MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Not good enough for OU though. Weird.

YARN | Nah I'm just kidding, but seriously... | Dodgeball: A True Underdog  Story (2004) | Video gifs by quotes | af8d8d7d | 紗'm just kidding, but seriously... | Dodgeball: A True Underdog  Story (2004) | Video gifs by quotes | af8d8d7d | 紗
I'll be happy to eat crow. But right now I just don't see it.

Just unbelievable that unproven (for the money) KIDS are getting this kind.

These jackwagons better be ready for the scrutiny.

I’ll be sure to bitch about our guys if they are not performing.. and as a PAID player I have that right.

So no more bitching and moaning about us holding the “kids” to a high standard.. no more of the “they’re just college kids”… screw that.
It's one key reason why I hate the recent developments. If I want to read/listen to fans carping at guys with the excuse the players are making big bucks, I'd follow pro sports. I liked that college sports were different, as were the expectations/demands of reasonable college fans.

It's one key reason why I hate the recent developments. If I want to read/listen to fans carping at guys with the excuse the players are making big bucks, I'd follow pro sports. I liked that college sports were different, as were the expectations/demands of reasonable college fans.
Yup.. guess I'll get more into the thunder.

College is dead. Everything that made it perfect is going by the wayside

Wait til they trot out the 96 team tournament......

I agree… I’m not going to go ballistic, but if a guy isn’t doing well I’ll be ok with saying so.

These “kids” can’t use the I’m just a college player now. Ya are making more $$ for playing a game than A LOT of hard working folks are.

On top they are getting 50k? In education/room and board/clothing/access to medical facilities/etc.

Sucks but it’s now the norm

1) Get ready?! Where have you been? These kids have been getting message board scrutiny since the invention of message boards.
2) A grown man ****-talking a teenager online is still not a good look even if they make more money than you.
lol… teenager? Whatever… that’s exactly what I’m talking about. You giving them the “teenager” excuse.

Btw, I won’t be talking ****…but def going to bring up poor play. It’s more for jackwagons like you that use the excuses.

You keep doing you👍🏻

It was a unique model that no other country partook in. It has always been on borrowed time. NCAA fell asleep at the wheel certainly accelerated it though.

College is not dead and hasn't been perfect in decades, if ever. KU/Carolina/Kentucky/etc were always cheating/had a decided advantage.
We could occasionally compete. Now we're relegated to the bottom feeders. Until more $$ is available to buy better players, which may or may not ever happen.

College is not dead and hasn't been perfect in decades, if ever. KU/Carolina/Kentucky/etc were always cheating/had a decided advantage.
We could occasionally compete. Now we're relegated to the bottom feeders. Until more $$ is available to buy better players, which may or may not ever happen.
I mean you just described why it is dead in this post and didn’t even realize it

We need more money to buy players. That’s not college bball.

At least the way it has historically been, it was still against the rules to buy players and there was always the threat of getting caught. And once you did buy them, they were yours for the next several years. And you were “buying” kids to sign with you as a freshman. Not enticing kids already committed

I mean you just described why it is dead in this post and didn’t even realize it

We need more money to buy players. That’s not college bball.

At least the way it has historically been, it was still against the rules to buy players and there was always the threat of getting caught. And once you did buy them, they were yours for the next several years. And you were “buying” kids to sign with you as a freshman. Not enticing kids already committed

It's only dead for programs that don't have the financial backing from donors.
Presently, we're one of those programs.

I feel that the transfer portal has overall been a good thing for college sports in general. Yes, it can be frustrating at times, but it's also ridiculous for kids to have to ride the bench for four years just because they don't get along with a coach or aren't a good fit. Sitting out an entire year is just too much power to give an egotistical adult over a teenager. I always wished there was a middle ground, like sitting out a half season, but the logistics of that are a bit weird.

Basketball is the one sport that it has killed for me. I'm not sure if it's actually different in basketball, or it's just that my program has been the conference doormat for 8 seasons. I might feel more kindly about it if were able to utilize it more effectively. Having said that, some very good programs have hemorrhaged talent as well. They replaced it, but it still doesn't have the continuity I enjoy. Football ultimately has a lot of continuity from year to year if the coaching staff remains intact. Good football teams aren't losing half of their starting lineup that is eligible for a return.

It's only dead for programs that don't have the financial backing from donors.
Presently, we're one of those programs.
You arent getting the point I guess

Maybe it’s my fault. Should say college bball as we know it and as I love it is dead

I feel that the transfer portal has overall been a good thing for college sports in general. Yes, it can be frustrating at times, but it's also ridiculous for kids to have to ride the bench for four years just because they don't get along with a coach or aren't a good fit. Sitting out an entire year is just too much power to give an egotistical adult over a teenager. I always wished there was a middle ground, like sitting out a half season, but the logistics of that are a bit weird.

Basketball is the one sport that it has killed for me. I'm not sure if it's actually different in basketball, or it's just that my program has been the conference doormat for 8 seasons. I might feel more kindly about it if were able to utilize it more effectively. Having said that, some very good programs have hemorrhaged talent as well. They replaced it, but it still doesn't have the continuity I enjoy. Football ultimately has a lot of continuity from year to year if the coaching staff remains intact. Good football teams aren't losing half of their starting lineup that is eligible for a return.

ugh. No way. Really bad take
You are both looking at it from 2 different views and over-argueing.

