Keith Clark what could have been

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
This guy had all the tools. He was a legit 6'8, he could put it on the floor, shoot, bang down low, get off his feet well, and hit the boards. His biggest problem at OU was conditioning, and now, he is in excellent shape. Only if he could get his head on right. He's averaging 12pts and 7rbs with the 66ers which aint bad.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrspYnM5_PU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Keith Clark is exactly why the rule you have to go to college a year is a terrible rule. Kid had no desire to be in school. Why force kids to go to college that don't want to be. He could have put his name in the NBA draft out of high school.

Desire period is his problem. In high school he dogged it some games, sat around the perimeter and played point foward. He only really came to play when they played Sante Fe and Muenelo and Udoh. When he played against them, he showed out. I don't know if he has an agent or not, but if he does, he should be fired. He should be at Portsmouth. Mike Taylor had the same senario that he did and got in on some pre draft camps and got drafted. The more the scouts can see him, the better, whether he gets drafted or joins someone as a free agent.

Some kids just are not cut out to be in college. Its a shame too because student-athletes get all the help and resources needed to pass. I remember always saying to myself its just 16 weeks of your life each semester to help get me by the classes i did not enjoy having to take........

We talked about him a little earlier this season after the dunk contest. Can't believe what kind of shape he is in now! Looks like he could have a shot at the league soon. Has the ability and apparently has the desire now to work hard and is over the knee injury. Like you said, he never cared about academics, OU barely got him qualified in the first place if you remember, didn't he have to take the ACT multiple times and maybe even got it read to him finally because he was LD?

He graduated from the University of Oklahoma High school. An online school.

Some kids just are not cut out to be in college. Its a shame too because student-athletes get all the help and resources needed to pass. I remember always saying to myself its just 16 weeks of your life each semester to help get me by the classes i did not enjoy having to take........

This. When I played baseball I couldn't fail if I tried! There is no reason an athlete can't maintain a passing grade.

What's the D League all about if it's not for NBA player personel people to keep an eye on prospects?

If he's in the D League and shows promise, they'll call him up. However, 12 and 7 is not exactly living large in Dsville.

As far as being ready out of highschool, KC wasn't close.

As far as the clip, I agree that anyone who gets in top shape can make a big contribution to a college team. He could have been huge for us.

Keith Clark is exactly why the rule you have to go to college a year is a terrible rule. Kid had no desire to be in school. Why force kids to go to college that don't want to be. He could have put his name in the NBA draft out of high school.

Forcing kids to go to college protects hundreds if not thousands of kids from making the foolish assumption that they will be good enough to go straight to the pros and not getting an education. I personally think the NBA should adopt the rule that WNBA has and not allow anyone in the league prior to age 22.

What's the D League all about if it's not for NBA player personel people to keep an eye on prospects?

If he's in the D League and shows promise, they'll call him up. However, 12 and 7 is not exactly living large in Dsville.

As far as being ready out of highschool, KC wasn't close.

As far as the clip, I agree that anyone who gets in top shape can make a big contribution to a college team. He could have been huge for us.

It's a pretty decent number for a foward, especially one who has to play behind Ryan Humphrey and Gary Forbes. Add to that, the NBDL is very guard oriented. Bookout only averaged 6pts. The fact that he has played very limited basketball over the last two years and has made the improvements he has is respectable.

If's are the difference-always.
If our guards shoot well consistently we beat UNC.
If Blake Griffin comes back- OU wins Big 12 next year and likely final four.
If AJ stays healthy maybe he makes all Big 12
If OU women have fewer turnovers, they play for national championship.
If Keith Clark has more desire, more discipline, makes better decisions and dedicates himself to be a great student athlete, he may have been a great college basketball player.

This. When I played baseball I couldn't fail if I tried! There is no reason an athlete can't maintain a passing grade.

That can be the situation often at universities. However, not always because professors sometimes hate athletes. I was advised in college to change my major because many of the professors were anti athlete. Let's face it, athletes are stereotyped....maybe a little more in some sports than others. Ironically, they are pre judged probably because of guys like Clarke. I'm sure OU's academic advisors know which teachers to avoid but I would not say its that much of a cakewalk.

Forcing kids to go to college protects hundreds if not thousands of kids from making the foolish assumption that they will be good enough to go straight to the pros and not getting an education. I personally think the NBA should adopt the rule that WNBA has and not allow anyone in the league prior to age 22.

aka Keith Clark.

He had no shot at the NBA out of high school, with or without the rule.

There is no rule in the NBA that says kids have to go to college for a year. Don't know where you got that idea.

There is no rule in the NBA that says kids have to go to college for a year. Don't know where you got that idea.

That's what I'm curious about; is the rule one year of college, or one year removed from high school?

saw him the other night at the AMC Quail Springs watching the Watchmen

He was one of my favorite players on last year's squad. It is a shame that he and college didn't see eye to eye.

Desire period is his problem. In high school he dogged it some games, sat around the perimeter and played point foward. He only really came to play when they played Sante Fe and Muenelo and Udoh. When he played against them, he showed out. I don't know if he has an agent or not, but if he does, he should be fired. He should be at Portsmouth. Mike Taylor had the same senario that he did and got in on some pre draft camps and got drafted. The more the scouts can see him, the better, whether he gets drafted or joins someone as a free agent.

exactly. in high school he could have averaged 30 a game playing in the paint. they had a good point guard in meme young on that team, but burtchi was too much of an idiot, and too afraid of moose to say anything to his star. moose did a ton of things that he should have probably been kicked off the team for in high school, but nothing ever came of any of it. i heard recently that he's doing really well and has gotten his life together, so thats always a good sign.

Back