MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

But you're assuming that lazy, sloppy, disinterested play was Moser's fault.
It was Moser's fault in that he kept starting Uzan. If a player is truly lazy and disinterested, a coach should do whatever he can--including benching him--to snap him out of it. Moser's not alone in this--I had the same complaint about Capel, under whom it seemed at times that the inmates were running the asylum. But you have to get tough sometimes and if it doesn't work out, at least you find out early that the player's not a good fit.

It was Moser's fault in that he kept starting Uzan. If a player is truly lazy and disinterested, a coach should do whatever he can--including benching him--to snap him out of it. Moser's not alone in this--I had the same complaint about Capel, under whom it seemed at times that the inmates were running the asylum. But you have to get tough sometimes and if it doesn't work out, at least you find out early that the player's not a good fit.
Lol.

I agree a coach has to "inspire" players, but can imagine this board if Moser had started Maks with JMac at PG/SG the last half of the season while Uzan and Oweh ride the pine.

And mentioning Los' demeanor and production to TMG, Tiny Gallon, and that year of Capel is really LOL.

Lol.

I agree a coach has to "inspire" players, but can imagine this board if Moser had started Maks with JMac at PG/SG the last half of the season while Uzan and Oweh ride the pine.
LOL yourself.

I sincerely hope Moser isn't basing his coaching decisions on how this board will react to them. And I never said anything about half a season. Half a game ought to do the trick, if Uzan has any grit and pride. And if Maks truly was the only option in the event of Uzan being benched (or injured), that also reflects poorly on Moser. It would mean he clearly hadn't done his job as a recruitor.

LOL yourself.

I sincerely hope Moser isn't basing his coaching decisions on how this board will react to them. And I never said anything about half a season. Half a game ought to do the trick, if Uzan has any grit and pride. And if Maks truly was the only option in the event of Uzan being benched (or injured), that also reflects poorly on Moser. It would mean he clearly hadn't done his job as a recruitor.
LOL

I agree Kelvin has shown he can draw more out of a player than Porter has done. But you're assuming that lazy, sloppy, disinterested play was Moser's fault.

If that play and attitude are due to Uzan- how can you be sure Kelvin can fix it? Moser couldn't and Los hasn't shown he can handle badgering/control type of coaching, and we all know Kelvin is more stick than carrot when compared to Moser. Unless something changes inside Uzan, he'll be in the doghouse more than he thrives at Houston.

No doubt Kelvin can make him a better player than he is now- but he has to want it AND accept the "coaching" Kelvin will give him. I'm not sure he's the type that will.
I got to sit on 2nd row at a conference game and you could hear Moser yelling go go go or faster through the the game especially dribbling up the court. Most of the time it did not happen. As many have stated the offense was stagnant at times. I wonder if players did not grasp or make reads fast enough for the style coach was wanting, cause he was clearly trying to push them to go faster. This is a player issue but also coach. If it’s to complicated, change the plans

I agree Kelvin has shown he can draw more out of a player than Porter has done. But you're assuming that lazy, sloppy, disinterested play was Moser's fault.

If that play and attitude are due to Uzan- how can you be sure Kelvin can fix it? Moser couldn't and Los hasn't shown he can handle badgering/control type of coaching, and we all know Kelvin is more stick than carrot when compared to Moser. Unless something changes inside Uzan, he'll be in the doghouse more than he thrives at Houston.

No doubt Kelvin can make him a better player than he is now- but he has to want it AND accept the "coaching" Kelvin will give him. I'm not sure he's the type that will.
Exactly! At some point, we have to put some of the blame back on the player. The kid literally was worse in FG%, 3P%, and FT% this year. I don't think I've ever seen a kid get worse in every shooting category like that before. I'd almost question if he was getting in any extra work on his shot outside of practice because it doesn't appear that he was.

Yep. Somebody didn't know what they were talking about.
Sorry, I didn't know we were counting guys who had a cup of coffee in the NBA. Most ALL those guys listed played in a handful of NBA games...and aren't there currently. I forgot about Sasser, so I'll give you that one. Eric Gordon is about the only one who has been relevant. My point was, Kelvin isn't and never has been a guy who has just flooded the NBA with talent. He finds guys to grind in his system and it has worked. But let's not pretend that he will turn Los into a NBA all-star. I hope Los goes there and has great success. I'm pulling for him, and thought most who have ripped him aren't giving him enough credit. If he does succeed there...a lot of it will be due to the players around him as well.

It's not like he didn't have his chances at OU. The whole "development" topic is overblown. It's not PM's fault that he didn't finish at the rim near as much, or shoot under 30% from 3 this year...that's on Los.