@Eielson makes a great point though, I know former athletes who think the transfer portal is a godsend. Not for the top tier spending we are seeing, but for the players that get bamboozled by coaching staffs.

(Scenario 1) Imagine deciding how you want the next 4 years of your life to plan out. The coach says, to sit a year, learn, then you will be the starter if you work hard enough. The next year he recruits a 5-star. You think you have a shot to compete, then the next year the writing is on the wall and you know he won't ever play you. You then have to transfer, sit out another year, then have 1 year to play. (That was pre-transfer rules abolished) (redshirt not withstanding)

(Scenario 2) You get recruited to play for a coach bc you love his style of play, you see what he does with guards, and you are ready to make the jump to the pros under his coaching. After year 1 of you learning the offense, he takes another job and bails. You cannot follow him without sitting out a year. So you have to decide to stay and play for a coach you may hate or know nothing about with an entirely new offense to learn, or risk a transfer, sit out to waste a year of playing, hope that you can compete and the coach doesn't promise the incumbent at a new school playing time. (potentially 2-3 years of playing time wasted, bc of a coach job hopping)

This issue has always been coaches can move around however the hell they want with no real penalty (buyouts depending) and the players literally had to waste an entire year of college play to transfer, god forbid it was in conference bc that was illegal as well.

The point is, for the athlete, the transfer portal has been great, bc it gives you more time to find your fit, leave if your coach is an ASS-HAT, and play the game you want to play.

Will there be people who abuse the system? Of course. Will there be money grabs abounds? Yes. Does it make coaching much harder? Absolutely. (You have to recruit nonstop now) On the flip side, will this mean some players will stay longer instead of leaving early to go pro? Yes. (more money in college than in G-League/overseas)

There are pros and cons. The cons, for OU, are that we are not big-boy players in the basketball NIL game and don't seem to want to be that anytime soon. So it sucks, bc as fans, we see the writing on the wall.

But to not see how good this is for players, is just holding your fandom too close to your chest.

You are both looking at it from 2 different views and over-argueing.

@Eielson makes a great point though, I know former athletes who think the transfer portal is a godsend. Not for the top tier spending we are seeing, but for the players that get bamboozled by coaching staffs.

(Scenario 1) Imagine deciding how you want the next 4 years of your life to plan out. The coach says, to sit a year, learn, then you will be the starter if you work hard enough. The next year he recruits a 5-star. You think you have a shot to compete, then the next year the writing is on the wall and you know he won't ever play you. You then have to transfer, sit out another year, then have 1 year to play. (That was pre-transfer rules abolished) (redshirt not withstanding)

(Scenario 2) You get recruited to play for a coach bc you love his style of play, you see what he does with guards, and you are ready to make the jump to the pros under his coaching. After year 1 of you learning the offense, he takes another job and bails. You cannot follow him without sitting out a year. So you have to decide to stay and play for a coach you may hate or know nothing about with an entirely new offense to learn, or risk a transfer, sit out to waste a year of playing, hope that you can compete and the coach doesn't promise the incumbent at a new school playing time. (potentially 2-3 years of playing time wasted, bc of a coach job hopping)

This issue has always been coaches can move around however the hell they want with no real penalty (buyouts depending) and the players literally had to waste an entire year of college play to transfer, god forbid it was in conference bc that was illegal as well.

The point is, for the athlete, the transfer portal has been great, bc it gives you more time to find your fit, leave if your coach is an ASS-HAT, and play the game you want to play.

Will there be people who abuse the system? Of course. Will there be money grabs abounds? Yes. Does it make coaching much harder? Absolutely. (You have to recruit nonstop now) On the flip side, will this mean some players will stay longer instead of leaving early to go pro? Yes. (more money in college than in G-League/overseas)

There are pros and cons. The cons, for OU, are that we are not big-boy players in the basketball NIL game and don't seem to want to be that anytime soon. So it sucks, bc as fans, we see the writing on the wall.

But to not see how good this is for players, is just holding your fandom too close to your chest.
I will agree about a coach leaving for whatever reason, new job, fired, etc.. there should be that option.

If a player is guaranteed a starting spot and actually believes that…that’s on them. I don’t think, in today’s world… that that would/should ever happen.

The players should know that they’ll always get recruited over.

Just my two cents

I will agree about a coach leaving for whatever reason, new job, fired, etc.. there should be that option.

If a player is guaranteed a starting spot and actually believes that…that’s on them. I don’t think, in today’s world… that that would/should ever happen.

The players should know that they’ll always get recruited over.

Just my two cents
Agree, I think I should have worded that differently. But the writing is on the wall with depth charts sometimes.

But kids are promised stuff all the time, like starting spots if they stay in the program, etc...coaches say ALL sorts of things to get a recruit. So, just goes to the "being lied to" aspect of it all. The kid is still 17-18, just my opinion of course.

Appreciate your 2 cents and discussion, for sure.

Last edited:
Back