MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Sign me up for Overton over Pedulla if forced to choose. Wouldn't mind taking both, but Overton is more athletic and has 3 years of eligibility left. He strikes me as a less athletic, yet more refined version of what Oweh was this year and I'd take that. He also played heavy minutes for a very good Drake team as a freshman.

Low major to high major trajectory

McCollum went from 17pts per game to 13pts
Darthard went from 15 points to 7 points
Alston Mason went from 1pt to 10pts

What do you think Overton’s trajectory will be from 11 points heading into the SEC?

I think it's as simple as...the kid wants to be at OU. If the OU thing doesn't work out...I suspect he will stay at VT. My bet is that he's a Sooner though.
Nah, he was begrudgingly upset about OU and OSU offering other kids in his class. Plus his dream school was Notre Dame as he’s Catholic.

He and the coach there grew tired of each other. Happens all the time. I believe it happened with Manek at OU.

I watched a few of their games, and you could tell…..

What do you think Overton’s trajectory will be from 11 points heading into the SEC?
I think it is normal for players jumping up a level to see stats dips, but the difference here is that McCollum and Darthard were both upperclassmen while Overton is only a Freshman and has some room for growth. I believe he has the athleticism to compete in the SEC. I'm not counting on him to come in and be a star player, but I would be willing to bet a lot that he gives us much more than Oweh did this past season.

There are also transfers that jump up a level and perform well as well. Graham Ike at Gonzaga, Max Abmas at Texas, Raequan Battle at WVU, and Ace Baldwin at Penn State to name a few. I think Overton is a good enough player to be a contributor in a P5 conference next year. Would it be so bad if he replicated Darthard's season next year as a sophomore?

We really complaining about Pedulla? I get it if we spent our whole NIL budget on him, but he's a quality player. If we keep the two JMs and add the 3 OK preps, this offseason went about as well as could be imagined. He's just one piece.

We really complaining about Pedulla? I get it if we spent our whole NIL budget on him, but he's a quality player. If we keep the two JMs and add the 3 OK preps, this offseason went about as well as could be imagined. He's just one piece.
The ACC is not that bad of a basketball league. We got Jalon Moore from there and he only put up 7 points per game at Georgia Tech and was our most consistent player this year. Pedulla put up 15 per game last year and 16.5 this year. If he can score double digits regularly that takes pressure off McCollum having to score every game.

Still probably need another wing that can score and maybe one more bench wing that can score.

Nah, he was begrudgingly upset about OU and OSU offering other kids in his class. Plus his dream school was Notre Dame as he’s Catholic.

He and the coach there grew tired of each other. Happens all the time. I believe it happened with Manek at OU.

I watched a few of their games, and you could tell…..

You could be right...who knows.......but I'm not a fan of just coming up with what you "think" happened and using it as a way to form an opinion.

If you know something you can't share that's fine. Understandable.

The idea that a kid and the coach grew tired of each other appears to imply the kid maybe has attitude or coachability issues. May not be your assumption or view but it's how I read that.

The good thing about Overton is he will be a sophomore so he'll have room to get better. I don't expect him to maybe be a high volume scorer in his first year here. Maybe he'll be a good bench guy at least. I think we may still need one more wing/forward.

I have ZERO problem with athletes being able to work jobs, have additional income, or even be paid for their true NIL.

I have a problem with buying players and calling it NIL.

Some say you can't legally split those two into separate categories. I say it can be done.
We haven't always seen eye to eye but I agree with your take on this issue.

He’s a good player. Really good player. However, there are some things that make me confident that he wouldn’t move the needle and may potentially hurt.

Every bad team has to have a leading scorer. He and Haggerty at TU were on bad teams, but had the ball in their hands a lot. He was erratic to the point to where the VT fans grew weary of him. He’s also atrocious defensively. I don’t think he’s dynamic enough of a scorer to deal with him being erratic.

If he were smart, he’d go to ORU and be Abmas 2.0 instead of hopping in the Big 12 or SEC and averaging 12 points on a bubble team.

This stuff is so soft… what a losers mentality.

Say we lose Uzan and Hugely as predicted and show Yaya the door (hopefully). That would leave us with the below roster with 5 spots to fill:

G: Javian McCollum, Kaden Cooper, Dayton Forsythe
F: Jalon Moore, Jacolb Cole, Kuol Atak
C: Sam Godwin, Luke Northweather

Probably would need 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center. Guys that we seem to have a shot with as of now listed below:

G: Sean Pedulla (VT), Kevin Overton (Drake), Zeke Mayo (SDSU/longshot), Jordan Ivy-Curry (UTSA)
F: Saint Thomas (No Col), William Kyle III (SDSU)
C: Brandon Garrison (OSU)

I'm sure I'm missing some guys but it seems like we're really heavily involved with guards right now. Wouldn't mind seeing us going for some bigger players to play on the wings. Especially if we are going to be running out lineups with both McCollum and Pedulla (if he does indeed transfer here)

You can forget mayo and Ivey

I think it is normal for players jumping up a level to see stats dips, but the difference here is that McCollum and Darthard were both upperclassmen while Overton is only a Freshman and has some room for growth. I believe he has the athleticism to compete in the SEC. I'm not counting on him to come in and be a star player, but I would be willing to bet a lot that he gives us much more than Oweh did this past season.

There are also transfers that jump up a level and perform well as well. Graham Ike at Gonzaga, Max Abmas at Texas, Raequan Battle at WVU, and Ace Baldwin at Penn State to name a few. I think Overton is a good enough player to be a contributor in a P5 conference next year. Would it be so bad if he replicated Darthard's season next year as a sophomore?
Ain’t no difference. Graham Ike, a kid my cousin coached at Aurora West in Colorado and who I saw play as a sophomore averaged 19 plus at Wyoming and went from a mid major conference to a. Mid major conference. His production is about the same. Abmas is really good. His production was great. 20pts per game I’m the Big12. It wasn’t a major fall off from 24.

I know Overton. Depending on who OU brings in, he could be coming off the bench if he were to play here. It’s not a good fit.

I like Oklahoma kids too, but to think all would be great fits at OU is unrealistic. Trey Alexander would be a great fit. Sam Godwin has been a great fit as a role player. Brayden Hubbard a Tulsa Memorial kid who’s expanded his game to the perimeter and is averaging 26 in juco or Jeff Nwankwo, an OKC kid who’s averaging 19 in Juco could possibly be good fits. They aren’t ball sticking, over dribbling wild guards. Those guys don’t fit with Moser.

Last edited:
Sometimes I hate our media. Transfer portal season is the prime time for them to write basketball recruiting articles, but instead we get the same story about football spring practice drills from 15 different reporters.

Sometimes I hate our media. Transfer portal season is the prime time for them to write basketball recruiting articles, but instead we get the same story about football spring practice drills from 15 different reporters.
To be fair idk if there really is any development yet of who's really gonna get who yet right

Back