MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

So just a level set here to get a better feel for the current lay of the land as far as the OU men's bball roster goes:

Current Roster
Guards

Kaden Cooper - Sophomore
Dayton Forsythe - Freshman

Wings
Jalon Moore - Senior
Jacolb Cole - RS Freshman
Kuol Atak - Freshman

Bigs
Sam Godwin - Super Senior
Yaya Keita - Senior
Luke Northweather - RS Sophomore

Current Quasi-Realistic Transfer Targets
Guards
Sean Pedulla - Senior (Virginia Tech)
Selton Miguel - Senior (South Florida)

Wings
Kevin Overton - Sophomore (Drake)

Bigs
Brandon Garrison - Sophomore (Oklahoma State)

It does not inspire confidence that we are (1) still carrying dead weight (looking at you Yaya) and (2) wouldn't even have a full roster if we were to land all of the listed realistic transfer targets - and the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Getting Pedulla plus one of Miguel/Overton would be a nice start, but Godwin cannot be our starting 5 next season and we need A LOT more help on the perimeter. I want to believe we will grab some difference makers, but its hard to see where a guy like that would come from as we stand here today. Hopefully things start changing on the other side of this dead period.

So just a level set here to get a better feel for the current lay of the land as far as the OU men's bball roster goes:

Current Roster
Guards

Kaden Cooper - Sophomore

Wings
Jalon Moore - Senior
Kuol Atak - Freshman

Bigs
Yaya Keita - Senior

Guards

Wings

Bigs

It does not inspire confidence that we are (1) still carrying dead weight (looking at you Yaya) and (2) wouldn't even have a full roster if we were to land all of the listed realistic transfer targets - and the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Getting Pedulla plus one of Miguel/Overton would be a nice start, but Godwin cannot be our starting 5 next season and we need A LOT more help on the perimeter. I want to believe we will grab some difference makers, but its hard to see where a guy like that would come from as we stand here today. Hopefully things start changing on the other side of this dead period.
I think the fact that Yaya isn’t being pushed out might mean the staff is not planning on getting a start type big from the portal.

It’s win or get fired. If that’s what they’re doing, they will all be fired. I don’t think that’s what they’re doing.
We'll let it shake out, but it's hard to imagine they are going to be able to get a major upgrade at the 5, and the 3-4 guards we need, all from the Portal. Again, we'll know in less than two months probably, but that is a BIG ask from the Portal in one offseason, and why it was important to probably hold onto at least one of JM, Oweh, or Uzan. But again, we'll see.

We'll let it shake out, but it's hard to imagine they are going to be able to get a major upgrade at the 5, and the 3-4 guards we need, all from the Portal. Again, we'll know in less than two months probably, but that is a BIG ask from the Portal in one offseason, and why it was important to probably hold onto at least one of JM, Oweh, or Uzan. But again, we'll see.
Also, the fact we only signed two high school guys, at least one of whom is unlikely to play next season, makes me think Moser drastically miscalculated how many guys we would lose after this season. Hence, we end up needing to fill 100 spots from the portal.

Also, the fact we only signed two high school guys, at least one of whom is unlikely to play next season, makes me think Moser drastically miscalculated how many guys we would lose after this season. Hence, we end up needing to fill 100 spots from the portal.

We've had a very different view on PM, the portal, NIL etc the last couple years. You've said quite a few things recently that I tend to agree with....I think we generally represent kind of opposite ends of the spectrum on some things and really believe things are a little more in the middle somewhere. There is a happy medium somewhere and I think a true reality exists in the middle (shaded a little one way or the other).

Hopefully we both see a little more of what we both want in the future. (More success)

I will go on record stating that I don’t believe we will get enough talent in the portal to make the tourney next season. However, while we will not be able to get any elite 5 man with our pathetic NIL, there are serviceable options that could work well. There is a lot of talent in the portal but I don’t think this staff and our NIL will get it done.

It’s win or get fired. If that’s what they’re doing, they will all be fired. I don’t think that’s what they’re doing.

If Moser doesn't have the funds to buy the players he needs to compete, can/will Joe C. hold that against him and fire him?
And if Moser is fired for losing with poor talent because of a lack of NIL, what coach would even consider coming into that situation?

Current Roster
Guards

Kaden Cooper - Sophomore

Wings
Jalon Moore - Senior
Kuol Atak - Freshman

Bigs
Yaya Keita - Senior

Guards

Wings

Bigs

Idk why yaya isnt out the door.. take a swing with ALL schollies. If they arent going to be a fighter for playing time then dont sign/retain them.

Or get fired and waste another of all of our years in earth

If Moser doesn't have the funds to buy the players he needs to compete, can/will Joe C. hold that against him and fire him?
And if Moser is fired for losing with poor talent because of a lack of NIL, what coach would even consider coming into that situation?
NIL is not the reason we have missed the tourney every year under moser. It is the reason there’s a glass ceiling on the program but the bare minimum should be making the tourney and that failure is 100% on Moser. Yes, he will be fired if we miss the tourney again.

Back