MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

He signed a fairly high profile 5 who had a history of success in a power conference. Was lack of NIL the reason Hugley was out of shape and a poor fit for the tempo Moser claimed he wanted to play? And was our five man the reason Moser’s returning guards sucked? Because they are the main reason we missed the tournament.

I think it’s fair to say that the injuries hurt Hugley’s market value. He was not our first choice.
The NIL excuse was used by OSU Boynton for his lack of coaching and bad recruiting. Moser is doing the same.

Hughley and Groves have been the players he thought would be go to guys and theiy were clearly not good enough.

So many NIL myths out there about offers for players it’s comical. 750k for Garrison, a guy who had to be benched his last game because he couldn’t defend an off the bench journeyman post player from UCF is just ridiculous to even repeat.

I’ve heard TCU, SMU, and Tech paying all these big amounts of money. Why are they’re players transferring?

Coaches, administrators, reporters, recruitniks, agents, NIL organizations are stating that NIL is most important factor in every recruitment and amounts keep increasing.

On the other hand, some random, crudely named poster on a free message board Seymore cox is stating nil is much less than what those others are alleging.

Hmm..who to believe? Who to believe…

The schedule was for sure tougher without hugley but not by a whole lot.
Avg KP with JH4 53. Without JH4 35.

With JH4
AVG KP: 53
Key Wins vs #8 (home), #39 (away), #70 (away), #18 (home)

WITHOUT JH4
AVG KP: 35
Key Wins vs #39 (home)

He was a good player, just limited due to his stamina.
I'm not sure if he would have added any wins but it isn't crazy to think he might have.
Houston is the obvious close game that he could have made a difference but Sam actually played great that game so who knows.

My main point was that someone said we couldn't win with JH4 in the big 12.
That is demonstratably false because the only data we have shows us with a winning league record with JH4

He signed a fairly high profile 5 who had a history of success in a power conference. Was lack of NIL the reason Hugley was out of shape and a poor fit for the tempo Moser claimed he wanted to play? And was our five man the reason Moser’s returning guards sucked? Because they are the main reason we missed the tournament.

He signed a 5 that he could afford. He signed guards he could afford.
Do you think Hugley was his first choice?

He signed a 5 that he could afford. He signed guards he could afford.
Do you think Hugley was his first choice?
OU fans after last year's Portal - "Porter is doing things in HS recruiting that we haven't done in decades, and this Portal class is great. JM has an NBA game, as does Uzan. Hugely was great when healthy in Pittsburgh. Blah, blah, blah....."

OU fans after another disappointing season - "Do you really think Porter wanted those players? Yuck. Can't win with guys like that. Nobody could. FIRE JOE C!!!!!"

So annoying.

Edit: When your NIL game isn't great, you can't need to replace nearly 50% of your roster every year. JM was a top 10 Portal guy. Moore and Soares played better than any of us could have expected. Moser just isn't good at building a team and getting them to play good, consistent basketball. That likely isn't a recruiting issue, unless the point you are making is that Moser needs elite talent to build a good team.

Last edited:
You know what is more annoying? Constant gross hyperbolic exaggerations by 2-3 posters
I didn't exaggerate anything. That's exactly how it was from then to now.

And I already see the same things happening this year with some of the names we're after. Watch.....we'll end up with a mediocre Portal haul, and some around here are going to paint it as the creme de la creme of what OU could have expected, and predict great things for next year. Then next year's team will be mid at best. Then OU fans will say we didn't have the players. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

OU fans after last year's Portal - "Porter is doing things in HS recruiting that we haven't done in decades, and this Portal class is great. JM has an NBA game, as does Uzan. Hugely was great when healthy in Pittsburgh. Blah, blah, blah....."

OU fans after another disappointing season - "Do you really think Porter wanted those players? Yuck. Can't win with guys like that. Nobody could. FIRE JOE C!!!!!"

So annoying.

Edit: When your NIL game isn't great, you can't need to replace nearly 50% of your roster every year. JM was a top 10 Portal guy. Moore and Soares played better than any of us could have expected. Moser just isn't good at building a team and getting them to play good, consistent basketball. That likely isn't a recruiting issue, unless the point you are making is that Moser needs elite talent to build a good team.

Do you think Porter preferred Godwin as the starting center?

It was said Uzan and McCollum did not get along. Do you have any understanding of how chemistry issues affect results?
How good they are doesn't really matter at that point.

Dead period ends at noon ET (or 11 am CT).

IDK about this..
I think at times were better with soares and moore as our 4-5.

Of course I want another big.

Find another moore and soares and roll. .

It was said Uzan and McCollum did not get along. Do you have any understanding of how chemistry issues affect results?
Those are coaching issues. Understand who you are recruiting. Understand if you are the right coach to motivate them. To put them in a position to succeed. To get the most out of them.

Can't have it both ways. Can't say Moser needs super-talented kids, then when he gets a couple of them that maybe have attitude/effort issues, complain about it. At OU we are going to HAVE to have a coach that can coach kids up. That can take a top 25-40 roster (talent on paper) and coach it up. Get it to gel. Get the most out of the talent we have. Moser isn't doing that. I don't think Moser can do that. And I'm starting to think Moser knows that he can't do that. Coaches that can do that don't have his 20 year coaching resume. They don't have that many stinkers. They aren't that mid in conference games across multiple stops. So he keeps shooting for the starts and bringing in kids like Hugely who have some talent, but not much else. Then OU fans cry when that doesn't work out.

IDK about this..
I think at times were better with soares and moore as our 4-5.

Of course I want another big.

Find another moore and soares and roll. .
I don't get what you are saying?

