K-State's Pullen pumped by Wildcats' summer workouts

Sooner23

Reaction score
It's not about OU, but I thought it was an interesting read relating to the Big 12.

Will K-State win the Big 12 next year?

K-State’s Pullen pumped by Wildcats’ summer workouts
By KELLIS ROBINETT
The Kansas City Star

MANHATTAN, Kan. | Playing pickup basketball games with his Kansas State teammates this summer has made Jacob Pullen more confident than ever.

“The sky is the limit for this team,” said Pullen, a senior guard. “We’re going to start the season as a top-five team, and as the season goes on I think we will be the No. 1-ranked team in the nation.”

Pullen has no problem making that claim partly because the Wildcats return all but three players from a group that advanced to the Elite Eight last season. But for the most part his enthusiasm comes from what he’s seen behind closed doors at Bramlage Coliseum during the last month.

Aside from incoming recruit Juevol Myles, who Wildcats coach Frank Martin said is finishing two classes at Tallahassee (Fla.) Community College, the entire roster is on campus. Pullen can’t think of a negative thing to say about that.

He likes the way Curtis Kelly and Jamar Samuels are playing. He thinks sophomores Rodney McGruder and Wally Judge have improved significantly. And he believes the new faces are better than advertised.

“It’s amazing what one summer can do,” Pullen said. “We’ve grown a lot. It’s looking like we have all the pieces we need to run the show.”

Best of all, those pieces are jelling.

“I’m sure we’ll have issues like every team has, but they’re not going to be issues of people disliking each other,” Martin said. “That’s the advantage of having returning players. They have a better understanding of each other and how things work.”

Of the newcomers, junior-college transfer Freddy Asprilla and freshman Will Spradling are turning the most heads.

Samuels compared Asprilla’s body type to former K-State center Luis Colon and his playing style to Kelly.

“Freddy is very impressive,” Samuels said. “I’m loving his game. He’s a good inside player. He’s Luis Colon, but more skilled. He’s got a huge body, and he knows how to use his skills. He’s got great footwork and can score.”

Spradling, from Shawnee Mission South, has been impressive on defense. The first time he went up against Samuels in the open court, teammates say he stole the ball and scored on the other end.

“Defensively, Will is better than I thought he would be at this point,” Pullen said. “It’s still open gym, so you can’t tell a lot, but he’s pretty far along for a freshman.”

NCAA rules restrict Martin from working with his players in the summer, so he can’t say who the best player has been. But he is confident the Wildcats are practicing as if the 2010-11 season has already begun.

He is interested to see who enters fall practices ready to fill the leadership void left by former point guard Denis Clemente.

“Jacob did that last year whenever Denis wasn’t in the game,” Martin said. “But now he’s going to have to spearhead it without Denis at his side. Which one of those freshman guards is going to embrace that and grow like Jacob did two years ago? I want to know how different people are going to accept different roles.”

Pullen is up for the challenge. He’s planning on handling the majority of K-State’s point-guard duties next season and is working on his passing more than shooting.

“It’s just a great chance for me to make plays,” Pullen said. “If my points average goes down, that’s fine as long as I’m getting assists, I’m getting my teammates involved and our team wins. I look forward to leading in that way.”

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/21/v-print/2034225/k-states-pullen-pumped-by-wildcats.html

The best laid schemes of mice and men go oft awry. If you see it once, you've seen it a thousand times. Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey.

Weird that the KC Star based in Kansas City would do a story on the pick up play of a team based about 2 hours away from K.C. Shouldn't they be running football realginment/predictions stories since this is June and football is right around the corner?

Anyway good read and KSU remains my pick to win the Big 12.

KSU has got to beat KU to have a chance to win The Big 12. So far, they haven't been able to do it...

kstate needs someone to step up as a big 12 level 2 guard. honestly, it's hard to see anyone on the roster that is going to do that.

on the plus side, there are 4-5 possibilities, so even though all are individually improbable, the collective odds aren't so bad.

Jacob Pullen said:
“It’s still open gym, so you can’t tell a lot, but he’s pretty far along for a freshman.”

That's what jumped out to me the most.

I think a lot of people are underestimating the loss of Clemente. They are bringing in a juco point, and I guess they like Will Spradling based on the fact that a point guard could steal the ball from a 4 in the open court once in practice... but I highly doubt either of those two come close to replacing what Clemente gave them.

They've got plenty of talent and a few likely candidates to step up production, but I could see them struggling if/when Pullen is on the bench or has a bad game. I don't think you can be an elite basketball team with just one high level point guard.

Weird that the KC Star based in Kansas City would do a story on the pick up play of a team based about 2 hours away from K.C. Shouldn't they be running football realginment/predictions stories since this is June and football is right around the corner?

Its Kansas.... They don't know how to play football there.

It's true... and yet they can't understand how their 38,000 fans per football game can't much as much money as OU, UT, and A&M :facepalm

That's what jumped out to me the most.

