MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

I've not seen much of Pedulla, so if we sign him, I'll just hope for the best, but I can't hope but notice that his shooting percentages and turnover rate are worse than some players many on this board were happy to see go when they transferred.

What is it about Pedulla, exactly, that we should be excited about if we get him?
This is my exact question. He’s not overally athletic, doesn’t shoot it great but he still put 16 points a game so he’s obviously decent. Maybe he’s just got a really good basketball IQ, but his TO rate would suggest otherwise.

To me he’s aggressive. He shot 37 more free throws than Uzan and McCollum combined.
Well, maybe not saying much. Los, as a starting PG in the physical Big XII, only averaged 1 more FT than me from Section 220.

Averaged 1.1 FT PG in his career at OU. But did lead the league in jump passes.

Seriously, I don't hate Los, I actually liked him. Just disappointed in the lack of aggressiveness and mental toughness as our PG and primary ball handler. That showed big in FTs.

This is my exact question. He’s not overally athletic, doesn’t shoot it great but he still put 16 points a game so he’s obviously decent. Maybe he’s just got a really good basketball IQ, but his TO rate would suggest otherwise.
PPG is a terrible thing to look at. Pace. System. VOLUME. All of that matters. Somebody that shoots 20% from the floor can get 18ppg if they shoot enough times.

Not saying he is terrible, but he doesn't mover the needle for me if we're trying to improve the program. And he's gone in 1 year. So it's not building for the future either. Moser is in a tricky spot. Losing a lot of players off this year's roster most likely. HAVING to win next year to save his job (hopefully that's what Joe C has communicated to him). Still needing to build for the future. What I hope doesn't happen is we sign a bunch of transfers with one year left. Look better next year and make the Dance. Then start from scratch the following season and miss the Dance. I'll wait until the roster is set before forming a full opinion, but this kid in particularly doesn't move the needle for me. And being an Oklahoma kid isn't going to get my butt to Norman to watch a game.

Last edited:
PPG is a terrible thing to look at. Pace. System. VOLUME. All of that matters. Somebody that shoots 20% from the floor can get 18ppg if they shoot enough times.

Not saying he is terrible, but he doesn't mover the needle for me if we're trying to improve the program. And he's gone in 1 year. No it's not building for the future either. Moser is in a tricky spot. Losing a lot of players off this year's roster most likely. HAVING to win next year to save his job (hopefully that's what Joe C has communicated to him). Still needing to build for the future. What I hope doesn't happen is we sign a bunch of transfers with one year left. Look better next year and make the Dance. Then start from scratch the following season and miss the Dance. I'll wait until the roster is set before forming a full opinion, but this kid in particularly doesn't move the needle for me. And being an Oklahoma kid isn't going to get my butt to Norman to watch a game.
Ppg can absolutely be used. Silly to say otherwise.

I've posted the Uzan V. Pedulla stats here previously. I know you were trying to cite a bad example for Ppg being useless, but pedulla also shot better % and had better stats across the board. So PPG would absolutely matter in this case. Tov and fouls being in Los adv

SummaryGPTSTRBASTFG%FG3%FT%eFG%PERWS
Pedulla23-24
32​
16.4​
4.3​
4.6​
42.4​
32.5​
80.1​
48.9​
18.1​
3​
Career
102​
12.1​
3​
3.2​
42.1​
35.5​
83.3​
49.9​
17.2​
8.3​
Milos23-24
32​
9​
3.4​
4.4​
39.2​
29.6​
67.6​
45​
11.5​
2.1​
Career
64​
8.3​
3.1​
3.7​
42.4​
33.9​
71.8​
48.8​
11.1​
3.7​

For visuals:
View attachment 1130

Pedulla is a good player, has a lot of high major experience which you can’t understate and can make plays. Him and McCollum should work off each other pretty well but defensively it will be an issue.

Whatever NIL $ OU has they need to close on Garrison and another big, just cannot go into the SEC without significant upgrades there. That conference has a bunch of big guys that can move and block shots.

Concerning but looks like he does everything else wel
He’s a good player. Really good player. However, there are some things that make me confident that he wouldn’t move the needle and may potentially hurt.

Every bad team has to have a leading scorer. He and Haggerty at TU were on bad teams, but had the ball in their hands a lot. He was erratic to the point to where the VT fans grew weary of him. He’s also atrocious defensively. I don’t think he’s dynamic enough of a scorer to deal with him being erratic.

If he were smart, he’d go to ORU and be Abmas 2.0 instead of hopping in the Big 12 or SEC and averaging 12 points on a bubble team.

Well, maybe not saying much. Los, as a starting PG in the physical Big XII, only averaged 1 more FT than me from Section 220.

Averaged 1.1 FT PG in his career at OU. But did lead the league in jump passes.

Seriously, I don't hate Los, I actually liked him. Just disappointed in the lack of aggressiveness and mental toughness as our PG and primary ball handler. That showed big in FTs.
This made me laugh because I frequently use the old Kelvin saying that someone had the same amount of rebounds as a dead guy.

I’m with you on Los. The reason I am so disappointed is because I was so high on him after last season. His size is a huge asset as a PG and he seemed to play a very poised game as a freshman. I was guilty of assuming that he would only get better from there. Who knows what happened. Maybe he isn’t cut out for a featured role. Maybe playing alongside another ball dominant guy threw him off. Maybe Moser didn’t develop him. Hard to know for sure.

Ppg can absolutely be used. Silly to say otherwise.

I've posted the Uzan V. Pedulla stats here previously. I know you were trying to cite a bad example for Ppg being useless, but pedulla also shot better % and had better stats across the board. So PPG would absolutely matter in this case. Tov and fouls being in Los adv

I’d give him the edge over Uzan.

With all of the contact made to smallish pgs and pedulla looking to be a Sooner, should we be expecting a portal announcement from javian?

Say we lose Uzan and Hugely as predicted and show Yaya the door (hopefully). That would leave us with the below roster with 5 spots to fill:

G: Javian McCollum, Kaden Cooper, Dayton Forsythe
F: Jalon Moore, Jacolb Cole, Kuol Atak
C: Sam Godwin, Luke Northweather

Probably would need 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center. Guys that we seem to have a shot with as of now listed below:

G: Sean Pedulla (VT), Kevin Overton (Drake), Zeke Mayo (SDSU/longshot), Jordan Ivy-Curry (UTSA)
F: Saint Thomas (No Col), William Kyle III (SDSU)
C: Brandon Garrison (OSU)

I'm sure I'm missing some guys but it seems like we're really heavily involved with guards right now. Wouldn't mind seeing us going for some bigger players to play on the wings. Especially if we are going to be running out lineups with both McCollum and Pedulla (if he does indeed transfer here)

For this kid to leave a school that let him play the style of basketball he plays is very suspicious……

That coach loves guys like Sean.
I think it's as simple as...the kid wants to be at OU. If the OU thing doesn't work out...I suspect he will stay at VT. My bet is that he's a Sooner though.

Back