MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

You clearly imply that he is going to stay in the draft, go undrafted, and end up in the G League. If that’s not the point of your post, then what is? There is zero downside for him entering him name, getting feedback, weighing his options, and then coming back to college. So why the “dammit” reaction?
I clearly imply that?

I said dammit because I’d rather them not enter the draft, which is exactly what he said. He literally said he’s going to the draft. Players get bad advice and it is possible he stays in the draft even if he shouldnt

I clearly imply that?

I said dammit because I’d rather them not enter the draft, which is exactly what he said. He literally said he’s going to the draft. Players get bad advice and it is possible he stays in the draft even if he shouldnt
You’re right, some players do get bad advice and make bad decisions. There are also many, many guys who do it the right way and come back to school a better player because of the input they received. I can’t imagine that any team will tell Moore he is a realistic draft candidate this year. Unless he just decides he doesn’t want to deal with another year of college, I think it’s highly likely he will either come back to OU or portal.

So, I woke up this morning with this realization.

This year just hasn't been out year.

(hope) We start the season crushing it in NC, metrics agree. Big win vs Iowa st. Rolling
(dashed) Oweh gets the yips, we don't lose bad games til UT, Taco tech, UCF

(hope) almost beat Houston, play hard
(dashed) Houston wins, Hugley injury, Soares injury

(hope) not a bubble team, no q2+ losses, finally in the tournament!
(dashed) tons of conf upsets, first team out

(hope) Moore stays...
(dashed) tbd

I suppose I am just expecting bad news at this point.

Also:
(hope) DePaul hires Moser...
(dashed) OU hires Kellen... Lol jkjkjk

I don’t think it’s being overly negative or pessimistic to say that the current state of the program is closing in on crisis mode, if not already there.

This was a so-so, borderline Tournament team that didn’t get better as the year went on. That team is now basically losing the entire rotation. You could have argued that had you built on that so-so team that you could have made the jump from so-so to pretty good. Now it seems like Moser and company will need to be in total desperation/scramble mode just to get back to so-so again.

It all feels very inevitable currently.

I don’t think it’s being overly negative or pessimistic to say that the current state of the program is closing in on crisis mode, if not already there.

This was a so-so, borderline Tournament team that didn’t get better as the year went on. That team is now basically losing the entire rotation. You could have argued that had you built on that so-so team that you could have made the jump from so-so to pretty good. Now it seems like Moser and company will need to be in total desperation/scramble mode just to get back to so-so again.

It all feels very inevitable currently.
Agree with this. And, from a fan’s perspective, there doesn’t seem to be a sense of urgency. I know it’s early but OU is only seriously involved with maybe one guy? That doesn’t inspire confidence from the fan base.

Agree with this. And, from a fan’s perspective, there doesn’t seem to be a sense of urgency. I know it’s early but OU is only seriously involved with maybe one guy? That doesn’t inspire confidence from the fan base.
There is no sense of urgency because you literally have zero clue, outside of social media, on who they are talking to, etc

Off season around here is Chicken Little season. The sky is always falling.

Wait a month and you'll have some clarity.

There is no sense of urgency because you literally have zero clue, outside of social media, on who they are talking to, etc

Off season around here is Chicken Little season. The sky is always falling.

Wait a month and you'll have some clarity.

Why not just follow the trends of the last 3 years. #Groundhogday

And the coach didn’t lead that crew to the tournament…
I'm not defending Moser...I was pointing out the portal thoughts and that we don't know WHO or HOW MUCH they are talking to guys but we have people here panicking.

Our team this year was more talented than last year. Did they get to the tournament? No

We're they better? Yes

Can we add better talent? Yes

Give it a little time...thats all I'm saying.

I'm not defending Moser...I was pointing out the portal thoughts and that we don't know WHO or HOW MUCH they are talking to guys but we have people here panicking.

Our team this year was more talented than last year. Did they get to the tournament? No

We're they better? Yes

Can we add better talent? Yes

Give it a little time...thats all I'm saying.
I guess my point was, the reason there is panic or worry is that we have been down this road before and it has never worked out. I think we all understand that we will eventually sign a full allotment of scholarship players. But as of now, we don’t seem to be leading for any true difference makers, and Moser’s history makes it seem very unlikely we will land any out of the blue, whether it be now or several weeks from now.

I guess my point was, the reason there is panic or worry is that we have been down this road before and it has never worked out. I think we all understand that we will eventually sign a full allotment of scholarship players. But as of now, we don’t seem to be leading for any true difference makers, and Moser’s history makes it seem very unlikely we will land any out of the blue, whether it be now or several weeks from now.
That's fair.

I like to HOPE we are in on some guys that we aren't aware of yet or that hasn't really been public.

I will say this. I haven't been real thrilled about our situation with bigs for a couple of years. It always seems like lesser schools even have better bigs than us....or at least more athletic. I'd like to see that issue fixed.

That's fair.

I like to HOPE we are in on some guys that we aren't aware of yet or that hasn't really been public.

I will say this. I haven't been real thrilled about our situation with bigs for a couple of years. It always seems like lesser schools even have better bigs than us....or at least more athletic. I'd like to see that issue fixed.
We can’t develop big men, guards, or forwards. But other than that we’ve been great!

We can’t develop big men, guards, or forwards. But other than that we’ve been great!
Define develop?

Moore, Soares were our forwards and played better than they did last year. Godwin has improved year over year.

Guards, yes, that has been a disappointment.

Have we developed from recruiting to starters? No.

Have players improved from portal to our team (guard withstanding)? Yes.

Define develop?

Moore, Soares were our forwards and played better than they did last year. Godwin has improved year over year.

Guards, yes, that has been a disappointment.

Have we developed from recruiting to starters? No.

Have players improved from portal to our team (guard withstanding)? Yes.
Whatever makes you feel better

So he's right.
No he’s not. I love Sam but he’s basically the same player he’s been since he got here, he can’t hit an 8 foot shot and lets the other team play 5 on 4. We had Soares and Moore for one year so I can’t see how you can say we developed them. Did Darthard develop? Not really. Our guards have been abysmal.

No he’s not. I love Sam but he’s basically the same player he’s been since he got here, he can’t hit an 8 foot shot and lets the other team play 5 on 4. We had Soares and Moore for one year so I can’t see how you can say we developed them. Did Darthard develop? Not really. Our guards have been abysmal.
Offensively he was the same player. I thought he really improved his defense & rebounding this year.

It’s hilarious that the argument here is “oh no we HAVE developed our players! Look at Godwin, he plays better defense now!”

These players have barely developed a bit in Moser’s three years here. I realize a lot of that has to do with player turnover but it is what it is.

Also, I think we can safely stop redshirting players unless they’re injured. It makes no sense.

Back