MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

You realize how insulting it is for you to suggest you and your sunshine pumping cronies are better fans than people who are questioning the direction of the program?

EDIT: there was no personal attack at you no need to respond with one. ..
So the mods allow sexist comments with no problems but edit my comment. Great job, guys.

If this is the roster it seems worse than last year.
probably.
I'd expect a bubble team again.
I do think last year was more talented. But sometimes the chemistry is off and things behind the scenes can play a big role in on the court performance.
So it is not impossible for us to perform better with a less talented roster in a less rigorous league

Who did OU beat out for Wague? Not completely sure.

I haven't seen any power conference team linked to him. Taking visits, official reporting of mutual interest, etc.

These are the programs/coaches who followed him on X...

Hawaii
Bowling Green
James Madison
Washington State
UNC Asheville
Houston Christian
Kansas City
Seton Hall
UT Martin
Drake

Here is my comparison ... post-portal for both rosters (assuming Nwankwo add)

To consider via last year to this one:
-None of us expected the massive jumps from Moore/Soares
-Godwin took a small step back with a bigger role (efficiency wise, backup help would be nice Wague/Northweather)
-Uzan took a small step back, (46.0-44.2)
-Oweh took a big step back, (54.6-41.6)
-McCollum actually improved his Eff Rating (45.6-52.9)
-Hugley IV actually took a big step forward, (44.0-57.9)
-Darthard took a big step back eff rating, (55.5-42.1)
-Soares obv the MVP, our worst rated transfer, (41.2-63.7!)
-Moore is 2nd, our 2nd worst rated transfer, (42.0-61.2)

So it is all a crap-shoot. We actually look better on paper, but who knows who will work well within the system and who will dud out.
I think there is a lot of hindsight going on, bc we saw the results already, but comparing the rosters it is not as bad as perceived.

23-2024
1715712885465.png

2022-23
1715712929365.png

Maybe, maybe not.

McCollum came from Siena, Jalen Moore avg 7 ppg @ Ga Tech, Soares shot 38% and avg 7 ppg @ Oreg, Darthard came from Utah Valley, Hugley well he came off an injury plagued year avg 8 ppg and 3 reb.

Just on its face you have to like the wings Moser brought in and the shooting seems it will be much improved. The lead guard sport is a bit worrisome, as is you have to guess Forsythe is being looked at as playing real minutes next year (OH NO).

Watching Porter go from

Garrison > Ugonna > Achor > Wague

Was like watching a confident but ugly guy flirt his way through all the women at the bar, slowly downgrading each time lol

Garrison - committed to the highest bidder..a school he never even visited, and there’s no shame in losing a recruit to Kentucky.

Ugonna - how long was PM supposed to wait? I LOVE his shot blocking and rebounding, but that’s all he can do.

Achor - couldn’t get into OU (or some other schools it sounds like). Not sure that PM’s fault.

Wague - numbers don’t stick out at first glance, BUT, he only played 8.5 mpg. When you look at his stats on a 40 mpg, Wague averages 16 ppg/40 and 12 rpg/40. Compare that to Ugonna: 8 ppg/40 and 10 rpg/40. Wague is a better scoring option and slightly better rebounder, but isn’t the shot blocker that Ugonna is.

For comparison, Garrisons numbers per 40 min are 13 ppg and 9 rpg. Looking at it from that lens, maybe Wague is a little better than some think. Time will tell.

Garrison - committed to the highest bidder..a school he never even visited, and there’s no shame in losing a recruit to Kentucky.

Ugonna - how long was PM supposed to wait? I LOVE his shot blocking and rebounding, but that’s all he can do.

Achor - couldn’t get into OU (or some other schools it sounds like). Not sure that PM’s fault.

Wague - numbers don’t stick out at first glance, BUT, he only played 8.5 mpg. When you look at his stats on a 40 mpg, Wague averages 16 ppg/40 and 12 rpg/40. Compare that to Ugonna: 8 ppg/40 and 10 rpg/40. Wague is a better scoring option and slightly better rebounder, but isn’t the shot blocker that Ugonna is.

For comparison, Garrisons numbers per 40 min are 13 ppg and 9 rpg. Looking at it from that lens, maybe Wague is a little better than some think. Time will tell.
If they change the rules and allow unlimited fouls, Wague will be . . . kind of not terrible. Sweet!

Maybe, maybe not.

McCollum came from Siena, Jalen Moore avg 7 ppg @ Ga Tech, Soares shot 38% and avg 7 ppg @ Oreg, Darthard came from Utah Valley, Hugley well he came off an injury plagued year avg 8 ppg and 3 reb.

Just on its face you have to like the wings Moser brought in and the shooting seems it will be much improved. The lead guard sport is a bit worrisome, as is you have to guess Forsythe is being looked at as playing real minutes next year (OH NO).
I mean sure, I just said they seem worse. I do think Moser is better with a grind it out team than a “fast” team.

Here is my comparison ... post-portal for both rosters (assuming Nwankwo add)

To consider via last year to this one:
-None of us expected the massive jumps from Moore/Soares
-Godwin took a small step back with a bigger role (efficiency wise, backup help would be nice Wague/Northweather)
-Uzan took a small step back, (46.0-44.2)
-Oweh took a big step back, (54.6-41.6)
-McCollum actually improved his Eff Rating (45.6-52.9)
-Hugley IV actually took a big step forward, (44.0-57.9)
-Darthard took a big step back eff rating, (55.5-42.1)
-Soares obv the MVP, our worst rated transfer, (41.2-63.7!)
-Moore is 2nd, our 2nd worst rated transfer, (42.0-61.2)

So it is all a crap-shoot. We actually look better on paper, but who knows who will work well within the system and who will dud out.
I think there is a lot of hindsight going on, bc we saw the results already, but comparing the rosters it is not as bad as perceived.

23-2024
View attachment 1861

2022-23
View attachment 1862
Great stuff. Lack of a true pg & not upgrading the 5 is the reason I don’t think this team seems better.

Get ready for Moser to go on and on about how Wague played in the NCAA tournament.

He played a grand total of 21 minutes during Bama’s four-game run. A total non-factor.

If taking Wague was a way to free up NIL $$$ for Nwankwo, he better be worth it.

If they change the rules and allow unlimited fouls, Wague will be . . . kind of not terrible. Sweet!

And you wonder why nobody invites you to any parties. 😉. He does like to foul…but when you KNOW you aren’t going to play 25 mpg, you tend to play with more aggressiveness, and that leads to more fouls.

maybe it's for the best that we don't get excited and have any expectations for the upcoming season. After all, we've been disappointed to an extent every season thus far, so not expecting much might serve us well. Moore seems to be our guy, if he ends up staying, from what I can tell. I hope Cole is productive for us, and the returnees have improved, as they really couldn't get much worse, IMO.

I think OU has improved its guard situation but took a step back in the post by swapping Hugley for Wague. Just hoping for a ncaa tournament…

At the very least I believe this is porter moser’s most athletic team, but is it enough to compete… that is the question. Think we could have waited for another big that’s in the draft maybe but who knows???

At the very least I believe this is porter moser’s most athletic team, but is it enough to compete… that is the question. Think we could have waited for another big that’s in the draft maybe but who knows???
Agreed about the athleticism.

I feel confident we will be competitive, that’s not been a huge issue with Porter. We have been in most games, but it sucks we’re going to have a glaring weakness in the front court that could easily swing some games in the wrong direction.

Back