beat by a team that uses two-way athletes in Miami. Danny Graham, a 6'8 tight end off the Canes basketball team, turned out to be someone we couldn't defend.

Don't tell us this is old school thinking. If a guy can play both sports at a high level like a ... for example, LeBron James or a Tony Gonzales or a Martellus Bennett or a Randy Moss, he'll go to a school where they'll let him play both sports.

Stoops is going to miss out on a top-notch game changing athlete if he doesn't change his policy to at least allow a player to go out for basketball.

Our football team just got beat by a team that uses two-way athletes in Miami. Danny Graham, a 6'8 tight end off the Canes basketball team, turned out to be someone we couldn't defend.

Don't tell us this is old school thinking. If a guy can play both sports at a high level like a ... for example, LeBron James or a Tony Gonzales or a Martellus Bennett or a Randy Moss, he'll go to a school where they'll let him play both sports.

Stoops is going to miss out on a top-notch game changing athlete if he doesn't change his policy to at least allow a player to go out for basketball.

I may be thinking of someone else, but didn't the Miami guy already finish his bb eligibility?

I don't think the guy in the paper knew what he was talking about. He didn't commit to play basketball. He committed to Stoops to play football. Since Football runs until January in most cases. Its really a mute question.

To compare playing basketball and baseball/track to playing basketball and football is silly. Basketball and Football overlap IN SEASON big time. OU isn't North Carolina in football. OU plays in New's Day or better bowls.
Sorry, but I don't see anyone off the football team coming in to the basketball season in January and making a difference or playing minutes. Capel is bringing in far too much talent for this to happen. You can't just switch from football to hoops in early January and play with no basketball practice.

To compare playing basketball and baseball/track to playing basketball and football is silly. Basketball and Football overlap IN SEASON big time. OU isn't North Carolina in football. OU plays in New's Day or better bowls.
Sorry, but I don't see anyone off the football team coming in to the basketball season in January and making a difference or playing minutes. Capel is bringing in far too much talent for this to happen. You can't just switch from football to hoops in early January and play with no basketball practice.

Someone never watched Adarius Bowman...:ford

Originally Posted by HoHum
Someone never watched Adarius Bowman...

How much did he contribute to the basketball team? How good was that basketball team?

Not much. Too busy gettin' high:D....

How much did he contribute to the basketball team? How good was that basketball team?

Nothing and bad.

I was being oh so very sarcastic. Sutton Minor had to get him on the team just to have 10 guys to have full on practices.

Someone never watched Adarius Bowman...:ford

Perfect example. The guy did nothing on an NIT team.
People can bring up Danny Ainge all they want but I'm talking now.
And at OU. This isn't some bush league school. We're talking two programs that are loading up on talent.
How in the world can someone reasonably say a football player is going to come in early January without practice and be a difference maker in basketball. It's silly.

Perfect example. The guy did nothing on an NIT team.
People can bring up Danny Ainge all they want but I'm talking now.
And at OU. This isn't some bush league school. We're talking two programs that are loading up on talent.
How in the world can someone reasonably say a football player is going to come in early January without practice and be a difference maker in basketball. It's silly.

You guys are putting me in a situation of agreeing with Cheno. No one is saying that it won't happen. But it is something that is not happening as much as in the past. The evidence of that is the examples that we're using to reference two sport athletes. If we're talking about Charlie Ward, Tony Gonzalez and RW McQuarters, you have to realize that they did these things over ten years ago. In Charlie Ward's case it's almost twenty years. Someone also referenced Lebron James and Randy Moss. Lebron stopped playing football as a junior and Moss didn't play basketball at FSU or Marshall. Hohum mentioned Adarius Bowman and he was a guy who couldn't get off of the bench for an NIT team with a seven man rotation.

Now there are plenty of athletes that have the talent to play two sports. There's no doubt Taylor could be a hell of a TE with enough work. Jermaine Gresham, a guy who averaged 20plus at 4A Ardmore could definetely get some run for OU, and quite frankly, if he knee recovers, it's not a bad idea for him if he wants his stock to rise. But this is something that is becoming rare because each sport is becoming more specialized and each coach of each sport wants a total investment by their athletes because that coaches job is on the line most times.

It's possible and a few players have the talent. Griffin who played AAU with Sam said Bradford could get PT on the BB team and of course as mentioned there is Gresham who had the best chance to actually be a contributor in BB. But that doesn't mean it will happen. Stoops said early on when Capel first came in and so many recruits abandon ship with Sampson leaving, that if his players could contribute to the BB team and not just sit the bench, he was all for it and would support that. However, with the talent Capel has brought in, he doesn't need that help anymore and McCay would end up just sitting the bench. This was discussed on Rivals as well shortly after he committed and Josh had just talked to McCay, he assured us that McCay would only be playing football.

I don't think we have a realistic chance at landing Seantrel Henderson the 6'8 OT that plays BB on the AAU circuit as well, but he has said he wants to play both and that might be a factor in the school he picks. I bet Stoops would let him play to land his talent right now. Of course I have not seen him play BB and don't know how good he is.

Again, Charlie Ward (I think Charlie won the National Championship, I know he won the Heisman), Dave Campell, Dave Wynnfield all did it. If that was the condition to get AD, I guaranty it would have happened, especially if AD was as good at basketball as he was at football.

You cannot say it will not happen. I think Baketball and baseball overlap. I think basketball and track overlap. If you go to the final four in basketball the season is not over until April. Baseball is heading into the stretch run.

You cannot say it will not happen.

I didn't say it will not happen. I guy could do it and sit on the bench and not play. It's not going to happen with a guy that contributes. Like DM said, Charlie Ward is almost 20 years ago now and FSU basketball is not at the level OU hoops is at.

Back