MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

I haven't, moved out of OK. Had to look him up since you mentioned him. Impressive stats in juco. Not totally surprised. He is/was limited (undersized post for the major D1 level) but always gave great effort/energy.

Those Memorial teams were fun. Friersen, Pratt, Hubbard, can't think of the rail thin white kid's name, etc.
Aging myself a bit, but Memorial had some good teams back in the mid-90's as well.

I think the Lloyd kid that went to UCLA was from there. They had a couple of kids when we played them, Atif Williams and Wes Pitcock.

A lot of good ball players in Eastern Oklahoma back around that time. A lot.

Honestly, don't know a ton of info on him. I remember him popping up as Fardaws Aimaq's agent last year. I think his first client is/was Mac McClung.

So far, this cycle, these are the names I've seen him linked to on Twitter:

Devin Askew (Cal)
Jacob Crews (Belmont) - he's committed/going to Mizzou
AJ McGinnis (Lipscomb)
James Patterson (D2 kid who averaged 24 ppg)
Peter Filipovity (Maine)
Jacob Meyer (Coastal Carolina)

and juco Jeff Nwankwo (Cowley) who is an OU target (no offer yet).

He definitely has more than that.

-----

Where is big with the current JUCO players we should be targeting?

I'm not going to lie, in some cases, I'd rather take a chance on some of those guys then some of the names I've seen attached to us.

I'm not going to lie, in some cases, I'd rather take a chance on some of those guys then some of the names I've seen attached to us.
What other guys were you looking at?

I'm not saying JM is going anywhere, but judging from our offer list, I'm not 100% sure he is coming back either.

I'll also add that I'm not a fan of spending "our biggest NIL yet" on Garrison. Garrison at OU doesn't move the needle a ton. OU needs an alpha-guard more than we need anything else. I don't really have an opinion on Garrison's upside in 2-3 years, but right now he is a guy that can't do anything on his own offensively. His rebounding rate is pretty "meh" as well (in line with Soares, worse than Godwin). Not saying he wouldn't be a nice addition, but if I have "record" NIL to spend, I'm going after a guard that can take a came over, not a big who is a bit more of a rim protector than we currently have. Adequate bigs shouldn't cost an arm and leg. Houston finds them in spades.

I'm not saying JM is going anywhere, but judging form our offer list, I'm not 100% sure he is coming back either.

I'll also add that I'm not a fan of spending "our biggest NIL yet" on Garrison. Garrison at OU doesn't move the needle a ton. OU needs an alpha-guard more than we need anything else. I don't really have an opinion on Garrison's upside in 2-3 years, but right now he is a guy that can't do anything on his own offensively. His rebounding rate is pretty "meh" as well (in line with Soares, worse than Godwin). Not saying he wouldn't be a nice addition, but if I have "record" NIL to spend, I'm going after a guard that can take a came over, not a big who is a bit more of a rim protector than we currently have. Adequate bigs shouldn't cost an arm and leg. Houston finds them in spades.

He's not 100% back yet.

I'm not saying JM is going anywhere, but judging from our offer list, I'm not 100% sure he is coming back either.

Garrison is going to be very good at this level. Big men cost a lot more out of the portal. I also seriously doubt that our “highest offer” is anywhere close to what KU paid for the Michigan big man, for instance.

I see both sides of this. I think we really need a good big, but I am not sure if Garrison will be that guy in the immediate future. But I also agree that a really good guard can be a difference maker. We have had some decent ones the past three years, but no one who is capable of being a stud in the Big 12 (or SEC). All our guys have been deficient in at least one area -- too small, too slow, not athletic, not good shooters, etc. I still laugh when I recall how much hype Lusk and some of the other homers gave our backcourt in November -- saying it might be the best in the conference. Instead, it was in the bottom half of the league, and PM didn't put our best wing in the starting lineup till late February.

Garrison is going to be very good at this level. Big men cost a lot more out of the portal. I also seriously doubt that our “highest offer” is anywhere close to what KU paid for the Michigan big man, for instance.
Not a fair comparison. Dickinson was an established star -- most sites consider him the best/most coveted player to ever enter the portal. But I think your point is correct in general -- the supply of good bigs is scarce compared to guards, so they probably get more money.

Not a fair comparison. Dickinson was an established star -- most sites consider him the best/most coveted player to ever enter the portal. But I think your point is correct in general -- the supply of good bigs is scarce compared to guards, so they probably get more money.
Yeah, Dickinson's offense makes that a different scenario all together.

Like you said, I see both sides of it, just not sure what Garrison's true ceiling is, especially offensively. And not sure PM's offense will take advantage of what he does well.

Like you said, I see both sides of it, just not sure what Garrison's true ceiling is, especially offensively. And not sure PM's offense will take advantage of what he does well.
At the very least he would be a more athletic rim runner on the pick and roll than Godwin. But yeah, he's not going to be a five-out guy. We'll need shooters too (and willing cutters off the ball).

My primary point being we can’t afford the best big man in the portal.

Garrison would be a massive addition to this team. He is the rim protecting big man our defense desperately needs.

I think the thing with Garrison is that adding him gives us the potential to go to the next level defensively. The one thing OU has been elite at the entire time PM has been here has been the 3 point defense. If you can add a legit rim protector to that it could make the defense so much better.

Offensively, Garrison gives you a rim runner with a little back to the basket game. I also think an underrated part of his game is his passing ability. We know Moser loves having bigs that can pass dating back to his time at Loyola. I think Garrison brings more of that than any of the bigs he's had at OU to this point. Plus he's got 3 years of eligibility remaining and is an Okie. That gives us a better chance of long-term retention

My primary point being we can’t afford the best big man in the portal.

Garrison would be a massive addition to this team. He is the rim protecting big man our defense desperately needs.
We also need a big who is good offensively. I am not saying he can't be that guy -- just that it is far from certain.

Targeting JUCO players is so '90s/2000s.

The reality is prep school and reclassifying pretty much eliminated the highly rated JUCO market. Combine that with the transfer portal and penalty-free transfers, and I'm not sure a JUCO AA would be any more talented than some of the mid-majors in the portal. I supposed there is always a handful that may have had an issue coming out of HS that were forced to go JUCO, but the track now is prep school to D1, or go to a North Texas, IUIPI, Drexel, Binghamton, App State, etc and then enter the portal with some stats to get NIL to a bigger school. No Larry Johnsons, Jimmy Bulters, or Mookie Blaylocks in today's era.

Even successful JUCO players in today's game like Waldo or Tylor Perry went to a D1 school after JUCO before their current success.

I get the apprehension on some of the guys- I even have some concern about Pedulla and his TO rate- but pretty much can ignore the name on the front of the jersey. Treat the portal like the NFL does the combine- they don't really care about the school and just look at the measurables and see how they transfer to the league.

We also need a big who is good offensively. I am not saying he can't be that guy -- just that it is far from certain.

He showed plenty of offensive skill as a true freshman to suggest he can be good on both sides of the floor eventually imo.

I would be ecstatic if we landed him but I still doubt he ends up a Sooner.

Back