MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

If we lose McCollum to the Portal that means OU is replacing 6 of our top 8 players from last year.

It is going to be impossible for OU to consistently be a top 30ish team doing that. We can't recruit well enough from HS, or pay enough for the Portal, for that to be a winning formula for us.
Maybe not consistently, but the way college basketball is you can put a team together that can win. I know they were almost not in the tournament but everyone who played for NC State is a transfer and 5/7 are first year transfers. Burns is a second year transfer.

Maybe not consistently, but the way college basketball is you can put a team together that can win. I know they were almost not in the tournament but everyone who played for NC State is a transfer and 5/7 are first year transfers. Burns is a second year transfer.
Good coaches can do that. Moser has had three cracks at the portal now and has as many tournament appearances as I do.

For those unhappy with the product, wouldn't you be happy to see the product dismantled and started anew?

Keeping our freshman and recruits currently.

Also, as a reminder:

SummaryGPTSTRBASTFG%FG3%FT%eFG%PERWS
Pedulla23-24
32​
16.4​
4.3​
4.6​
42.4​
32.5​
80.1​
48.9​
18.1​
3​
Career
102​
12.1​
3​
3.2​
42.1​
35.5​
83.3​
49.9​
17.2​
8.3​
Milos23-24
32​
9​
3.4​
4.4​
39.2​
29.6​
67.6​
45​
11.5​
2.1​
Career
64​
8.3​
3.1​
3.7​
42.4​
33.9​
71.8​
48.8​
11.1​
3.7​
Overton23-24
35​
11.3​
3.3​
1.1​
44​
34.6​
79.5​
54.1​
14.5​
3.6​
Career
35​
11.3​
3.3​
1.1​
44​
34.6​
79.5​
54.1​
14.5​
3.6​
Soares23-24
30​
9.4​
4.9​
1.4​
54.7​
39.2​
80.4​
64.3​
20​
3.5​
Career
101​
7​
3.7​
1.3​
44.4​
30.1​
79.5​
51.4​
13.4​
6.7​
Garrison23-24
32​
7.5​
5.3​
1.5​
57.2​
64.8​
57.2​
17.8​
2.2​
Career
32​
7.5​
5.3​
1.5​
57.2​
64.8​
57.2​
17.8​
2.2​
Godwin23-24
31​
6.7​
5.2​
0.7​
59.5​
65.2​
59.5​
19.9​
2.5​
Career
115​
6​
3.8​
0.6​
63​
25​
65.5​
63.1​
22.2​
8.5​
Pope23-24
33​
18.3​
3.9​
1.9​
41.8​
33.2​
81.7​
49​
18.8​
4​
Career
105​
15.5​
3.4​
1.5​
42.5​
33.3​
80.2​
49.6​
17.2​
9.4​
Javian23-24
30​
13.3​
2.6​
3.4​
40.4​
31.4​
94.3​
48.6​
15.1​
2.9​
Career
81​
12.2​
1.9​
3.1​
42.6​
34.7​
90.1​
51.2​
16.8​
7.2​

1711985143985.png

I'm in the minority.

The only thing I'll miss about Javian is his personality. His family is super sweet. Nice people. Javian has such a big smile, great kid.

But from a basketball playing standpoint, the kid couldn't play defense to save his life, he shot under 30% from 3P in Big 12 play, and is slight of build. I both appreciate his time at OU (his game winner vs OK St will be remembered even in a "lost" season) and look forward to OU (potentially) getting better.

Now, the task at hand is to get better, and I'll be patient to see if OU does that task.
I agree with you. None of the guys we’ve lost were getting us over the hump. However, we do have to get better. It’s going to be difficult to upgrade every position that we need to. Replacing 3 starters and the first 3 off the bench is tough.

For those unhappy with the product, wouldn't you be happy to see the product dismantled and started anew?

Keeping our freshman and recruits currently.