I think a lot of people are underestimating the loss of Clemente. They are bringing in a juco point, and I guess they like Will Spradling based on the fact that a point guard could steal the ball from a 4 in the open court once in practice... but I highly doubt either of those two come close to replacing what Clemente gave them.

They've got plenty of talent and a few likely candidates to step up production, but I could see them struggling if/when Pullen is on the bench or has a bad game. I don't think you can be an elite basketball team with just one high level point guard.

I think KSU is going to win the big12 this year. A team like Missouri could give them problems due to some potential ball-handling issues. But KSU's front-court is likely to be so good that they will overpower most of the teams on their schedule.

Sawyer- I think you are underestimating the talent KSU has in the backcourt. Irving, McGruder and Nick Russell all look pretty competent to me. Kansas will probably have a better back-court with Morningstar, Selby, Reed, Taylor and Johnson. Missouri will be better than KSU in the backcourt with Dixon, Denmon, Pressey and English. Baylor might have better starters in Dunn and Walton but not as deep as KSU. UT could have a good backcourt with Joseph, Brown, Lucas, Ward, Balbay and Hamilton if Barnes decides to shorten his rotation. If he keeps trying to play all those guys, it will be another disaster.

Point is that KSU's backcourt is probably top 5 in the big12, but their frontcourt is so superior to everyone else that they will be extremely tough to beat. I think KSU is the 3rd best team pre-season. Duke #1 and Purdue #2.

Aspirilla, Judge, Samuels, Sutton, Kelly- that is a lot of strength, length and athleticism to throw at opponents.

Last edited:
If I was a KSU fan my concern would be how are we going to score.
Last year if Clemente and Pullen didn't combine for at least 50 they struggled.
They have one guy that can score consistently and that's Pullen. And I think he'll find it much harder to score this year because last year Clemente took a lot of the pressure off of him. Plus KSU won't sneak up on anyone this year. Try being the hunted every game and the pressure that goes with it. We'll see if they're ready.

They have one guy that can score consistently and that's Pullen.

nah. kelly was v. effective in the 2nd half of last year, asprilla can score, mcgruder can shoot, samuels goes to the line every other time he touches the ball. not even mentioning probable improvement of some players(i.e. judge).

the concern is finding an adequate 2, like i posted earlier.

Actually, the KC Star is in MO not KS. Kansas City, MO is much larger than Kansas City, KS and is where the Chiefs and Royals are. The only thing notable that KCK has as far as sports is the Kansas Speedway and the KC Star covers all three of the "local" schools (MU, KSU, and ku).

the concern is finding an adequate 2, like i posted earlier.

Pullen was the two this year. Is he going to play the point?
That could effect his play...he's not really a true point is he?

It's true... and yet they can't understand how their 38,000 fans per football game can't much as much money as OU, UT, and A&M :facepalm

Who can't understand that? What an odd comment.

BTW, before I even clicked on this thread I knew there would be a negative post from Cheno. I'm actually surprised it was as mild as it was. Nevertheless it was definitely status quo for Cheno. I'd be willing to bet that there has never been a thread about KSU or MU on this board that Cheno hasn't posted something negative. Very predictable.

Pullen was the two this year. Is he going to play the point?
That could effect his play...he's not really a true point is he?

plan is for him to play point, slight possibility that myles comes in and takes pg and pullen moves back to 2.

he's played pg his entire life except the last 2 years. up until about february, 2010, a common theme on both kstate and ku message boards was that martin had clemente and pullen mixed up, that pullen was the "true pg" and clemente liked to shoot too much. kstate basically ran a 2 pg offense anyways. just also ran pullen off screens a lot.

plan is for him to play point, slight possibility that myles comes in and takes pg and pullen moves back to 2.

he's played pg his entire life except the last 2 years. up until about february, 2010, a common theme on both kstate and ku message boards was that martin had clemente and pullen mixed up, that pullen was the "true pg" and clemente liked to shoot too much. kstate basically ran a 2 pg offense anyways. just also ran pullen off screens a lot.

Sys do you think you win the Big 12 this year?

Sys do you think you win the Big 12 this year?

probably not, but they've got a shot.

it's a wide open league. ku, ksu, ut or bu, none of them would surprise me. a&m or mu would surprise me, but not a ton.

Missouri, KSU, KU, UT, and OSU will be the top 5 teams in the Big 12 next year.

Baylor is losing a TON with Tweety Carter (perhaps the most underrated player in the league last year) and Ekpe Udoh, who was big time. Those were older guys with tons of experience who won them a lot of games.

Missouri, KSU, KU, UT, and OSU will be the top 5 teams in the Big 12 next year.

Baylor is losing a TON with Tweety Carter (perhaps the most underrated player in the league last year) and Ekpe Udoh, who was big time. Those were older guys with tons of experience who won them a lot of games.

muonelo and anderson were at least as important to osu as carter and udoh were to bu. and bu has more talent returning and better incomers.

did pilgrim's situation ever get resolved? having him, or not, obviously will make a difference to their team.

Back