K-State's Pullen pumped by Wildcats' summer workouts

Missouri, KSU, KU, UT, and OSU will be the top 5 teams in the Big 12 next year.

Baylor is losing a TON with Tweety Carter (perhaps the most underrated player in the league last year) and Ekpe Udoh, who was big time. Those were older guys with tons of experience who won them a lot of games.

big- I think you are underrating Baylor this year. Not as bad as you did A&M last year though :) Didn't you pick them 11th? I digress...

There is no question that Tweety Carter and Ekpe Udoh were smart, high effort players and good leaders for Baylor. And I certainly don't underestimate those qualities. In reality, everything set up great for Baylor last year. Low expectations (coaches picked them 10th preseason); they had an under the radar big-time player in Udoh; a proven, experienced backcourt in Dunn/Carter; no injuries. Baylor will likely not enjoy a season like that ever again (in terms of low expectations/and then finish ranked 10th in the nation).

Now they are one of the hunted along with Kansas and Kansas State. Last time they were one of the hunted, they didn't do so well. But their roster was terribly unbalanced then. Not so much now.

Baylor has three players that will give their left nut to win in Dunn, Acy and Walton. Those three will provide lots of leadership for them. The word out of Waco on Perry Jones is very encouraging (from a Baylor standpoint). First one in the gym and weight room and the last to turn the lights out. He is focused on shedding the disinterested tag that some have laid on him.

If PJ is focused, Baylor has 4 really good all-around players. Most teams have two or three. Anthony Jones is somewhat proven- especially defensively. He will be in the rotation. Baylor staff is very high on Cory Jefferson- 6'9" 215lbs. He has gained a lot of strength in the off-season. Cory was voted the best athlete and dunker on last year's team by the players (and that team included Quincy Acy). So although they will be thinner (less bulky) in the frontcourt than this past year, they will be more athletic with Jones, Jones, Acy and Jefferson. Dragan Sekelja will probably be used in Lomers role. He's not as strong as Lomers but he is a much better athlete.

The question mark with Baylor will be the backcourt. Dunn and Walton will be good. Baylor will need contributions from either Nolan Dennis, Stargell Love or Brady Heslip. Stargell Love is a terrific athlete. But he is not through the clearinghouse yet. He went to one of those basketball focused prep schools and the NCAA is selectively making it very difficult for players to get cleared from schools like Quality Education Academy (Love, Quincy Miller) and God's Academy (KC Ross Miller- LSU). The exception to that is of course programs like Texas (Findlay Prep kids seemed to get cleared no problem) and Kentucky (Enes Kanter/John Wall). Recruits from those schools get sent to the special clearinghouse door. But for everyone else, this is going to be an issue going forward.

Last edited:
probably not, but they've got a shot.

Why not? Most pre-season rankings have them top 5-10 and picked to win the Big 12. I'm curious as to why you don't think it will happen.

The exception to that is of course programs like Texas (Findlay Prep kids seemed to get cleared no problem) and Kentucky (Enes Kanter/John Wall). Recruits from those schools get sent to the special clearinghouse door. But for everyone else, this is going to be an issue going forward.

findley prep was a bball team only, their players attended classes at henderson intl, which was a real school. hence the lack of problems qualifying.

Why not? Most pre-season rankings have them top 5-10 and picked to win the Big 12. I'm curious as to why you don't think it will happen.

ku, bu & ut all have better talent, if not necc. the experience. all four are about equal = 25% chance. actually knock that down a little to give some % shot to a&m and mu.

Back