Also, as a reminder:

Pedulla23-24
32​
16.4​
4.3​
4.6​
42.4​
32.5​
80.1​
48.9​
18.1​
3​
Career
102​
12.1​
3​
3.2​
42.1​
35.5​
83.3​
49.9​
17.2​
8.3​
Milos23-24
32​
9​
3.4​
4.4​
39.2​
29.6​
67.6​
45​
11.5​
2.1​
Career
64​
8.3​
3.1​
3.7​
42.4​
33.9​
71.8​
48.8​
11.1​
3.7​
Overton23-24
35​
11.3​
3.3​
1.1​
44​
34.6​
79.5​
54.1​
14.5​
3.6​
Career
35​
11.3​
3.3​
1.1​
44​
34.6​
79.5​
54.1​
14.5​
3.6​
Soares23-24
30​
9.4​
4.9​
1.4​
54.7​
39.2​
80.4​
64.3​
20​
3.5​
Career
101​
7​
3.7​
1.3​
44.4​
30.1​
79.5​
51.4​
13.4​
6.7​
Garrison23-24
32​
7.5​
5.3​
1.5​
57.2​
64.8​
57.2​
17.8​
2.2​
Career
32​
7.5​
5.3​
1.5​
57.2​
64.8​
57.2​
17.8​
2.2​
Godwin23-24
31​
6.7​
5.2​
0.7​
59.5​
65.2​
59.5​
19.9​
2.5​
Career
115​
6​
3.8​
0.6​
63​
25​
65.5​
63.1​
22.2​
8.5​
Pope23-24
33​
18.3​
3.9​
1.9​
41.8​
33.2​
81.7​
49​
18.8​
4​
Career
105​
15.5​
3.4​
1.5​
42.5​
33.3​
80.2​
49.6​
17.2​
9.4​
Javian23-24
30​
13.3​
2.6​
3.4​
40.4​
31.4​
94.3​
48.6​
15.1​
2.9​
Career
81​
12.2​
1.9​
3.1​
42.6​
34.7​
90.1​
51.2​
16.8​
7.2​

View attachment 1193
The product we are unhappy with is the coaching. Again, he has had three very different rosters with different talent levels. We will now be on our fourth different group, and no matter who the faces are wearing our uniforms, they will play slow, ugly offense, rarely create turnovers, and struggle to beat good teams. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me four times, I must be a damn fool.

Okay, to put a bit of a positive spin on what seems like a shitty day, if we keep our two freshmen to go with the big men, we're really only replacing two non-basketball "athletes" and two one-year transfers. If we can upgrade and keep our freshmen in the loop, good, we are building. Those freshmen have to hit, though, and the jury is still out there. Because if we have another year of freshman busts (Uzan & Oweh) then we're in trouble. Not that we aren't in a bit of trouble now.

Someone HAS to do something about our NIL situation.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that he is a great player. I have been saying for months that his game was overrated and that he would struggle against Big 12 teams. But that doesn't change the fact that we now have to replace our entire backcourt (3 transfers and 3 graduates), are still woefully undermanned in the frontcourt, are unlikely to get anything from our freshmen (because, Moser), and are unlikely to be able to land any of the true game changers. I imagine JM is probably the kind of guy we will continue to be able to land -- guys a tier or two below the level that would land them at the top schools.

The other thing is, we saw lots of posts this season saying that the biggest reason not to fire Moser was because that would lead to a complete rebuild. Well . . . how would that differ from what we are dealing with now?
If I'm being honest, I wanted Moser gone after missing the tourney AGAIN. Some people will argue with me on it, and that's fine, but I sincerely feel like Moser mailed in the TCU game. Regardless, he allowed the team to collapse during the critical stretch and even if it's not all his fault (players have to be accountable too/there were some injuries), it's his program. The onus is on him to make the tourney, field a competitive roster, and build the program upwards. Three years, none of that is really happening.

