MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Asking a serious question. Is there a perception issue when it comes to how players are viewed? For instance, Sean Pedulla is a really good scorer, but has a low IQ imo. I hear a lot of people talk about how heady of a player he is. I’ve heard several people on this board refer to Wague as an athletic upgrade over Godwin. Wague is a stiff. And Godwin is explosive off of the floor and more athletic.

Can coaches have those same preconceived notions?
I sure as heck hope any college coach is smart enough to recognize who is athletic and who isn’t. And of course, that is a broad term. Some players are more athletic in certain areas than others. If any coach thinks someone is or isn’t athletic based on their race, I can’t imagine them making it to the D-1 level.

Can I help you with anything else?

1) What is your source for these numbers? No offense, and I'm not trying to start something, but you're bad with numbers. I'm not implying that you're stupid, flunked math in school, or are hard to have a conversation with. I'm just sharing something I noticed.

2) Those numbers are mostly based on one year (2022). His 2024 numbers are less than Lon's final year. It's not a consistent thing.

3) Lon offered fewer white people this past season (if your numbers are correct). Does that mean he doesn't like white players as much anymore?

Asking a serious question. Is there a perception issue when it comes to how players are viewed? For instance, Sean Pedulla is a really good scorer, but has a low IQ imo. I hear a lot of people talk about how heady of a player he is. I’ve heard several people on this board refer to Wague as an athletic upgrade over Godwin. Wague is a stiff. And Godwin is explosive off of the floor and more athletic.

Can coaches have those same preconceived notions?
100%. Everyone sees things different.

I haven’t watched a ton of Pedulla in college but I wouldn’t classify as low iq. I don’t consider Sam a great athlete. He’s really smart and reads rebounds really really well. Like Rodman. (Not saying he’s Dennis) Dennis and Sam get excited about rebounding

1) What is your source for these numbers? No offense, and I'm not trying to start something, but you're bad with numbers. I'm not implying that you're stupid, flunked math in school, or are hard to have a conversation with. I'm just sharing something I noticed.
I literally said I pulled them from the offers list at the 247 site. Easiest way to go about it.

And I'm not bad with numbers. That is laughable. I think I posted one or two things this season that were a little off, and now I'm "bad with numbers."

You can feel that way if you want. I honestly don't care. But I can promise you when I post something like that stat, I take the time to make sure I've got things correct. I'm thorough, but I'm also human, and incredibly busy at times with work and life. Meanwhile you all get giddy as school girls when a certain someone posts stats, and it took him until 75% of the way thru Portal season to figure out he should probably apply some kind of handicap when comparing stats amongst players that played polar opposite schedules in terms of competition. That's why I like efficiency stats that factor in the level of competition and junk time stats. Much easier to find in football, but you have to at least acknowledge that when comparing basketball stats if you can't find anything better.

I literally said I pulled them from the offers list at the 247 site. Easiest way to go about it.

And I'm not bad with numbers. That is laughable. I think I posted one or two things this season that were a little off, and now I'm "bad with numbers."

You can feel that way if you want. I honestly don't care. But I can promise you when I post something like that stat, I take the time to make sure I've got things correct. I'm thorough, but I'm also human, and incredibly busy at times with work and life. Meanwhile you all get giddy as school girls when a certain someone posts stats, and it took him until 75% of the way thru Portal season to figure out he should probably apply some kind of handicap when comparing stats amongst players that played polar opposite schedules in terms of competition. That's why I like efficiency stats that factor in the level of competition and junk time stats. Much easier to find in football, but you have to at least acknowledge that when comparing basketball stats if you can't find anything better.

So you noticed something 3 years ago and are mentioning it this year? He didn't offer very many white players in the portal this year or out of HS based on your numbers. Which again, I don't trust your numbers. But it's not because I think your IQ is comparable to my shoe size. It's just something I noticed.

100%. Everyone sees things different.

I haven’t watched a ton of Pedulla in college but I wouldn’t classify as low iq. I don’t consider Sam a great athlete. He’s really smart and reads rebounds really really well. Like Rodman. (Not saying he’s Dennis) Dennis and Sam get excited about rebounding
I think Porter plays into some of that. When he sees more potential in Northweather and Jacob Groves than Oweh and Cooper. I don’t think he’s racist, but has a type of player he perceives.

I also don’t think he is good at developing athletes . I’m reminded of two rants he went on about TCU and Kansas referring to how athletic they were. Those teams had decent athletes, but not great ones.

I think Porter plays into some of that. When he sees more potential in Northweather and Tanner Graves than Oweh and Cooper. I don’t think she’s racist, but has a type of player he perceives.

I also don’t think he is good at developing athletes . I’m reminded of two rants he went on about TCU and Kansas referring to how athletic they were. Those teams had decent athletes, but not great ones.

How did you come to the conclusion that he saw more potential in Norweather than Oweh? Oweh was a bigger priority in recruiting and played way more minutes.

How did you come to the conclusion that he saw more potential in Norweather than Oweh? Oweh was a bigger priority in recruiting and played way more minutes.
Norweather than Cooper. Jacob Groves than Oweh.

Based on the minutes he gave them. Northweather isn’t very talented and he rode with him during times you probably should have went small.

