MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Meh. I don't really want both him and Pedulla. Nothing about JM isn't replaceable. I hate replacing all of our top 5 guards (JM, Uzan, Soares, Oweh, and Darthard), but holding onto JM doesn't do a ton for me personally.

Remember when my biggest complaint about Moser was a general "state of the program", well, this stuff is a big part of it. If Moser can't get kids on campus, keep them for 2-3 years, and DEVELOP them he is worthless to OU as a basketball coach. So far he's shown he can get them here, but not the other two things.
He said Jalon, not Javian.

But I do agree, I don't think losing Javian is honestly that big of a deal if you can replace with someone better in the portal.

I don't think Javian has the body to be able to compete in high level college ball.

I think losing Oweh, Uzan, and McCollum are bad from the standpoint that it looks like Moser can't keep ANY continuity year to year. That's troubling, but I think there's a lot of coaches out there with that issue right now. The portal makes this a free for all.

However, when I look at those three specifically in a vacuum, without having continuity on my mind, I'm not sure we really go anywhere with them.

So you have to take your pick, do you want continuity, even if that means losing out on players in the portal that are better talent wise? Or do you want the best talent, but have to re-teach your philosophy to a new group of guys each year?

I tend to lean towards the latter in today's game, but I understand the argument for the former.

Last edited:
So losing 2 “starters”, one as a freshman is nothing? Ok… it’s not just about a number. But ya you’re the “coach” so your opinion means soo much more. 🤣🤣

Who said nothing?

Meh. I don't really want both him and Pedulla. Nothing about JM isn't replaceable. I hate replacing all of our top 5 guards (JM, Uzan, Soares, Oweh, and Darthard), but holding onto JM doesn't do a ton for me personally.

Remember when my biggest complaint about Moser was a general "state of the program", well, this stuff is a big part of it. If Moser can't get kids on campus, keep them for 2-3 years, and DEVELOP them he is worthless to OU as a basketball coach. So far he's shown he can get them here, but not the other two things.
Maybe, but I said Jalon. Like Jalon Moore lol

I agree, my point was losing two guys who were 2 of our “better” recruits under him and folks still think he’s the right guy
There are really good coaches out there losing freshman players.

Just because recruits are leaving doesn't mean the coach isn't a good coach or the right guy.
It could mean that in our case but not necessarily

There are really good coaches out there losing freshman players.

Just because recruits are leaving doesn't mean the coach isn't a good coach or the right guy.
It could mean that in our case but not necessarily
No matter how you slice it, it's not good. What good does it do to have a good recruiting class if those guys hit the door after 1 or 2 years? And maybe it's just a function of college basketball as a whole, but the university needs to figure it out or we'll be doormats for the foreseeable future.

My bad. We were talking about McCollum, so that is what I read.

What a cluster the roster is right now.
It’s a total mess. It’s one thing if you lose guys looking for more playing time or lose an occasional core guy. But three straight years where Moser can’t keep starters in the fold.

We really need Pedulla or Garrison to commit before the dead period or this place will be a mess.

I like McCollum as a player but he seems alittle frail...which seems to be one of the knocks coming in.

Losing him would be a little bit of a bummer but guards are way more replaceable than bigs. Moore would be a much bigger loss.

I was never as high on Uzan as some. He just played too nonchalant for my taste. I'm not saying he is not a good player I'm just not a huge fan of what I saw. You'd see small snippets then nothing for minutes upon minutes.

It is tough to see the roster turnover. Some of that has to be on PM I agree. Some of it is NIL and free transfers. Either way we need to get that part figured out.

I like McCollum as a player but he seems alittle frail...which seems to be one of the knocks coming in.

Losing him would be a little bit of a bummer but guards are way more replaceable than bigs. Moore would be a much bigger loss.

I was never as high on Uzan as some. He just played too nonchalant for my taste. I'm not saying he is not a good player I'm just not a huge fan of what I saw. You'd see small snippets then nothing for minutes upon minutes.

It is tough to see the roster turnover. Some of that has to be on PM I agree. Some of it is NIL and free transfers. Either way we need to get that part figured out.
Uzan did not live up to his potential or even develop much at all here. I think he bears some of the blame and the coach bears some of the blame.

It’s a total mess. It’s one thing if you lose guys looking for more playing time or lose an occasional core guy. But three straight years where Moser can’t keep starters in the fold.
which starters have we really missed that have left?

I don't think it is fair to say it is a total mess until the dust has settled on what the roster looks like for next year

I don't think it is fair to say it is a total mess until the dust has settled on what the roster looks like for next year
Gibson and Hill are the two most glaring examples. Gibson is the only good shooter we have had in the three years Moser has been here. Hill was a very good all around player who could guard four or five spots and who Moser himself considered the glue to the team.

More to the point, the constant turnover in and of itself is damaging to the roster. It would be one thing if we had turnover because we were constantly losing guys to the pros and replacing them with other pros. And if you don't miss starters who are leaving (and I agree that some of them haven't been that significant), then that speaks to what a poor job he has done constructing the roster in the first place.

It’s hard to see many positives with ou basketball rn.

Guessing that our alleged “increase in NIL” was predictably met with other programs simply increasing their offers. We are not a serious player in men’s revenue sports until we start offering top 10 NIL. It really is as simple as that.

If we lose McCollum to the Portal that means OU is replacing 6 of our top 8 players from last year.

It is going to be impossible for OU to consistently be a top 30ish team doing that. We can't recruit well enough from HS, or pay enough for the Portal, for that to be a winning formula for us.

Gibson and Hill are the two most glaring examples. Gibson is the only good shooter we have had in the three years Moser has been here. Hill was a very good all around player who could guard four or five spots and who Moser himself considered the glue to the team.

More to the point, the constant turnover in and of itself is damaging to the roster. It would be one thing if we had turnover because we were constantly losing guys to the pros and replacing them with other pros. And if you don't miss starters who are leaving (and I agree that some of them haven't been that significant), then that speaks to what a poor job he has done constructing the roster in the first place.
I'm curious on your take on a guy like Jerome Tang?

Has a great year in the portal last year....this year finishes just below OU in the standings.

Loses a 2 year starter to the portal already in Cam Carter this year.

I think a lot of guys on here would kill to have Tang.....but I would counter with the fact that I don't think he would be as effective here because KSU has sold their soul with NIL since he got there and I don't think he'd get that here.

Just my thought....no proof

Back