I've said it several times, I fuccing hate his roster construction. Thoroughly. I truly feel that I, along with a couple of others on here, could sit in a room, contact kids, and build a better roster. I think I see/evaluate more kids than he/his staff. Maybe I'm wrong there, or a bit hyperbolic, but I see laziness. Not a "full-court press". They prefer to move in silence. The program needs freshness, excitement...even in portal recruiting. We have to settle for leaked info given to a teenager (no offense to the kid) or Bob when he's not on the softball beat. I HATE THAT. It sucks. You want to build a fanbase, you want to stop having to knock on the frats' doors? You want butts in the seats? Create some excitement (yes, winning is important too, wouldn't argue otherwise). One way to do that is on social media. There wasn't even a Happy Easter post from the basketball program. Come on, man. I could write a million word essay on the **** that's lacking right now. We talked about it during the Cincy game. They needed to sell that game as important and we got one tweet about $2 concessions. There are a ton of students you could work-study. Get after it.

Got sidetracked lol...back to the roster...

Maks...wtf were we doing there? Why bring in a kid if he can't play at this level and/or you don't really play him anyway (outside of having to because of injuries)? Counting Maks, an open scholarship, Yaya....I mean, you're entering every single game at least -3 in scholarships (in the toughest league in CBB). You could count Cole as well (due to the injury/redshirt). Maybe Cooper (rawness/not playing him). The roster was better this last season but it still wasn't very good and it certainly wasn't complete. Then you could point to the holes in each rostered kid's game...save for Soares/Moore. Example: OU's 3P% actually went down in '23-24. Godwin is limited, Oweh and Los aren't shooters, etc.

I'm so off-the-wall...

We all know how Joe C operates. He's been a great AD in a lot of ways. I don't want to be overly negative here but there was no way he was going to fire Moser. Just not the way Joe C does things. OU MBB is practically an afterthought. Generate a little profit, everyone goes home happy enough. Yet another tourney missed, there is no feet being held to fire so to speak. No pressure. There are no pitchforks being held in Joe C's front yard. If this was football, Moser would be fired already.

...so naturally, I'm going to be a homer for who we're stuck with, outwardly anyway. I want OU to care about hoops, I want them to focus on building an on-campus arena, I want them to be a winning/competitive program on par with Iowa State, Tennessee, Alabama, whoever else we could list that isn't a bluebood (that's too lofty). None of that is happening right now. I'm sad about it. Wish I could help change things.

Since I'm left to having to homer for Moser, tear it all fuccing down again. Why the hell not. Last year's roster missed the tourney and became a pain in my ass to watch.

I'd prefer to keep Moore but I won't blame the kid if he wants to find a program that has a better staff and a bigger commitment to basketball.

Will this staff build a better roster? I'm left with hope and doubt. Sad. Outwardly, I'm going to choose hope, most of the time, or be a homer, lol.

If I'm being honest, I wanted Moser gone after missing the tourney AGAIN. Some people will argue with me on it, and that's fine, but I sincerely feel like Moser mailed in the TCU game. Regardless, he allowed the team to collapse during the critical stretch and even if it's not all his fault (players have to be accountable too/there were some injuries), it's his program. The onus is on him to make the tourney, field a competitive roster, and build the program upwards. Three years, none of that is really happening.

I've said it several times, I fuccing hate his roster construction. Thoroughly. I truly feel that I, along with a couple of others on here, could sit in a room, contact kids, and build a better roster. I think I see/evaluate more kids than he/his staff. Maybe I'm wrong there, or a bit hyperbolic, but I see laziness. Not a "full-court press". They prefer to move in silence. The program needs freshness, excitement...even in portal recruiting. We have to settle for leaked info given to a teenager (no offense to the kid) or Bob when he's not on the softball beat. I HATE THAT. It sucks. You want to build a fanbase, you want to stop having to knock on the frats' doors? You want butts in the seats? Create some excitement (yes, winning is important too, wouldn't argue otherwise). One way to do that is on social media. There wasn't even a Happy Easter post from the basketball program. Come on, man. I could write a million word essay on the **** that's lacking right now. We talked about it during the Cincy game. They needed to sell that game as important and we got one tweet about $2 concessions. There are a ton of students you could work-study. Get after it.

