MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Sounds like Texas is going to have two Indiana State players on campus this weekend - Julian Larry & Robbie Avila - per Gerry Hamilton (OnTexas)

And outside that UCF game, especially those games you mentioned, did they not have a better team with more talent? So of our other 11 losses, who did we have more talent and we were the better team?

Usually, it would be considered the coach's fault if a team consistently loses games they are supposed to win, against teams they have the talent edge. But that wasn't the case.

I agree. We should have made the tournament. And Moser bears some of the blame for not overcoming issues, or "coaching up". Win one of those games you mentioned and we are probably in the NCAA. But it was Moser's fault we shot 15-24 against TTU, or Los missed a layup with 15 seconds? Or Darthard or Moore didn't pickup or dive on a loose ball against Houston? Sure, Moser needs to coach them up, but the players have to make the plays.

Of course, I'm sure there will be replies on how that was Moser's fault for not getting better players or benching those who can't get it done.

The point is, OU's issues aren't just isolated to coaching. They aren't just isolated to NIL. Get a better coach, Scott Drew for example, and without the support of the admin, donors, and NIL, he can't get the talent needed to coach up. Get into the tourney but can't get out of the first weekend. On the other hand, get more NIL and have a terrible coach and we are in the same place- talented enough to win games, but not a well-coached team and can't get out of the first weekend. So, yes, NIL is a HUGE factor.

That's what some of us have been yelling from the rooftops. It's. Not. Just. Moser.

Unless your goal is just getting into the tournament, which we were one game away from two of the last three years, changing a coach won't solve the problem of not competing better in the portal, not getting a Sweet 16 type roster, not getting admin behind the program, an arena, more donor and fan engagement etc. And if you don't solve all those problems collectively, a better coach won't come or he won't stay. A really good coach will demand all of those, or be gone.

That is the sad dilemma OU basketball is in right now. To be okay/good or be great. And, so far, it appears the admin has made their choice.

Good post. OU's NET/KP was: 46/46

Wins against teams ranked higher in NET/KP than us: ISU (6/8), Cinci (37/39), @ Cinci (37/39), BYU (12/18)

Losses against teams ranked lower in NET/KP than us: UCF (61/66)

So 4 wins against teams ranked higher than us. 1 loss against teams ranked lower than us

"Roster stability" is a pipe dream in 2024
Depends on how you define "roster stability". If you define it as retaining 80%+ of your entire roster YoY then you are probably correct. If you define it as keeping 80%+ of your starters/core that aren't graduating or going pro, then I don't think it should be as big of a pipe dream. For stability, you really just need to keep your core together. Losing starters and guys thought to be core pieces is what is hurting us.

Idk if it matters anymore tho.. Theyre prolly just as likely to enter the portal every year as anyone else. Honestly, i kind of think the "last chance" SR teams may be the way to go for a program like OU that is in dire straits..

There are some kids that are just dying to play on power D1 teams. To try to make the tourney. Not necessarily looking for huge paydays, but a chance to go off and get endorsements and/or throw a hail mary up to going pro or better offers in Europe. I think my bias would be for those SRs that have 1 last chance

We apparently are trying to buy back a couple of players who left the state to play elsewhere.
Maybe a better strategy would be to keep these players home from the beginning and they'd likely stick around 4 years and be able to help the team.
Sort of like what BV is doing.

So people didn't enter last season saying Los could be drafted after the season? Talking about how much faster and more athletic we would play? Expecting Hugley to start? Pumped to see Cooper and projecting him as a rotation guy? And were people not over the moon after seeing JM for a few weeks?

- He had a dissapointing season, but the talent is there, and I still stand by Los becoming a 2nd round pick. I don't think even you were negative about Los after his freshman season
- We were faster and more athletic. We may not have played faster, but the athleticism upgrade we saw from portal highlights wer real.
- You were Hugley's biggest hype man.
- We absolutely had higher expectations for Cooper. That one is real.
- JM looked amazing the first few weeks of the season, as he did in nonconference at Siena (against better competition). The previous year his body didn't hold up -- happened again. It had been attributed to injury last year.

