MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

NIL is not the reason we have missed the tourney every year under moser. It is the reason there’s a glass ceiling on the program but the bare minimum should be making the tourney and that failure is 100% on Moser. Yes, he will be fired if we miss the tourney again.
NIL/lack of talent is a major reason we didn't make the tournament. Godwin was our starting center because Moser didn't have the funds to buy a better player. Godwin was the least talented starting center in the Big 12.

NIL/lack of talent is a major reason we didn't make the tournament. Godwin was our starting center because Moser didn't have the funds to buy a better player. Godwin was the least talented starting center in the Big 12.
He signed a fairly high profile 5 who had a history of success in a power conference. Was lack of NIL the reason Hugley was out of shape and a poor fit for the tempo Moser claimed he wanted to play? And was our five man the reason Moser’s returning guards sucked? Because they are the main reason we missed the tournament.

Evan Miya is becoming the second best analytics site for college basketball after KenPom. There's no subjectivity, it's just purely analyzing the numbers. People are only killing it because it doesn't align with their preconceived notions of a given player.

Common sense would tell anyone that list was bad.

Last edited:
Common sense would tell anyone that lost was bad.
The NIL excuse was used by OSU Boynton for his lack of coaching and bad recruiting. Moser is doing the same.

Hughley and Groves have been the players he thought would be go to guys and theiy were clearly not good enough.

So many NIL myths out there about offers for players it’s comical. 750k for Garrison, a guy who had to be benched his last game because he couldn’t defend an off the bench journeyman post player from UCF is just ridiculous to even repeat.

I’ve heard TCU, SMU, and Tech paying all these big amounts of money. Why are they’re players transferring?

But if you don’t pay..:. You don’t get players.

It’ll eventually come back to earth. Rich people aren’t rich bc they are dumb.

Paying money and getting nothing will eventually end
How much does OU have to pay Pedulla? Is he going to give OU a discount? What’s Garrison’s going rate.

He signed a fairly high profile 5 who had a history of success in a power conference. Was lack of NIL the reason Hugley was out of shape and a poor fit for the tempo Moser claimed he wanted to play? And was our five man the reason Moser’s returning guards sucked? Because they are the main reason we missed the tournament.

You were high on Hugley (while ruthlessly trashing Soares and Moore all offseason), but that doesn't make him a highly sought after guy or one that commanded a large NIL deal. He put up some empty stats on a team that couldn't win any games and his team turned things around after shutting him down. I'm willing to bet he's not getting recruited by any blue bloods in the transfer portal (much like last year).

Garrison offered 600k. He really just wants to be a poke.

I assume creighton goes a different direction.

Pedulla likely giving a discount but idk for sure. His father is really sick.
I still think it’s odd there’s been nothing said about Garrison no longer gonna be in the portal. Wonder if he’s just trying to drive that OSU price up.

Well....we were 6-5 with him in conference play and 2-6 without him 🤷‍♂️
Wow, you mean we played better against the easier part of our conference schedule? Take a look at how we did against the Big 12 tourney teams when he was in the lineup. I’ll take my answer off the air.

I still think it’s odd there’s been nothing said about Garrison no longer gonna be in the portal. Wonder if he’s just trying to drive that OSU price up.
Probably the case, @CoachTalk keeps echoing those thoughts throughout the portal process.

A few things concerning to me:

-Glaring need at the 5, only contacted 1 stud (8 total) via social media channels. Either we are happy with Godwin/Luke/Yaya or we have Garrison in the bag. I don't feel good about either of those options, considering the bag doesn't look to be anywhere close to being in the bag. And barring some huge leap in development, which we haven't seen at the 5 yet, I don't trust the staff in putting Yaya/Luke forward as a share minutes big behind Godwin. Godwin should be the share-ee of minutes...not starter.

-The portal window went from 60 days to 45 days. So I know we have had some comments about "Well, these guys signed in Mid-April or May" we are getting pretty close to not having that luxury anymore. Yes, I know it is ENTERING the portal and not sign by, but still...that is a concern. IMO, the portal should be frontloaded now. Not sure how many more bodies we can wait to enter, unless...

-I am hoping there is a big we are waiting on entering? Such a huge gamble though if this scenario is the case.

-Hugley IV was better than people give him credit for, but he was not a fit for our offense and "faster-paced" style. He is a back to the basket big and I wished he was used more as such. That being said, I am concerned about our coaching staff's ability to evaluate big men. It seems pretty straightforward to me. I honestly think if you gave the keys of a GM spot to @StoopsBros and myself, we could put together a pretty damn good roster. I am sure there is more to be concerned with in the NIL space, but there are solid G5 players there that can be helpful. Sold bigs and floor spaces that exist that we are not even sniffing. I just, am getting close to either having to trust or doubt. It is getting to that point in the portal, for me anyway.

Long-winded rant over.

Last edited:
Wow, you mean we played better against the easier part of our conference schedule? Take a look at how we did against the Big 12 tourney teams when he was in the lineup. I’ll take my answer off the air.
You are not wrong, but also...would he have helped? Even if to make the losses closer, would he have helped?

1712840149090.png

Remember with no Hugley IV it was Luke or smallball.

Back