MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

If true, that would show a little about what the new staff thinks of Garrison. If they thought he was the goods, it's a no brainer to offer enough to keep him in stillwater.

And before anybody bashes my opinion on Garrison as a player, it's changed a bit in the last 24 hours. I still don't think he's a program changer, still don't think he moves the needle a lot, but he probably moves it a bit more than I thought he would a few weeks ago. I've never been against bringing him to Norman, I've just questioned his true upside, and if it's worth making him an NIL priority when we need so much help at guard. I still have that concern.

Your opinion of Garrison is fair enough. I would counter that he is a step up from Godwin and Hughley athletically.....and size-wisw, which we need. I think him + Godwin is >>>>>>>>> than Godwin + Hughley

Your opinion of Garrison is fair enough. I would counter that he is a step up from Godwin and Hughley athletically.....and size-wisw, which we need. I think him + Godwin is >>>>>>>>> than Godwin + Hughley
Garrison probably won’t give us a ton offensively, but his strength on that end of the floor is as a PnR rim runner which fits what Moser likes to do offensively. His major impact, though, will be defensively where he’ll give Moser something he’s never had here at OU - a legit rim protector

Garrison probably won’t give us a ton offensively, but his strength on that end of the floor is as a PnR rim runner which fits what Moser likes to do offensively. His major impact, though, will be defensively where he’ll give Moser something he’s never had here at OU - a legit rim protector
This I agree with. I never looked at him as an offensive need....he can probably give us 10 ppg next year....it absolutely helps on defense.

Portal recruiting this year will be way different than last year for every team. Last year the big bad NCAA came out and said they were going to be “tough” on two time transfers eligibility status. Well that never happened, and that hurt schools like OSU and OU who never recruited some guys because they were fearful of having them sit out a year.

Funny how a few were critical of PM and staff not getting anyone from the portal yet. Now that we are possibly on the verge of getting two players who are some of the highest-ranked at their positions, the same posters reappear and say the highly ranked portal options won't help the team much.

A handful of posters truly are unhappy about everything, can't be optimistic if their life was at stake, and will try to say everything sucks until PM is fired.

And then probably go through the same thing with the next coach. LOL.

As for me, the thought of getting one of the top big men available, a P6 PG, and an athletic wing with 3 years left- all from OK- would be a major reason to be anxiously excited.

I’m not so sure Pedulla would be a step down. Depends on who you’re comparing him to. Is he a step down from McCollum? I’d argue he’s a step up. Overton would likely be a small step down from Uzan. Cooper is more than capable of filling the defensive void left by Oweh (who wasn’t that effective in year 2). Still need to find more wings capable of guarding the ball, I agree with you there. But I see the defense as having the potential for a lot higher upside if we at least land the trio of Garrison, Pedulla, and Overton
Advanced statistics for players on defense are admittedly inferior to offense according to several articles I've read, especially the advanced stats that are free and available to the public.

That being said, here's what I found on Pedulla, McCollum, Oweh, and Uzan using sports reference and Evan Miya listing their career average in each category. Looks like it goes Oweh, Uzan, Pedulla, and McCollum.

** Note that for DRTG lower is better and all others higher is better. And Uzan and Oweh have played two years to three for Pedulla and McCollum.

Oweh -- DRTG 97.4, DWS 1.2, DBPM 4.1, Evan DBPR 2.35
Uzan -- DRTG 103.7, DWS 1.3, DBPM 2.2, Evan DBPR 0.87
Pedulla -- DRTG 105.4, DWS 1.1, DBPM 1.0, Evan DBPR 0.93
McCollum -- DRTG 105.5, DWS .9, DBPM -0.5, Evan DBPR -0.68

Pedulla appears to be better than McCollum. It remains to be seen how Cooper rates next year and whoever else is brought in has rated defensively through their careers.

Funny how a few were critical of PM and staff not getting anyone from the portal yet. Now that we are possibly on the verge of getting two players who are some of the highest-ranked at their positions, the same posters reappear and say the highly ranked portal options won't help the team much.

A handful of posters truly are unhappy about everything, can't be optimistic if their life was at stake, and will try to say everything sucks until PM is fired.

And then probably go through the same thing with the next coach. LOL.

As for me, the thought of getting one of the top big men available, a P6 PG, and an athletic wing with 3 years left- all from OK- would be a major reason to be anxiously excited.
Who are the “handful of players” who have commented on the two players you reference? I’m sure I’m one you are referring to, but I haven’t said a word about either guy since the rumors started yesterday.

But for those who have, I don’t think there is anything inconsistent with wondering whether they are likely to be true difference makers. And that’s what we clearly need … not just decency players, but true impact players who will take us from being a mediocre to poor team to being a team that can actually hold its own against top competition.

Who are the “handful of players” who have commented on the two players you reference? I’m sure I’m one you are referring to, but I haven’t said a word about either guy since the rumors started yesterday.

