Lineup for Conference Play

pnkranger

Reaction score
I’m pretty comfortable with our top 8 heading into conference play. Noland and Cortes are solid off the bench. Chagrois is rounding into shape.

Moser is really trying to work Jacob groves into that too 9, but it’s very rough right now. I’m worried about what he will bring in conference play. Need to find a way to break his slump because if he’s not hitting outside shots, I don’t think we can play him consistently.

Marvin Johnson is the only other guy who can give us minutes in conference play, but he’s out of control out there. Hoping we can figure out how to get one of those guys into a consistent rotation.

I’m pretty comfortable with our top 8 heading into conference play. Noland and Cortes are solid off the bench. Chagrois is rounding into shape.

Moser is really trying to work Jacob groves into that too 9, but it’s very rough right now. I’m worried about what he will bring in conference play. Need to find a way to break his slump because if he’s not hitting outside shots, I don’t think we can play him consistently.

Marvin Johnson is the only other guy who can give us minutes in conference play, but he’s out of control out there. Hoping we can figure out how to get one of those guys into a consistent rotation.

i think groves is giving a little better min then you are giving him credit for .. and he is absolutely going to play all year he is the only other guy other then Hill that has gotten real min at the 4 ..

I expect Jacobs’s minutes to vary a lot from game to game. I’m sure he will get in relatively early in each game, and how he plays in that stint will determine whether he gets back in. If he hits a shot or two and doesn’t get completely worked over defensively, he will get back in. If he gets abused by the opposing four man and doesn’t contribute on offense, we will ride Hill for 35 minutes.

Porter has mentioned a couple times recently that he needs the bench to improve defensively. He feels like there has been a big dropoff on that end of the floor when he gives the starters a break, so it’ll be interesting to see how short the leash is now that we won’t have the luxury of big leads like we have recently.

For J Groves it will come down to defense and his ability to contain penetration - if he can do that in the Big 12 then he will play and if he can’t then he probably won’t get much and Jalen will play big minutes.

We need two big plusses

Jacob starting to contribute on offense and hold his own on defense.

Cortes to continue what we saw last night when he looked more to score.

or Johnson to fit Moser's system. One on one will not do it. Sometimes young guys just don't get it.

Or Hill to get more shots. I think he has 7 shots the last two games. He has to pick up the slack when we are cold from deep.

It seems to me that we have improved defensively when we go to the bench. Agree that we can still get better.

Last edited:
Think we need to just give the kid some time and reps. He is providing decent value for the 9 man. His ceiling is quite high IMO.

Back