Kruger talks about the signing of Dinjiyl Walker

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More stuff than in the quoted section below here:

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209486449

"Dinjiyl brings the versatility to play both the point and off-guard positions," said Kruger, who is 43-22 the last two seasons at OU. "He's the type of player who makes his teammates better. Having played for Coach Jim Morris at Iowa Western, Dinjiyl brings a very solid basketball foundation both offensively and defensively, and we expect him to fit in extremely well right away."

Said Walker, "After meeting Coach Kruger, all the assistants and playing with the players on my visit (Thursday), I felt Oklahoma would be a great fit. I really like the way they play -- they play fast and like to get up and down -- and my mom and I were very impressed with the academic center."

Walker said he can help the Sooners in a variety of ways.

"I think I bring a lot of things to the table -- mostly scoring and distributing the ball," said Walker. "I like to play combo guard, which is what OU is bringing me in to do. I can shoot it and get to the rack, and I like to create openings and feed my teammates. If they're hitting shots, that's makes me feel as good as if I'm hitting shots."

Walker started his high school career at Vaughan Secondary School before playing his junior and senior seasons at Academy of the New Church near Philadelphia, Pa. He was a first-team Class A Pennsylvania Sportswriters All-State selection as a senior when he averaged 21.2 points per game.

Walker said some of his AAU teammates in Canada included Anthony Bennett (formerly of UNLV; 2013 No. 1 overall NBA Draft pick), Tyler Ennis (formerly of Syracuse; 2014 freshman All-American), Naz Long (Iowa State) and Nik Stauskas (formerly of Michigan; 2014 Big Ten Player of the Year).

Hope this guy is good enough to split minutes with Woodard especially when we are playing someone with a scoring point guard. Really need some perimeter defensive help.

Hope this guy is good enough to split minutes with Woodard especially when we are playing someone with a scoring point guard. Really need some perimeter defensive help.

Woodward will be better on D this year. He has the physical tools. I expect the same jump from him that we got from everybody else last year from the year before. And Woodward was no worse on D than Hield. We weren't very good as a TEAM on D last year. No reason to point fingers.

Woodward will be better on D this year. He has the physical tools. I expect the same jump from him that we got from everybody else last year from the year before. And Woodward was no worse on D than Hield. We weren't very good as a TEAM on D last year. No reason to point fingers.

The perimeter was the weak part with the exception of Cousins. Hornbeak was ok and Buddy and Woodard weren't very good at all. Not pointing fingers just speaking the obvious.

I think defense will be the difference in how far we go next year.

Half his shots were 3s and he hit 40% of them. That's something!!

You gotta like that AAU pedigree... In excited for him, but I'll always wonder what that other guard could have been

Walker gives us one more guard who can score from the perimeter or on drives to the hole. He also has the size and quickness to be a good defender. I like that about him.

Having said that, I agree with those who believe any success we have next year will depend on an improved defense and the team's ability to get stops when doing so can be the difference in a win or loss. Our coaches know that, too, so I'll be shocked if we don't see a renewed focus on team defense from the first practice on. Our offense is already good. We just have to get better on defense.

Back