Again, there will always be a few positive posts about a few players. If not, this message board would be a miserable place, which is seemingly your mission. Other than Cooper, there weren't many major misses. Like I said previously, the projected records on here were dead-on in the previous season. The expectations for the team were not off.

And it's funny you bring up Soares and Moore. I have posted about 20 times that I was wrong about them. I don't pretend like I didn't get that wrong or try to spin my previous posts. I was off by a million miles on them. They were great.

Everybody that thought Cooper would be a key player this year has admitted to being wrong about that. This hasn't stopped you from bringing it up at least once a week. I'd say everybody has admitted to Norweather not being a star, but nobody actually said that. There was discussion that he was young and we hadn't seen enough to say he wouldn't develop. Some people on here wanted to give him a chance and I think that's a reasonable default for a player you're supposed to be supporting.

The ignore function has tremendously improved my viewing experience on this forum the last week. Not being able to see the posts, even when quoted by other posters, has been a pleasant surprise as well.

I recommend it for the vast majority of you to ignore the usual 2-3 suspects.

This is big news! It was an underwhelming feature on the other board, as you could still see the quoted posts. This is a real game-changer. I've got three names to try this out on today.

You get Pedulla add dayton. Find the best scoring combo guard you can find.

I think Itll be hard to keep dayton off the floor.
I like Pedulla, hopefully OU gets him. I think Dayton could play some, just don't see it as a ball handling situation. I think he'll need a year to get used to P5 guards quickness, similar to Keiton Page.

I like Pedulla, hopefully OU gets him. I think Dayton could play some, just don't see it as a ball handling situation. I think he'll need a year to get used to P5 guards quickness, similar to Keiton Page.
Not sure why but Page is who I envision when I think of Dayton.
Hopefully he is our version of Page

I actually agree with you here. The Forsythe hype is total out of control. I'd love to be wrong, but he gives me some Bijan vibes.
I don't think they're very similar other than being from small school Oklahoma. Bijan was a better ball handler & passer (best HS passer I've ever seen in Oklahoma), also was quicker. Bijan also was lazy, entitled, and from everything that's came out a very poor student. Forsythe is a better well rounded player. He's stronger, much better shooter, better defender. Biggest difference between the two is Forsythe works harder and is much more coachable.

Not sure why but Page is who I envision when I think of Dayton.
Hopefully he is our version of Page
Pretty similar in some ways. Both good passers and ball handlers, just not at the level of P5 to be the primary ball handler. Page is a better shooter, but Dayton is way bigger and more athletic.

And outside that UCF game, especially those games you mentioned, did they not have a better team with more talent? So of our other 11 losses, who did we have more talent and we were the better team?

Usually, it would be considered the coach's fault if a team consistently loses games they are supposed to win, against teams they have the talent edge. But that wasn't the case.

I agree. We should have made the tournament. And Moser bears some of the blame for not overcoming issues, or "coaching up". Win one of those games you mentioned and we are probably in the NCAA. But it was Moser's fault we shot 15-24 against TTU, or Los missed a layup with 15 seconds? Or Darthard or Moore didn't pickup or dive on a loose ball against Houston? Sure, Moser needs to coach them up, but the players have to make the plays.

Of course, I'm sure there will be replies on how that was Moser's fault for not getting better players or benching those who can't get it done.

The point is, OU's issues aren't just isolated to coaching. They aren't just isolated to NIL. Get a better coach, Scott Drew for example, and without the support of the admin, donors, and NIL, he can't get the talent needed to coach up. Get into the tourney but can't get out of the first weekend. On the other hand, get more NIL and have a terrible coach and we are in the same place- talented enough to win games, but not a well-coached team and can't get out of the first weekend. So, yes, NIL is a HUGE factor.

That's what some of us have been yelling from the rooftops. It's. Not. Just. Moser.

Unless your goal is just getting into the tournament, which we were one game away from two of the last three years, changing a coach won't solve the problem of not competing better in the portal, not getting a Sweet 16 type roster, not getting admin behind the program, an arena, more donor and fan engagement etc. And if you don't solve all those problems collectively, a better coach won't come or he won't stay. A really good coach will demand all of those, or be gone.

