Kelvin assisting in current OU recruiting

chasephill68

Reaction score
Apparently Kelvin gave Tobias Harris a bigtime 2010 recruit a glowing review of Oklahoma recently and Harris talked about how much that meant to him. Thanks Kelvin!

P.S.- Harris plans on visiting OU in August sometime

Lol, great work OUBasketball09! James must have read your thread because the day after there is an update.

Says he wants to play for a coach who can get him into the NBA and a PG who can get him the ball. Capel and TMG sound pretty good for that.

:jcapel

:tmg

Says he wants to play for a coach who can get him into the NBA and a PG who can get him the ball. Capel and TMG sound pretty good for that.

:jcapel

:tmg

Getting to the NBA and having a good PG are important factors for any player. However, his tone has too much me and not enough we to it.

Getting to the NBA and having a good PG are important factors for any player. However, his tone has too much me and not enough we to it.

Spock, I could be wrong, but I didn't interpret it that way. He talked about his versatility and his unique ability to play four positions (one, two, three or four). He said he wants to play for a coach who would not look at his 6' 8" frame (projected to be 6' 10" before he quits growing), and limit him to being a post-up power forward. Judging by the reports I've read, he definitely has the skills to play the two, three or four. I have my doubts about playing the point.

His size and skill set reminds me of Kevin Durant. Durant would not have fared nearly as well at UT if Barnes had forced him to play the low post. If Harris has the potential to be that good, I don't think Capel will mind where he plays. ;)

Oh, and a big thanks to Kelvin for the assist!

Apparently Kelvin gave Tobias Harris a bigtime 2010 recruit a glowing review of Oklahoma recently and Harris talked about how much that meant to him. Thanks Kelvin!

P.S.- Harris plans on visiting OU in August sometime

Interesting. I don't think we are going to land Tobias, but I still appreciate Kelvin's help. I would be great if he could continue to become involved again with the program. He could really help in a variety of ways. :kelvin :clap

From Hale:

I talked to Coach (Kelvin) Sampson and he speaks very highly of the University of Oklahoma. I think the recommendation that I got from Coach Sampson is basically stronger, and just as strong as anything else that makes me want to see and learn more, and visit the University of Oklahoma.”

Good stuff.

Uh, call me crazy, but isn't Kelvin Sampson banned from interacting with recruits for a few more years? Did they have a pre-existing relationship or something?

Uh, call me crazy, but isn't Kelvin Sampson banned from interacting with recruits for a few more years? Did they have a pre-existing relationship or something?

I don't know about that but I was thought NBA coaches couldn't talk to high schoolers. I could be wrong...I just thought I remember hearing another coach awhile back being reprimanded for that. Maybe that was when they could go straight to the pros out of high school.

Interesting point. I don't know how this would work unless they did have a pre-existing relationship. If James takes that portion out of his interview then we will know something is up! :)

Whether Kelvin is banned, or not, he isn't part of the NCAA anymore and unless he wants to get back into coaching at the collegiate level he can do whatever he wants. He's certainly not a booster or agent so unless the NBA has some rule he can talk to whomever he wants.

Whether Kelvin is banned, or not, he isn't part of the NCAA anymore and unless he wants to get back into coaching at the collegiate level he can do whatever he wants. He's certainly not a booster or agent so unless the NBA has some rule he can talk to whomever he wants.
That is certainly true, good point. Personally I think it would be pretty funny if Sampson decided to just give the middle finger to the NCAA and do whatever he wanted. The only worry I would have is that some in Indianapolis would then have it out for his son, although Kellen is going to have to walk the straight and narrow anyway because of who he is.

Anyone more knowlegable than me want to take a stab at interpreting this:

The NCAA already has placed various forms of restrictions against Sampson during that five-year period. He is prohibited from engaging in any on- or off-campus recruiting or interaction with prospective student-athletes from Nov. 25, 2008, to Nov. 24, 2011.

Sampson also is not allowed to conduct any phone calls or any other electronic correspondence with recruits during that time. Limits were put on any recruiting contact until the fall of 2012, as well.

If Harris called Sampson then I don't think there could possibly be a violation, I persoanlly doubt Kelvin called Tobias. Thoughts?

Apparently, it is perfectly legal for Kelvin to call a prospect, as long as it is from a USC telephone.

The NCAA already has placed various forms of restrictions against Sampson during that five-year period. He is prohibited from engaging in any on- or off-campus recruiting or interaction with prospective student-athletes from Nov. 25, 2008, to Nov. 24, 2011.

Sampson also is not allowed to conduct any phone calls or any other electronic correspondence with recruits during that time. Limits were put on any recruiting contact until the fall of 2012, as well.

Tony found this and it pretty much sums it up doesn't it? He can't have contact or interraction with recruits. Sounds like he's violated that but if he has no intentions of ever coaching in the NCAA it really doesn't matter.

Tony found this and it pretty much sums it up doesn't it? He can't have contact or interraction with recruits. Sounds like he's violated that but if he has no intentions of ever coaching in the NCAA it really doesn't matter.

Since you're a former Kelvin Hater and a BIG KU fan, I'm surprised you don't inform the NCAA of this apparent violation. :D

Since you're a former Kelvin Hater and a BIG KU fan, I'm surprised you don't inform the NCAA of this apparent violation. :D

What would being a KU fan have to do with informing the NCAA? This has nothing to do with OU or the Big 12. This would have to do with Kelvin and trying to get another NCAA gig. And I didn't find the apparent violation...Tony did. Seems pretty clear to me.....and also probably shows that KS has no apparent desire to get back into NCAA coaching. If I was him I wouldn't either. I stick with the NBA rather than some weak small school D1 job.

Last edited:
Seems pretty clear to me.....and also probably shows that KS has no apparent desire to get back into NCAA coaching. If I was him I wouldn't either. I stick with the NBA rather than some weak small school D1 job.
Then what was his recent appeal all about? I don't think there is another idiot out there like Greenspan who would put their neck on the line for a guy like Kelvin who has trouble following the rules. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. But then again, there are plenty of morons out there who still believe OJ is innocent.

:billy2849:

If absolute scumbags like Todd Bozeman can get another D-1 job after the crap he pulled, then anybody can.

Back