I mean the guy rebounded and defended the bigs worse than guards. He’s high on him.

I think he has a type of what he views as a skilled basketball player. If I’m correct, Jacob Groves was a walk on at Eastern Washington and became a starter at OU. Northweather was a low major recruit who picked up OU late.

I get some of your hate for Moser. He has been a disappointment so far. But he is the head coach at OU and I’m going to root for us to win every game next year. I don’t get bashing kids that WANT to play for the University of Oklahoma that haven’t even suited up for us yet in a game.

Which again, I don't trust your numbers. But it's not because I think your IQ is comparable to my shoe size. It's just something I noticed.
It would take you about a minute to check one year of data I posted. Less than 10 minutes to check all six years.

Go check it or shut up about "not trusting it." The numbers are accurate based on 247. Is 247 accurate? No idea.

Where is that happening?
Exactly. It is a false and disingenuous statement. No one is bashing or hoping any of our players fail. I have been very outspoken in predicting that Forsythe won’t make a big impact and in saying that I think the hype is out of control simply be she’s so many people want him to be a plucky success story. That is not the same as bashing the kid. If anything, it is questioning the staff’s assessment that he is the kind of player who can help us succeed.

There are hundreds if not thousands of Oklahoma high school kids who would love to play for OU. Whether they should be one of only two high school recruits in a given year and counted on to be a difference maker is a separate question entirely. We aren’t debating whether Forsythe is a good kid and loyal OU fan.

Exactly. It is a false and disingenuous statement. No one is bashing or hoping any of our players fail. I have been very outspoken in predicting that Forsythe won’t make a big impact and in saying that I think the hype is out of control simply be she’s so many people want him to be a plucky success story. That is not the same as bashing the kid. If anything, it is questioning the staff’s assessment that he is the kind of player who can help us succeed.
You get riled up when a few posters are, in your view, too excited about an incoming player--both at the time and months later, when you clearly relish calling posters out--but then you can't understand why some are bothered when you make it a point to repeatedly discount an incoming player's potential. Can you not see the irony in that?

It's two sides of the same coin. If it's problematic (as you've repeatedly insisted) to get too excited about a player, then it's just as wrong to proactively dismiss a player before he's even on campus. You can't have it both ways.

You get riled up when a few posters are, in your view, too excited about an incoming player--both at the time and months later, when you clearly relish calling posters out--but then you can't understand why some are bothered when you make it a point to repeatedly discount an incoming player's potential. Can you not see the irony in that?

It's two sides of the same coin. If it's problematic (as you've repeatedly insisted) to get too excited about a player, then it's just as wrong to proactively dismiss a player before he's even on campus. You can't have it both ways.
Again, I have never once suggested that posters are not entitled to hype all our players as the second coming. But when they do. I will point out how foolish they are. And on the occasions I have been wrong (Soares, Moore), it is fair for people to call me out, although unlike some of the people who hype our guys and then never admit they were off base, I was quick to admit I was wrong on those guys.

Once more, it is a message board about OU basketball. If I want to give my predictions and assessment of OU basketball players, I am going to give it. If you and others want to discuss every 3-star as if he will be a program savior, have at it. When I point out how silly that makes you look, I am not saying that you don't have the right to say it.

Again, I have never once suggested that posters are not entitled to hype all our players as the second coming. But when they do. I will point out how foolish they are. And on the occasions I have been wrong (Soares, Moore), it is fair for people to call me out, although unlike some of the people who hype our guys and then never admit they were off base, I was quick to admit I was wrong on those guys.

Once more, it is a message board about OU basketball. If I want to give my predictions and assessment of OU basketball players, I am going to give it. If you and others want to discuss every 3-star as if he will be a program savior, have at it. When I point out how silly that makes you look, I am not saying that you don't have the right to say it.
A FEW posters - “I think Forsyte can surprise some people and be a solid 4 year player.”

WS - “it’s laughable everyone thinks he’s going to be the savior of OU basketball.”

Are you a contrarian in all aspects of life? If someone says “I love Chilis, I always have a great time with my family”, do you usually to tell them that Chilis is trash and here is a long list of the reasons why? I know this is a message board, but sometimes it’s best to let things go. You may be right, but going out of your way to tell someone they are wrong isn’t helpful.

A FEW posters - “I think Forsyte can surprise some people and be a solid 4 year player.”

WS - “it’s laughable everyone thinks he’s going to be the savior of OU basketball.”
Keep lying if you want. People have said he will start games in year one. People have posted highlights from summer pickup games and started threads about how LEGIT he is. People frequently list him as our backup PG even though we all see that Moser rarely trusts freshmen enough to play them meaningful minutes.

And it isn't just him. Last summer, ADA came after me for questioning the reports about Luke being a great shooter who would stretch the floor and be a key part of the team. People were giddy when reports came out (from CW Moser, Bob P, and Lusk) that said he may even start. And let's not forget that every season, the talk is about how deep we are and how tough it will be to settle on a rotation because we have 10 guys who are capable of being good, rotation players. It's a never-ending cycle. Again, people are welcome to post whatever they want. And I am free to point out how silly it is.

Back