That is the sad dilemma OU basketball is in right now. To be okay/good or be great. And, so far, it appears the admin has made their choice.
Why is every argument about "NIL" comparing us to top 15 schools? That isn't what those of us complaining our asking for. I get it, we don't have the resources in place to "buy" a top 15 roster. That isn't what I'm complaining about. What I'm complaining about is that I feel like we have the resources, and heck, even the talent on campus, to be a top 30ish team. And yet, per Ken Pom, we've finished top 30 by his rankings exactly ONE time, and oddly enough, that was his first season with OU. Only downhill since then.

Somebody should figure out where our "roster talent" ranks using the latest recruiting rankings (ie, using transfer ratings for transfers). No way OU is outside the top 30-35. It's hard because transfers don't have numeric rankings, only star ratings, so that is probably what has to be used. I thought 247 had a page that ranked rosters by recruiting rankings, but I can't find it.

So people didn't enter last season saying Los could be drafted after the season? Talking about how much faster and more athletic we would play? Expecting Hugley to start? Pumped to see Cooper and projecting him as a rotation guy? And were people not over the moon after seeing JM for a few weeks?

You can keep bitching about me all you want. And it's funny you bring up Soares and Moore. I have posted about 20 times that I was wrong about them. I don't pretend like I didn't get that wrong or try to spin my previous posts. I was off by a million miles on them. They were great. The fact they gave us so much more than expected makes it even more frustrating that the rest of the team was so bad. If we get competent play from any of the Los, Oweh, and JM trio during the final two months of the season, we make the field easily.

And since you like to pretend that I stopped posting because we were winning, let there be no confusion -- my prediction is that we won't make the tourney next year, no matter how excited people get after reading Lusk and Bob P tweet that Luke made 90 threes in a closed scrimmage and that Forsythe is going to surprise people.

I could be wrong.....I don't want to go back and read a 100 page thread but I think the "hype" around Uzan and NBA was coming from scouts/media types.....not our fans. I read people talking about him being our best player returning and a building block, which we're reasonable expectations....but he underperformed big time.

I think you're unreasonably pessimistic about Forsythe with the name calling, etc because you are making way more of a deal calling him Stephon, etc which I don't recall anyone implying...I've just read people say that he will surprise some people and be better than they expect.

You have a right to your opinion. I won't argue that.

I think the "Moser's a terrible coach" crowd using a last second shot loss to the #1 team in the country at the time is pretty comical. You want to crucify him for not making the tournament but give him zero credit for winning 20 games,beating ranked teams like ISU and BYU, and nearly upsetting UH. I think everyone wants their cake and wants to eat it too on their own side of the discussion without agreeing its not as bad or as good as it may seem.

We can get better for sure...but it could definitely be worse.

"Roster stability" is a pipe dream in 2024
Houston is retaining darn near their entire roster. I think at this point all that they are losing are Shead and Dunn. Shead is NBA bound. Dunn didn't quite fit in.

I know. I know. Houston has better NIL than we do. That is somewhat of a factor, but they aren't paying a bunch to all of those quality bench players they are bringing back. They aren't paying a ton to the freshmen and redshirt freshmen that are coming knowing there is a stacked roster in front of them. That is trust (in the coach and program). That is culture. That is something OU needs to build. Soon.

Why is every argument about "NIL" comparing us to top 15 schools? That isn't what those of us complaining our asking for. I get it, we don't have the resources in place to "buy" a top 15 roster. That isn't what I'm complaining about. What I'm complaining about is that I feel like we have the resources, and heck, even the talent on campus, to be a top 30ish team. And yet, per Ken Pom, we've finished top 30 by his rankings exactly ONE time, and oddly enough, that was his first season with OU. Only downhill since then.

Houston is retaining darn near their entire roster. I think at this point all that they are losing are Shead and Dunn. Shead is NBA bound. Dunn didn't quite fit in.

I know. I know. Houston has better NIL than we do.

Instant contradiction.

Back