My point was, I think both Moore and Soares exceeded any realistic expectations OU fans had for them. I wasn't high on Moore at all. They were probably our two best players. If not, two of the top three. Not sure we can expect to get similar players every year. But JM, the guy that everybody thought would be good, really didn't live up to the hype.

I think it’s fair to say that the injuries hurt Hugley’s market value. He was not our first choice.

Coaches, administrators, reporters, recruitniks, agents, NIL organizations are stating that NIL is most important factor in every recruitment and amounts keep increasing.

On the other hand, some random, crudely named poster on a free message board Seymore cox is stating nil is much less than what those others are alleging.

Hmm..who to believe? Who to believe…
Not every administrator says that. I’m guessing most of you who claim to know so much about NIL didn’t listen to the podcast I linked a couple weeks ago where an actual AD talked about it in great detail. One of his main points, which he has also made in other interviews, is that NIL is most important when it comes to retention, not initial recruitment. I don’t think we have lost many, if any, players to big dollar offers. We lose guys who haven’t improved, or need to transfer down to get playing time.

As for recruiting big names, let’s pretend NIL doesn’t exist. When you see us connected to players who also have offers from high level teams that are sure bets to make the tournament, do you really think those guys would decide to come play for a coach/program that hasn’t made the tourney in three years? We almost never got those guys even when we were winning under previous coaches. But you guys continue to act as if NIL is THE reason we can’t get blue chip players.

Perhaps don’t bring in a ball dominant guard who views himself as future NBA stud if you already have a PG on the roster who also wants the ball in his hands a ton if chemistry is a concern. I also find the entire Los/JM chemistry theme interesting. I didn’t see a single post from anyone all season about that. Perhaps I missed one, but it simply wasn’t a thing all season. Now, some of our so-called insiders act as if their relationship was broken and a big reason things fell apart. That info would seem much more credible if shared during the season rather than as an excuse to take blame off Moser after the season.

Those are coaching issues. Understand who you are recruiting. Understand if you are the right coach to motivate them. To put them in a position to succeed. To get the most out of them.

Can't have it both ways. Can't say Moser needs super-talented kids, then when he gets a couple of them that maybe have attitude/effort issues, complain about it. At OU we are going to HAVE to have a coach that can coach kids up. That can take a top 25-40 roster (talent on paper) and coach it up. Get it to gel. Get the most out of the talent we have. Moser isn't doing that. I don't think Moser can do that. And I'm starting to think Moser knows that he can't do that. Coaches that can do that don't have his 20 year coaching resume. They don't have that many stinkers. They aren't that mid in conference games across multiple stops. So he keeps shooting for the starts and bringing in kids like Hugely who have some talent, but not much else. Then OU fans cry when that doesn't work out.

Did Kruger not understand who he was recruiting when he brought in TY?
Do you remember the chemistry issues that season and the end results?

PG Julian Larry, Indiana State​

INTEL: Julian Larry started 108 games over his four seasons at Indiana State. The 6-foot-3 lead guard who is originally from Frisco, Texas earned first-team MVC All-Defense for the second consecutive season this year. He finished second in the league with 188 assists and he led the MVC in steals with 59. I am told Larry will take his first visit this weekend, and Texas will get the visit. One source told me that the visit is worth monitoring. Larry, who shot 46.2 percent from three on the season, has also heard from programs like Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and others. His Indiana State head coach Josh Shertz was recently named the head coach at Saint Louis. I am told that he will go through the recruiting process, so continue to see where he sets visits.

PF Ezra Ausar, East Carolina​

INTEL: Ezra Ausar averaged 11.4 points and 4.7 rebounds this season after earning AAC All-Freshman honors the year prior. The 6-foot-9, 240-pound Ausar has been a popular name since entering the Transfer Portal. The sophomore forward has already set his first official visit, which will be with Georgia Tech. Ausar played his senior high school season with Charlotte (NC) Liberty Heights Academy, but he is originally from the Atlanta, Georgia area. Georgetown, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Utah, and Ole Miss are among the other schools that have reached out to the former On3 four-star prospect.

Did Kruger not understand who he was recruiting when he brought in TY?
Do you remember the chemistry issues that season and the end results?
It was a coaching issue. All Moser's fault. He recruited the problem and didn't develop them. PM should have benched Trae if there was a problem.

Oh, wait. I guess sometimes "it's Moser's fault" doesn't apply.

PG Julian Larry, Indiana State​

INTEL: Julian Larry started 108 games over his four seasons at Indiana State. The 6-foot-3 lead guard who is originally from Frisco, Texas earned first-team MVC All-Defense for the second consecutive season this year. He finished second in the league with 188 assists and he led the MVC in steals with 59. I am told Larry will take his first visit this weekend, and Texas will get the visit. One source told me that the visit is worth monitoring. Larry, who shot 46.2 percent from three on the season, has also heard from programs like Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and others. His Indiana State head coach Josh Shertz was recently named the head coach at Saint Louis. I am told that he will go through the recruiting process, so continue to see where he sets visits.

PF Ezra Ausar, East Carolina​

INTEL: Ezra Ausar averaged 11.4 points and 4.7 rebounds this season after earning AAC All-Freshman honors the year prior. The 6-foot-9, 240-pound Ausar has been a popular name since entering the Transfer Portal. The sophomore forward has already set his first official visit, which will be with Georgia Tech. Ausar played his senior high school season with Charlotte (NC) Liberty Heights Academy, but he is originally from the Atlanta, Georgia area. Georgetown, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Utah, and Ole Miss are among the other schools that have reached out to the former On3 four-star prospect.
Would love to get Larry, but not feeling great about him. If we grabbed Ezra, are we bumping Moore to the 3? Or is he coming on as a bench guy? Would love to start getting some news about actual confirmed visits from portal targets (sans Pedulla).

Back