Maks...wtf were we doing there? Why bring in a kid if he can't play at this level and/or you don't really play him anyway (outside of having to because of injuries)? Counting Maks, an open scholarship, Yaya....I mean, you're entering every single game at least -3 in scholarships (in the toughest league in CBB). You could count Cole as well (due to the injury/redshirt). Maybe Cooper (rawness/not playing him). The roster was better this last season but it still wasn't very good and it certainly wasn't complete. Then you could point to the holes in each rostered kid's game...save for Soares/Moore. Example: OU's 3P% actually went down in '23-24. Godwin is limited, Oweh and Los aren't shooters, etc.

I'm so off-the-wall...

We all know how Joe C operates. He's been a great AD in a lot of ways. I don't want to be overly negative here but there was no way he was going to fire Moser. Just not the way Joe C does things. OU MBB is practically an afterthought. Generate a little profit, everyone goes home happy enough. Yet another tourney missed, there is no feet being held to fire so to speak. No pressure. There are no pitchforks being held in Joe C's front yard. If this was football, Moser would be fired already.

...so naturally, I'm going to be a homer for who we're stuck with, outwardly anyway. I want OU to care about hoops, I want them to focus on building an on-campus arena, I want them to be a winning/competitive program on par with Iowa State, Tennessee, Alabama, whoever else we could list that isn't a bluebood (that's too lofty). None of that is happening right now. I'm sad about it. Wish I could help change things.

Since I'm left to having to homer for Moser, tear it all fuccing down again. Why the hell not. Last year's roster missed the tourney and became a pain in my ass to watch.

I'd prefer to keep Moore but I won't blame the kid if he wants to find a program that has a better staff and a bigger commitment to basketball.

Will this staff build a better roster? I'm left with hope and doubt. Sad. Outwardly, I'm going to go hope, most of the time, or be a homer, lol.
Hire Will Wade

I'm so off-the-wall...

Will this staff build a better roster? I'm left with hope and doubt. Sad. Outwardly, I'm going to choose hope, most of the time, or be a homer, lol.
Three things are keeping me from feeling the way you do about Moser:

1) We SHOULD have been in the tourney 2 of the 3 years. This year, had Virginia hit a damn free throw, we were in.
2) He's hamstrung with no budget. He's piecing teams together with his 2nd, 3rd and 4th options. That's not his fault.
3) I have someone on the inside telling me every time I ask that it's not Moser's fault. And I believe that person. We're just going to be back here with the next coach again until they fix what's structurally broken in the athletic department.

But yes, on a day like today, I'm thinking we should just move on and see if anyone can do a better job with a skeleton budget...

1) We SHOULD have been in the tourney 2 of the 3 years. This year, had Virginia hit a damn free throw, we were in.
2) He's hamstrung with no budget. He's piecing teams together with his 2nd, 3rd and 4th options. That's not his fault.
3) I have someone on the inside telling me every time I ask that it's not Moser's fault. And I believe that person. We're just going to be back here with the next coach again until they fix what's structurally broken in the athletic department.

But yes, on a day like today, I'm thinking we should just move on and see if anyone can do a better job with a skeleton budget...
The fact that he's had no budget is a problem. FFS, Love's tossing in 3 to 4 million in NIL would make things more competitive if they wanted to. Not like they are hurting for money either.

Point one is your opinion. And arguing we "should" have been in both years is inconsistent. The only thing people point to in year one is our NET. Well, this year our NET was well short of where it needed to be. And instead of relying on Virginia to do our bidding, maybe we could have actually earned our way by, you knowing, beating someone other than OSU.

It kills me not being in the tourney. But from an objective standpoint, this tournament has been so much better due to NC State being part of it.

I'm so off-the-wall...

I am very much torn between these two philosophies.

Yes, we should have made the tournament 2 of the 3 years and got hosed by the committee...no idea if we could have won a game or two bc we were never given that chance.

