Making Shots & Turnovers

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
VCU we shot 40.7%.
San Diego we shot 32.8%
Houston we had 18 turnovers vs 7 for them.

Nobody has shot over 50% vs us. Defense is not the issue. We make our shots and don't turn the ball over and everything will turn positive for us.

VCU we shot 40.7%.
San Diego we shot 32.8%

Nobody has shot over 50% vs us. Defense is not the issue. We make our shots and don't turn the ball over and everything will turn positive for us.

-OU gives up more ppg than any other Big 12 team.
-Teams shoot a higher percentage against OU than any other Big 12 team.
-No other Big 12 team collects fewer defensive rebounds than Oklahoma.

Defense is one of the issues. Shooting percentages and turnovers are also an issue.

VCU we shot 40.7%.
San Diego we shot 32.8%

Holding them under 50% does no good if we give up 15 offensive rebounds. That's been killing any kind of defensive flow IMO. Also, against Houston, we gave up 77 points in 26 minutes; a lot of defensive lapses in that span. I was actually pretty happy with the D in the second half of the NSU game; seemed like we played with more intensity on D and forced a lot more turnovers. I think the talent is definitely there to be a fairly good defensive club and I think we'll start to see some improvement now that the team is back on a regular practice schedule.

Man looking at defensive field goal % really gives you a glimpse at how inferior college basketball is to the NBA.

OU's defensive field goal % would make them an elite NBA defensive team. It's not really defense though, it's just crappy offense in college. Which goes back to my original point. Shot a higher % like we did last year and stop turning the ball over and the wins will come.

And BTW Big, Colorado is last in the Big XII in defensive field goal % according to the NCAA statistics site.

I think there's a balance here...if we get just a little bit better at defensive rebounding, cut the turnovers by 5 or so a game, and defend with intensity, everything will start to come together really quickly.

I don't think there is any one thing that is a HUGE issue at this point. It's just a matter of doing everything with a little more effort and intensity. and boxing out. :)

Good point ranger. But is sure is easier to defend when your not turning the ball over and bricking shots which leads to easier buckets for your opponents.

It sure is easier to defend when you make a bucket and can set your defense. Of course that goes both ways. It sure is easier to make a bucket when you force a turnover or a bricked shot so your opponent can't set their defense.

Back