MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Honestly, they are worth it. The amount of money athletics brings in for universities is ridiculous. The athletes deserve their fair share.

Everyone complains that ADs and universities are “losing money” but that’s because they’re poorly run and full of corruption and waste. College sports is a multi billion dollar business built on the backs of the players. They deserve to get paid. If the schools would eliminate the waste and corruption, perhaps their margins would be more acceptable. The talent deserves to get paid.
The facilities race has played a huge rule in college athletics and I've been saying for years that it was seriously out of control, but who do those improved facilities benefit? The athletes, to a large part. Coaches salaries have grown too big, in my view, but that's the only legit complaint the athletes have, in my opinion. They get a free education (ask any recent college--or their parents--about how much that saves them), exceptional training and coaching, excellent health care, good food and nutritional guidance and much more--these benefits and others are invaluable to someone who has hopes of being a professional athlete.

Again, the only people getting rich on the athletes' backs that I can see (someone will correct me if I'm missing something) is the coaches and high-level admins. Collegiate sports were every bit as enjoyable in the 1970s as they are today (the only major improvement I can point to is the television coverage). What's changed is the amount of money spent on the out-of-control facilities race, the things I described above that benefit the athletes directly. There's no reason a locker room has to be nicer than the homes most people live in, The only reason they are is the facilities race. The pressure to keep up with the Joneses.

If I had my way, we'd have minor leagues in football and basketball, unrelated to any college. The athletes who don't care about an education, and there are some, of course, could go play there for dough. The ones who want the college experience and a good education would sign contracts agreeing to remain amateurs in terms of pay-to-play. They'd get their scholarships and they could make money from t-shirts and autographs and the like. But pay-to-play would be stopped cold and those who chose to play in those minor leagues would be ineligible to play college ball. And there would be caps on the amount of money each school could spend on facilities--there would be parity in that regard. I'm not saying it will happen. I'm not saying it could happen. But I'd take it without hesitation over the current situation.

I'm sure I'll come in for some mocking for the above, but I don't care. I'm sick to death of the money talk--not just NIL, but facilities and how much the SEC brings in compared to the other conferences and how much coaches make. All of it. I wish all OU athletes well in their post-collegiate careers--sports or otherwise. Same goes for our current athletes. But I don't care a bit to know how much they're making. I only want to watch them play. My favorite OU podcast--the Oklahoma Breakdown--spends so much time talking about how much this athlete is making or that coach signed for--pro and college--and I hate it. I can assure you that we didn't talk money this much back in the 1970s and '80s and it was more fun then. And lest anyone dismiss me as a nostalgic old fool, I'm actually not nostalgic. I don't look back at any of the decades I've lived through as being better than today--better in some ways, sure, but worse in others. I live very much in the present but the present in college football and basketball stinks on ice and it's getting worse, not better.

Now, you kids get off my lawn!

And still funded by revenue sports. Once ncaa is removed from the equation then non-revenue will die off.
I’d love to wager on this. I am very confident that somehow, someway, they won’t be going away any time soon.

I vaguely remember him visiting OU.

Probably Kansas....or some big program like that nudged him.

He was all but guaranteed to come to OU before Lon retired as I recall it. After Lon left, we fell off a bit for him. He's from the DFW I believe, and would be a major help for us. Would love to bring him in and take a shot

The ignore function has tremendously improved my viewing experience on this forum the last week. Not being able to see the posts, even when quoted by other posters, has been a pleasant surprise as well.

I recommend it for the vast majority of you to ignore the usual 2-3 suspects.

I guess I read this wrong. I can still see the ignored posters when quoted. Their posts are blocked, but I still see that they posted and the responses to them. I was hoping to not even notice their existence.

When “college” football becomes a pro league, why would they keep sharing their revenues with non-revenue college sports?

We will still fund the softball team to help recruitment of guys like Billy Bowman.

What's crazy about "NIL" is that it really doesn't have anything to do with Name/Image/Likeness. It's just a way for donors to legally pay players with no regulation whatsoever. This is not sustainable.

Edited to add: This is obviously not true for very marketable athletes like Livvy Dunne. I think we had this conversation a few weeks ago, but it still blows my mind.

Back