MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

At the very least I believe this is porter moser’s most athletic team, but is it enough to compete… that is the question. Think we could have waited for another big that’s in the draft maybe but who knows???
We lost three of our four best athletes. Which new guys are on their level athletically?

Agreed about the athleticism.

I feel confident we will be competitive, that’s not been a huge issue with Porter. We have been in most games, but it sucks we’re going to have a glaring weakness in the front court that could easily swing some games in the wrong direction.
Agree to disagree on the athleticism front. This team took a step back athletically in my opinion in exchange for better shooting. Uzan, Oweh, Soares, and Dart are a much more athletic group of players than Elvis, Miles, Goodine, and Jones. But the latter 4 are better shooters on the whole which should hopefully make the offense have more space and flow a bit better

Agree to disagree on the athleticism front. This team took a step back athletically in my opinion in exchange for better shooting. Uzan, Oweh, Soares, and Dart are a much more athletic group of players than Elvis, Miles, Goodine, and Jones. But the latter 4 are better shooters on the whole which should hopefully make the offense have more space and flow a bit better
And Cooper.

Get ready for Moser to go on and on about how Wague played in the NCAA tournament.

He played a grand total of 21 minutes during Bama’s four-game run. A total non-factor.

If taking Wague was a way to free up NIL $$$ for Nwankwo, he better be worth it.
Nwankwo better be worth it lol

I think the upgrade in shooting could change things. If we’re going individual for individual, talent for talent, etc. it’s probably close with last year and I wouldn’t argue with someone saying last year was a more talented group. However, I think the offense will function at a higher level and with better spacing. And as underwhelming as his commitment feels, I do like Wague alright as a roller & offensive rebounder. If you’ve got some aggression at the guard spots that can draw help and either hit the lob or get the ball on the rim in the pick & roll game, guys like Godwin & Wague can be assets. It’s one of the issues I had with Uzan. He wasn’t good at getting where he wanted to with the basketball or putting the ball in threatening spots. Ultra obedient of everything the defense gave him and sometimes it would lure him into bad situations. That’s part of why he couldn’t get to the foul line. When you’re never forcing the issue as a ball guard (especially in a ball screen/DHO heavy offense) you’re making it easier on the entire defense and you can’t get them out of position. The whole point is to create numbers in the half court. I think the two guards they’re bringing may be better at not just accepting that they’re defended (I also think Forsythe is really good/mature in these ball screen situations specifically).

All of that stuff goes together though. Shooting creates spacing, so that lob threat is more available. Or the lob threat is holding the help defender so the 3 is available. It makes offensive rebounding easier. It makes off-ball movement more effective. It helps your transition defense. Being able to shoot it helps basically everything and I think it’ll show up in a variety of ways.

Not sitting here acting like they’re a sweet 16 lock or even a tournament lock but I’m not ready to just say they’ll be worse than last season. The whole may end up being greater than the sum of its parts.

Outdated info now.

Wague could surprise.. Of course I’m basing it on the OUI article.. That he had 11 pts, 3 rebounds, 3 steals in 20 minutes vs Purdue. But it shows he could put it together

Wague could surprise.. Of course I’m basing it on the OUI article.. That he had 11 pts, 3 rebounds, 3 steals in 20 minutes vs Purdue. But it shows he could put it together

He cant play. His IQ will be the excuse Northweather will get more minutes.

We lost three of our four best athletes. Which new guys are on their level athletically?
Yeah, I don't really understand those saying this is the most athletic roster he's had. At best it's probably on par with last year. And it may not quite reach that.

I think OU has improved its guard situation but took a step back in the post by swapping Hugley for Wague. Just hoping for a ncaa tournament…
I know it totally depends how you group guys, but if it's like this:

2023 guards:
McCollum, Oweh, Uzan, Soares, Darthard, Cooper

2024 guards:
Miles, Elvis, Jones, Goodine, Forsythe

I'm probably going to say we didn't improve overall. Shooting should be better. That's about all I could conceded at this point.
Depth. Athleticism. Upside/ceiling. Competitive experience. I'd side with 2023. I guess the 2024 group is older/more mature.

We'll see.

Yeah, I don't really understand those saying this is the most athletic roster he's had. At best it's probably on par with last year. And it may not quite reach that.
I honestly don't think it will even be close to last year. Waldo and Cooper are close to Moore as athletes, and Oweh is really good, too. I think there will be a big dropoff in that area. Hopefully better shooting, but will that be enough to make up for not improving at the 5 and not getting a true star (unless Miles surprises me)?

Jones is a plus athlete
Nwankwo plus athlete
Miles/Elvis - better than Uzan/McCollum & more athletic?? Maybe a push at those two spots.
Wague better than Hugley athletically/defensively.

Again, going to be weird, Godwin is going to get 25 min a game at the 5. Wague the rest? Norweather mins at the back up 4 maybe?4

Also, were we offering $1 million to Richmond to now get Wague & Nwankwo for that or did we save & not spend all the money?

Also, were we offering $1 million to Richmond to now get Wague & Nwankwo for that or did we save & not spend all the money?

At most places right now I do not think it works as a pot you can just use however you choose. You ask for NIL funds for certain players and if it doesn’t happen it doesn’t happen.

I honestly don't think it will even be close to last year. Waldo and Cooper are close to Moore as athletes, and Oweh is really good, too. I think there will be a big dropoff in that area. Hopefully better shooting, but will that be enough to make up for not improving at the 5 and not getting a true star (unless Mi.
I wanted cooper to stay. Always watched him in warm ups. But from what I saw in the games he played and in warm up’s, he was not close to the athlete Moore is. Maybe he needs time to adjust, but from what I saw, that is a huge stretch.

Jones is a plus athlete
Nwankwo plus athlete
Miles/Elvis - better than Uzan/McCollum & more athletic?? Maybe a push at those two spots.
Wague better than Hugley athletically/defensively.

Again, going to be weird, Godwin is going to get 25 min a game at the 5. Wague the rest? Norweather mins at the back up 4 maybe?4

I really don't understanding calling Wague athletic. I think strong, or skilled (touch around the rim, awareness, etc) is a much better description than what I saw. Doesn't look to me like he moves really well, or is explosive. I'm not saying he's an oaf, he isn't, but he's not a springy, bouncy, athletic big like we've been chasing. He's a big with some size and strength, and there is value in that, but when I watch film, I don't think athleticism.

I know it totally depends how you group guys, but if it's like this:

2023 guards:
McCollum, Oweh, Uzan, Soares, Darthard, Cooper

2024 guards:
Miles, Elvis, Jones, Goodine, Forsythe

I'm probably going to say we didn't improve overall. Shooting should be better. That's about all I could conceded at this point.
Depth. Athleticism. Upside/ceiling. Competitive experience. I'd side with 2023. I guess the 2024 group is older/more mature.

We'll see.

I wouldn’t say you are wrong at all, and of course none of us will know until next year.

For next year, I’m taking more from the 2024 group than the 2023 group. Long term? Give me more from the 2023 group. Opinions will vary.

Back