Do I like the idea of Moser, absolutely. His execution? A lot left to be desired. My biggest issue with Moser is the x's and o's with in-game play. We saw it against BYU and other teams (like Cincy for crying out loud) that executed so much better the 4-out/5-out motion offense. Our off ball movement was ATROCIOUS. I cannot stand how much we stand around and don't back-cut or fill space. I suppose some blame could go to the roster not "getting" the offense, maybe? But I mean, in reality is is basic motion stuff. The high screen p-n-r is where it gets tricky but that is no excuse for no backside movement. The coach HAS to instill that in them and run them into the ground on moving without the ball.

But a new roster becomes new possibilities and I like the guards we have contacted. But how many times can we be fooled by hype until we are bubbling again and left holding the bag. I said, beginning of the season that I am out on Moser if we miss the tournament this year. We missed, and I am partially with my word. We missed so close...it keeps me hanging on. For better or worse.

That being said, I want Bucky Ball more than anything and would help fund the $3m buyout payment with an OnlyFans to get him here. I am all for Bucky McMillan since we missed out on Grant MacCasland.

I agree with you. None of the guys we’ve lost were getting us over the hump. However, we do have to get better. It’s going to be difficult to upgrade every position that we need to. Replacing 3 starters and the first 3 off the bench is tough.
I think it's tough playing the portal game (even without NIL) and keep a steady roster. So we brought in a bunch of guys and found out we weren't really good enough. If you want to get better at pretty much everywhere except Moore you're going to have to go portal shopping again. But, you just got last year's portal class on the promise of playing time--naturally when that's taken away, they are going to go elsewhere.

Anyway, if you build your team through the portal, there's going to be turnover and it is going to be hard to stay consistently good year to year. But, the good years might be better and the worse years might be total flops (see Arkansas under Muss).

Point one is your opinion. And arguing we "should" have been in both years is inconsistent. The only thing people point to in year one is our NET. Well, this year our NET was well short of where it needed to be. And instead of relying on Virginia to do our bidding, maybe we could have actually earned our way by, you knowing, beating someone other than OSU.

It kills me not being in the tourney. But from an objective standpoint, this tournament has been so much better due to NC State being part of it.
There's nothing inconsistent about saying we should have been in both years for different reasons. Hell, this year, we WOULD have been in except for an historic championship weekend.

We're still blaming it on NIL that Moser couldn't develop Uzan or Oweh? Or Cooper during the ENTIRE season?

Yeah. Sure. NIL. Sure wish we had the NIL budget of FAU, or SDS, or Utah State, or.....(I could go on and on and on).

We probably can't win the Big 12/SEC or have a legit top 15 team with our current finances. I'll agree with that. But to suggest we can't compete at a higher level than we've been competing at.....I cannot get behind that. Little to no development is all I've seen from Moser since he got to OU. I guarantee OU can find a coach that can develop this type of talent and get then to play tougher and more consistent basketball.

We're still blaming it on NIL that Moser couldn't develop Uzan or Oweh? Or Cooper during the ENTIRE season?

Yeah. Sure. NIL. Sure wish we had the NIL budget of FAU, or SDS, or Utah State, or.....(I could go on and on and on).

We probably can't win the Big 12/SEC or have a legit top 15 team with our current finances. I'll agree with that. But to suggest we can't compete at a higher level than we've been competing at.....I cannot get behind that. Little to no development is all I've seen from Moser since he got to OU. I guarantee OU can find a coach that can develop this type of talent and get then to play tougher and more consistent basketball.
I'm not sure I've seen anyone blaming NIL for the lack of development of those two. What I saw was a lack of basketball IQ - especially with Uzan. Basketball IQ is something you'd evaluate not develop. You're not going to develop much of that in college. Skills, well, that's where Oweh lacked. And it didn't seem to get better.

Those two were definitely a miss. Whether it was development or evaluation doesn't really matter. They were a miss.

Back