MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Now imagine a nba with no salary cap and/or luxury tax
And no contracts. That is essentially the college sports, particularly basketball, model RN. Unlimited free agency with no terms to stay at a program.

Imagine if SGA leaves OKC to join the Knicks on a huge FA deal, then decides he doesn't like it and moves to Boston mid or end of the year. Just walks away and gets paid more.

That is what is happening in college athletics.

Baseball doesn't have a cap. People complain about the Dodgers, Yankees and, since Steve Cohen bought the Mets, they are at the top of the list. Those teams have combined to win two World Series in the past 23 seasons. Smart teams like the Rays and Guardians and Twins manage to be competitive almost every season. The Royals made back-to-back World Series in 2014 and 2015. I could go on.

Even in the NBA, with a salary cap. stars find a way to play together and the "super team" trend has been going on for well over a decade.
Baseball does have revenue sharing. Teams like Yankees and dodgers receive a lesser share of national tv deals.. they make up for it with local.

Baseball doesn't have a cap, but there are major penalties in the form of luxury tax for spending over a certain amount on player payroll. and where does that money go? Half of it goes to to fund player benefits and individual player retirement accounts. Think of that: Because an owner was willing to pay some players "too much," he is forced to pay even more money into player benefits. The other half goes to other owners via revenue sharing. Steve Cohen was for a time willing to pay those penalties, but he's now trying to dig out of the deep hole he dug for himself, thanks to the luxury tax.

As for fans, they are never, ever considered in these matters. Coaches and players salaries keep climbing, the facilities arms race continues (which primarily benefits players and is paid for by fans), players have total freedom of movement with no restrictions, and the fans are left with no option but to continue paying the ever-increasing prices for tickets and concessions while watching helplessly as players come and go. Without fans, there would be no money in sports, but at both the professional and collegiate levels, they are largely ignored. Never even mentioned. And if they squawk even a little bit, they're called selfish.

We're the little Irish boy in the movie Titanic, and OU basketball is his mother. "What are we doing mommy?" "We're just waiting, dear. When they're finished putting first class people in the boat, they'll be starting with us. And we ought to be ready, oughtn't we?"

Baseball doesn't have a cap, but there are major penalties in the form of luxury tax for spending over a certain amount on player payroll. and where does that money go? Half of it goes to to fund player benefits and individual player retirement accounts. Think of that: Because an owner was willing to pay some players "too much," he is forced to pay even more money into player benefits. The other half goes to other owners via revenue sharing. Steve Cohen was for a time willing to pay those penalties, but he's now trying to dig out of the deep hole he dug for himself, thanks to the luxury tax.

As for fans, they are never, ever considered in these matters. Coaches and players salaries keep climbing, the facilities arms race continues (which primarily benefits players and is paid for by fans), players have total freedom of movement with no restrictions, and the fans are left with no option but to continue paying the ever-increasing prices for tickets and concessions while watching helplessly as players come and go. Without fans, there would be no money in sports, but at both the professional and collegiate levels, they are largely ignored. Never even mentioned. And if they squawk even a little bit, they're called selfish.
I live in the middle of Kansas. I am a fan of the Mets, Raiders, Flyers, and Sooners. I am able to watch every game of all of those teams on TV for a fairly modest price. (I realize everyone has different financial situations, and am not discounting people who can't afford Sunday Ticket, etc.). When I'm not home, I can watch games on my phone or computer. Back in the day, before these awful salaries got "out of control," fans were only able to see their favorite team on the rare occasion they were on national TV, unless you lived in their local broadcast area. As salaries have increased and money has become a much bigger factor in college and pro sports, fans have absolutely benefited in other ways. I much prefer the current era to having to go weeks without seeing the Mets play, or having to hope to get a decent radio signal so I could listen to an OU basketball game.

Wait til the players start "holding out' right before a big game or in the tournament.. these things will be happening soon, if they aren't already behind the scenes
This was rumored to have happened at FSU this past basketball season over NIL promises not being kept. There was also a rumor that Kadary Richmond held out a game over NIL he wasn’t paid, which sucks but if you promise me something and don’t hold up your end I’m not sure I wouldn’t do the same. Obviously that was just a rumor and who knows what the details really are, but yeah. I believe that’s already a thing but could become a more frequent issue if terms aren’t made more clear or collectives don’t have their **** together.

This was rumored to have happened at FSU this past basketball season over NIL promises not being kept. There was also a rumor that Kadary Richmond held out a game over NIL he wasn’t paid, which sucks but if you promise me something and don’t hold up your end I’m not sure I wouldn’t do the same. Obviously that was just a rumor and who knows what the details really are, but yeah. I believe that’s already a thing but could become a more frequent issue if terms aren’t made more clear or collectives don’t have their **** together.
I don't have an issue with that.
I do have an issue if players start holding up to get more money to play

I sure hope more names emerge soon of good players we may be legitimately in play for. Since the Richmond saga reached its inevitable conclusion, we have gone right back to no news or buzz.

I sure hope more names emerge soon of good players we may be legitimately in play for. Since the Richmond saga reached its inevitable conclusion, we have gone right back to no news or buzz.
Same.

Needs:
-Guard (or wing) (scoring or point preferrable, heck just another starter)
-Big (5 shot blocking/defense or another athletic 4 to play small and fast)

Info?
-Reeves (Vandy visit - presumed yesterday, maybe today too. Florida, Oklahoma, Clemson the others in the running)
-Onyenso (Since Bama got their guy, it appears Onyenso is down to L'Ville and Oklahoma ... or have they? Also some rumor he is still committed to Bama)
-Huie? (is just a Custer follow, we may as well be recruiting 30 thots too) No real info other than that.
-(insert any guard here)
-(insert any guard here)

Onyenso:

-Also invited to G-League Draft Combine. Trilly still thinks Bama, but LVille and OU there.

That pretty much covers it. We sit, we wait, we hope.

This wouldn’t be my first choice, but it’s also not the worst choice… I wonder if they could lure Riley Kugel out of his KU commitment. They already don’t feel super confident about keeping him.

This wouldn’t be my first choice, but it’s also not the worst choice… I wonder if they could lure Riley Kugel out of his KU commitment. They already don’t feel super confident about keeping him.
Yeah, it has something also to do with his grades apparently.

It does sound like he won’t end up there. I think they landed so many studs since they got him that they may not want/need him any more.

As for fans, they are never, ever considered in these matters.

I beg to differ. The fans are actually the center of the universe when it comes to sports. If fans stop watching, you can rest assured that if changes can be made to bring them back, it will happen. Take rest days in the NBA for instance. Load management absolutely is better for the individual player, and often the team. It's not good for the fans buying tickets, so the NBA tries to make changes every year.

I'd argue that for too long, the student-athlete didn't get nearly enough consideration. The transfer portal and NIL are the two biggest steps in the right direction for them. I don't like guys playing on 5 teams in 4 years, but sitting out an entire season while losing eligibility (or two in-conference) was not ideal either. If you want to keep a player, find a way to keep them happy. That's essentially how every revenue-generating process works.

Back