But for those who have, I don’t think there is anything inconsistent with wondering whether they are likely to be true difference makers. And that’s what we clearly need … not just decency players, but true impact players who will take us from being a mediocre to poor team to being a team that can actually hold its own against top competition.

Legit question:

What do you define as a difference maker? And how many of those guys are in the portal?

There are probably a handful.....but that number is likely very small in every way except in the NIL department. We'd have to throw huge bucks at the top 4-5 guys.

Do Garrison and Pedulla have any other visits lined up?
I haven't seen anything to suggest Pedulla is taking another visit (previously visited Creighton).

As of right now, there is some buzz that Garrison is expected at Texas next weekend. Not official, yet. Of course, we're all hoping he shuts it down post-OU visit.

I haven't seen anything to suggest Pedulla is taking another visit (previously visited Creighton).

As of right now, there is some buzz that Garrison is expected at Texas next weekend. Not official, yet. Of course, we're all hoping he shuts it down post-OU visit.
I feel like we should all be rooting for Texas to haul in the Indiana state guys they have on campus.

He makes it easy.

I've never posted on a message board with more posters that want to "have the scoop" more than this one. It's ridiculous.

If Coach was being authentic, he'd have said something like "hey, I'm hearing that things may have changed on the Garrison front." That isn't what he did though, and it's why I have little respect for him.
Dude, you need medicated

In all sports recruits/transfers will soon be signeding contracts instead of LOI. Then the school can sue the athlete if he bails.

Legit question:

What do you define as a difference maker? And how many of those guys are in the portal?

There are probably a handful.....but that number is likely very small in every way except in the NIL department. We'd have to throw huge bucks at the top 4-5 guys.
And that's just it. OU isn't in a position to succeed by chasing alpha's that are in the Portal selling their game to the highest bidder.

We need a coach and a program that goes looking for the under the radar kids that are capable of being studs. We know they are out there. We know there are some kids going under the radar that are going to blossom at their new school. THOSE are the kids OU should be trying to find. THAT is how OU is going to get an alpha, all-conference type guard.

Pedulla isn't horrible, but he's a volume scorer with average athleticism that doesn't defend well.
Overton is getting critically over-valued on here. He'd be a nice bench piece that could be starter-worthy down the road. Slow feet. That isn't something you want in your guards. He's like a less athletic, less developed David Godbold.
Garrison I have no problem with, I just don't think having a "rim protector" is worth it's weight in gold. Not a bad thing to have, but I just think his impact is being overstated.

I see the team Moser is building for next year looking a lot like the teams he's built the last few years. What he wants, what he is looking for, what he is going after, dramatically different every offseason. I just don't trust him to put the pieces he's likely to bringing in together to form the team I want to see on the court. Either he'll have to do a much better job of coaching, or we're going to need to find 1-2 much better players than what we're rumored to be getting.

JMO.

Last edited:
I see the team Moser is building for next year looking a lot like the teams he's built the last few years. What he wants, what he is looking for, what he is going after, dramatically different every offseason.
Wat

Overton is getting critically over-valued on here. He'd be a nice bench piece that could be starter-worthy down the road. Slow feet. That isn't something you want in your guards. He's like a less athletic, less developed David Godbold.

JMO.
At least you added JMO...

Keep in mind Freshman v. Senior numbers

1713040757103.png

SeasonSchoolClassGGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
GodboldOklahomaSR351910073.5100.3551.74.40.3911.85.60.3261.72.30.7725.52.51.50.61.5310.6
OvertonDrakeFR353510475.211.70.442.84.90.572.46.80.3462.430.7954.51.50.80.20.72.915.1

1713040881833.png
SummaryGPTSTRBASTFG%FG3%FT%eFG%PERWS
Overton23-24
35​
11.3​
3.3​
1.1​
44​
34.6​
79.5​
54.1​
14.5​
3.6​
Career
35​
11.3​
3.3​
1.1​
44​
34.6​
79.5​
54.1​
14.5​
3.6​
Godbold23-24
35​
7.7​
4​
1.8​
0.355​
0.326​
0.772​
2.8​
Career
123​
6.4​
3.6​
1.5​
36.5​
34​
71.4​
45.4​
7.1​

If you can't understand that comment of mine, I don't know what to tell you. It's been discussed a bunch on here, and even the Moser defenders have typically agreed.

But keep doing you.
I just don’t understand what you are saying. You claim you see the team he is building look like his other teams and then claim he changes what he is looking for each year

Pedulla isn't horrible, but he's a volume scorer with average athleticism that doesn't defend well.

JMO.
Pedulla is also statistically better than Uzan and McCollum:
SummaryGPTSTRBASTFG%FG3%FT%eFG%PERWS
Pedulla23-24
32​
16.4​
4.3​
4.6​
42.4​
32.5​
80.1​
48.9​