MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

It should tell you that people who cover basketball for a living and aren’t homers for one team might have a better idea of how players stack up than you do. Oweh was brutal for two months. He also was in a system that didn’t capitalize on his strengths and was playing for a coach who has shown zero ability to develop guys who have played multiple seasons for him in Norman. You had probably never heard of any of the guys we have signed until a few weeks ago. You almost certainly have never watched any of them play a game. Yet you seem confident they are better than our departing players. If that’s the case, I wonder why Houston and Kentucky weren’t interested in the four kids we signed.

Our “system” had nothing to do with Oweh missing lay-up after lay-up. And no system is going to help his jump shot. I liked him as a player, but he’s no where near a top 100 player in the portal. Look, we can just agree to disagree…and I’m perfectly fine with that. As far as the 4 players we have gotten. I knew of all of them except Jadon Jones. I don’t watch a lot of west coast b-ball due to the time zone. I have a cousin who graduated from High Point, so he had been talking up Miles since he entered the portal, although neither of us would have guessed he’d end up at OU. I’ve watched Dayton play several times, and Goodine was a top 100 player coming out of HS, so was familiar with the name. Who knows, these guys may all end up meshing together nicely. The one thing none of us know, is what the chemistry will be with these guys. The sum can be greater than the parts…often times.

It’s going to get uncomfortable if another target at guard does not emerge soon.

Early last week, none of us knew we’d be getting visits from either Miles or Richmond, so there’s always something going on that none of us know about. At least one additional solid guard is a must. He doesn’t need to avg 20 ppg, but it needs to be someone who could contribute 8-10 ppg. And that’s more than Cooper likely would have done.

Our “system” had nothing to do with Oweh missing lay-up after lay-up. And no system is going to help his jump shot. I liked him as a player, but he’s no where near a top 100 player in the portal. Look, we can just agree to disagree…and I’m perfectly fine with that. As far as the 4 players we have gotten. I knew of all of them except Jadon Jones. I don’t watch a lot of west coast b-ball due to the time zone. I have a cousin who graduated from High Point, so he had been talking up Miles since he entered the portal, although neither of us would have guessed he’d end up at OU. I’ve watched Dayton play several times, and Goodine was a top 100 player coming out of HS, so was familiar with the name. Who knows, these guys may all end up meshing together nicely. The one thing none of us know, is what the chemistry will be with these guys. The sum can be greater than the parts…often times.
Or him not being able to dribble.

Early last week, none of us knew we’d be getting visits from either Miles or Richmond, so there’s always something going on that none of us know about. At least one additional solid guard is a must. He doesn’t need to avg 20 ppg, but it needs to be someone who could contribute 8-10 ppg. And that’s more than Cooper likely would have done.
I'd argue that we need way more than a potential 8-10 ppg guy. We lost 5 of our top 6 scorers through graduation and the portal. Miles may have the potential to be a good scorer, but the rest all seem like role players. It's really, really hard to be good in a great league if you don't have a guy who will average 15 a game and be capable of 20+ on any given night. We have already seen that play out for three seasons. Role players are fine and dandy, as long as they are acting in support of a leading man.

So we went from "Moser is doing things in HS recruiting we haven't seen done in decades".....to "It's not Moser's fault our top 100 prospect can't dribble or make layups."

lol, make it make sense.

I'd argue that we need way more than a potential 8-10 ppg guy. We lost 5 of our top 6 scorers through graduation and the portal. Miles may have the potential to be a good scorer, but the rest all seem like role players. It's really, really hard to be good in a great league if you don't have a guy who will average 15 a game and be capable of 20+ on any given night. We have already seen that play out for three seasons. Role players are fine and dandy, as long as they are acting in support of a leading man.
To me, that is Miles. Richmond was overkill for my optimism I think, but still wanted the double threat.

I know it was lower comp, but High Point finished #114 in KenPom (27-9), 36th offensive efficiency. Miles only scored single digits in 2 games. (both in blowouts)

I am easily higher on him than most, but we will see I suppose. I do not disagree that we need another guard, I just don't that we need a 15 a game guy, bc to me, we already have that guy.

I think it needs to be someone better than that if we want to be confident about making the tournament.

The staff clearly feels that way or they wouldn’t have spent time recruiting a guy like Richmond.

Just to be clear, the $1.2 million was the STJ offer that he had in his pocket before last night. OU's offer was not quite that high.

I’d actually wanna vomit if we paid him anywhere near $1.2mm. F that. He’s a nice player, but for that much $$, you better be shooting better than 27% from 3. I’m NOT into overpaying kids by that much. He can go to SJ and not win anything there.

I’d actually wanna vomit if we paid him anywhere near $1.2mm. F that. He’s a nice player, but for that much $$, you better be shooting better than 27% from 3. I’m NOT into overpaying kids by that much. He can go to SJ and not win anything there.

He shot 44% the year before and is 34% for his career. Those numbers don't even come remotely close to scaring me away.

Also, Giannis is perennial top 5 player in the NBA and shoots under 30% from 3. Flank him with shooters and it absolutely would work.

Not good enough for OU though. Weird.

YARN | Nah I'm just kidding, but seriously... | Dodgeball: A True Underdog  Story (2004) | Video gifs by quotes | af8d8d7d | 紗

Back