Exactly! At some point, we have to put some of the blame back on the player. The kid literally was worse in FG%, 3P%, and FT% this year. I don't think I've ever seen a kid get worse in every shooting category like that before. I'd almost question if he was getting in any extra work on his shot outside of practice because it doesn't appear that he was.
I'll put it on the player when Moser shows some kind of consistent development of other players. Sure, at that point, the ones not developing, it's probably on the players. But when that non-development is true of just about every young player passing through our program, when that is true of most all of them, I'm not going to put that on all of the players. That makes no sense. That is coaching (or lack of it).

Wrong.

Stephen cost us Trey.
What did Stephen Alexander do to cost us Trey?

Still one of the best players I have seen not make it bigger bc of grades, was a real talent. (Unless you mean another Stephen)

I don't know that I would call all those guys high end, but I see your point. But those were many years ago and he has lost almost no one to the portal at Houston. He may have adjusted somewhat, but I also think he has been doing it so well for so long that any player who signs there now is well aware that he is demanding and won't compromise on certain things. Maybe he will decide Los isn't a fit, or maybe they will offer someone better. But if he does go there -- he will learn very quickly that some of the careless play has to stop if he wants to see the floor.
houston NIL is much better then the OU under the table funds from back in the day ..

I'll put it on the player when Moser shows some kind of consistent development of other players. Sure, at that point, the ones not developing, it's probably on the players. But when that non-development is true of just about every young player passing through our program, when that is true of most all of them, I'm not going to put that on all of the players. That makes no sense. That is coaching (or lack of it).
Agree for the most part. But I think we did have some development. Certain players were better, most of them the older players. And even Oweh was better until he got the yips and it got in his head. So does he get some credit for Oweh being better up to February than he was in '23?

Not saying he's great at development- that has been one of my criticisms, leading to my biggest issue with him- improving his communication/buy-in with his players and staff so everyone is on the same page. I think his vision is good- that's why he can recruit HS pretty effectively. It's translating to improvement in many phases that are lacking.

As @snydrosooner pointed out, he can communicate it all he wants, but if the players don't respond, that's on them. But he's gotta find a better way to get them to respond- either in-game coaching, practice skills, or development. He has to get them to believe it as much as he does. Then they will do it, get better, be a gym rat, etc.

That's his biggest fault, IMO.

Strangely enough with Hausen, there are rumors that a Villanova player is transferring to UCONN. And since that speculation started this morning, and Hausen is the first Nova kid hitting the portal, people think it's him.

If not, I've always kind of thought Tech made sense (West Texas kid).

But I imagine OU will try, assuming the kid isn't 100% locked in with someone else already.

I had to chuckle just now seeing confirmation that JM's agent is that Philips guy who was tweeting about him being the "most interesting draft prospect" last summer. There were people citing that dude as a credible source, and the Lusk kid (who has no idea what being an objective "reporter" means) actually went out of his way to praise JM's "team" on Twitter last week for being good people. All of which is to say, much of what passes for intel on the OU basketball beat is just info being fed to reporters in exchange for tweets and articles talking about how "elite" our players are.

Back to Los -- he should immediately sign if offered by Houston. The lazy, sloppy, disinterested play that we saw this season will be immediately fixed by Kelvin, and then we will see what his actual potential is.
I thought it was TYs dad tweeting that

Agree for the most part. But I think we did have some development. Certain players were better, most of them the older players. And even Oweh was better until he got the yips and it got in his head. So does he get some credit for Oweh being better up to February than he was in '23?

Not saying he's great at development- that has been one of my criticisms, leading to my biggest issue with him- improving his communication/buy-in with his players and staff so everyone is on the same page. I think his vision is good- that's why he can recruit HS pretty effectively. It's translating to improvement in many phases that are lacking.

As @snydrosooner pointed out, he can communicate it all he wants, but if the players don't respond, that's on them. But he's gotta find a better way to get them to respond- either in-game coaching, practice skills, or development. He has to get them to believe it as much as he does. Then they will do it, get better, be a gym rat, etc.

That's his biggest fault, IMO.
I’d push back on Oweh. I don’t think he improved. I think he feasted on bad teams. His Big 12 numbers this year weren’t any better than last season. I don’t think he got the yips. He’s a legitimately awful shooter, which is why Big 12 teams more or less dared him to shoot. His start to the season was based on a small sample size of 15-20 threes against inferior teams.

Waldo and Moore were better this year than they’d ever been, and Moser deserves some credit for that. But I chat think of anyone who has played two years for him in Norman who improved from year one to year two. I hope Moore becomes that guy if he returns.

Oh I get it, you’re making the oh-so-clever argument that (a) some of these guys didn’t have long careers, while also (b) exposing yourself as someone who doesn’t really follow the NBA.

I guess I should give you credit … this post at least adds the word “who” to your typical contribution.

Back