MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

View attachment 1268

YARN | -What? -What are we doing? | Seinfeld (1989) - S09E21 The Clip Show  (1) (a.k.a. The Chronicle (1)) | Video clips by quotes | 4171a055 | 紗
Tommy Lloyd started the international pipeline at Gonzaga, and they had plenty of success with international players. Unless Lloyd lost his eye for talent, the kid may have potential and is just stuck behind better players at Zona. Averaged 14.1 points, 7.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists in seven games at the FIBA U19 World Cup for Serbia.

Last edited:
JM and Milos didn’t improve because they were at odds and it killed team chemistry. The two PG lineup back fired and that’s on the coaches. Strategic fail. Both played below expectations.

Oweh regressed later in the year bc he had a hard time adjusting his game to better competition (but actually improved at the end of the year once it was too late). But you can’t deny that he was a materially better player this year vs last year (and will probably be a better player next year too). All in, he was in line to above expectations.

Moore absolutely improved through the year and vs last year. Credit him and credit the coaches for putting him in a position to succeed. He was better than anyone expected.

Soares also improved through the year and vs last year - he started at Oregon but managed to consistently improve. Beat expectations.

Godwin is what he is — but he did what he was asked to do and was solid enough on offensive boards. In line with expectations.

Hugley had his moments, but ultimately didn’t have the conditioning needed to contribute. That’s on him, but also a poor eval. Hope we didn’t waste too much NIL. Below expectations.

Darthard was also up and down, but he did improve through the year. I’d say he met expectations (which were admittedly low).

Cooper didn’t play enough and expectations were higher. That’s on him and the coaches. Hope he gets better next year but for now he’s a miss.

All in - Moore and Soares outplayed expectations. Oweh is debatable but JM, Hugley and Milos underperformed. Godwin in line. I think part of the blame is on the players and part on the coaches. But the coaches should have a better idea today of what works and what doesn’t (hopefully) and it’s good to see the underperformers move on. Hopefully they can be replaced.
I think your post is well thought out and I basically agree with all of it.

I have some small quibbles, which doesn't really matter because I'm just a nobody. lol

Javian averaged 15.9 at Siena. With the big step up in competition, I think a 2.5 to 3 points per game drop would be a reasonable expectation. He dropped 2.6 points per game down to 13.3. Maybe other's expectations were higher than mine though.

Darthard averaged 13.8 at Utah State. With the step up in competition and reduced role, I think a 5.0 to 6.0 points per game drop would be reasonable. He dropped 7.1 points per game to 6.7. Not really that much of a drop to make much of difference in the season, but it would have been nice if he scored a little more off the bench.

Let's hope they can bring in better players this time around and they all meet or exceed expectations.

I think your post is well thought out and I basically agree with all of it.

I have some small quibbles, which doesn't really matter because I'm just a nobody. lol

Javian averaged 15.9 at Siena. With the big step up in competition, I think a 2.5 to 3 points per game drop would be a reasonable expectation. He dropped 2.6 points per game down to 13.3. Maybe other's expectations were higher than mine though.

Darthard averaged 13.8 at Utah State. With the step up in competition and reduced role, I think a 5.0 to 6.0 points per game drop would be reasonable. He dropped 7.1 points per game to 6.7. Not really that much of a drop to make much of difference in the season, but it would have been nice if he scored a little more off the bench.

Let's hope they can bring in better players this time around and they all meet or exceed expectations.
JM’s overall numbers were awful in league play. It’s not just his scoring average that was the issue. It was how inefficient he was.

Every thread until Porter is fired or wins a national championship at OU will unravel in the same way. There is no in-between.
He doesn't have to win a national championship to turn things around. He just has to start making the tourney on a regular basis and occasionally making some noise there. Fan expectations at OU are not unreasonable.

Considering all the NBA talk around him in the portal, I'd say expectations weren't unreasonable. So either everyone was wrong about him or he just plain didn't rise to the occasion.

It’s hilarious that the argument here is “oh no we HAVE developed our players! Look at Godwin, he plays better defense now!”

These players have barely developed a bit in Moser’s three years here. I realize a lot of that has to do with player turnover but it is what it is.
Just stating what Godwin improved on based on another’s comment. I’ll give you my overall opinion on Moser, which I’ve done before. You don’t have to freak out though.

He doesn't have to win a national championship to turn things around. He just has to start making the tourney on a regular basis and occasionally making some noise there. Fan expectations at OU are not unreasonable.
Fan expectations at OU are not unreasonable. This is an interesting comment. In theory I agree that making the tourney consistently is a fair expectation. But the game has changed so much in 3 years (NIL, portal, etc) — and I’m not so sure OU has adapted well enough (via donor support, facilities, etc) to maintain this expectation, unfortunately. The coaching staff could do better, but it’s not all on them.

Considering all the NBA talk around him in the portal, I'd say expectations weren't unreasonable. So either everyone was wrong about him or he just plain didn't rise to the occasion.
I’ve yet to have anyone show where any credible NBA draft expert or website so much as mentioned him. That said, his conference season was still a disappointment.

Fan expectations at OU are not unreasonable. This is an interesting comment. In theory I agree that making the tourney consistently is a fair expectation. But the game has changed so much in 3 years (NIL, portal, etc) — and I’m not so sure OU has adapted well enough (via donor support, facilities, etc) to maintain this expectation, unfortunately. The coaching staff could do better, but it’s not all on them.
Moser's lucky to be coaching in this era in one sense: It gives him several excuses that some fans are eager to cite in his defense. The "support" from the AD's office is no worse now than it was when Kruger was coaching, but I don't recall that lack of support ever being cited in Kruger's defense. And when Kruger took over a team with an "empty cupboard," he didn't have the portal to turn to like Moser did, but he made the tourney in year two. And NIL gets cited so often it's almost laughable, given how little any of us actually know--not just about our own NIL but about other programs. It's almost entirely rumors and stuff guys read on Twitter. Almost nothing actually sourced. Even an OU insider doesn't necessarily know what other schools are doing, but the Moser defenders seems convinced that virtually every program in the country but OU is paying out the big bucks. It's a little silly at this point.

The one thing Moser can control is getting the most of out of the talent he has, but he's not done so. OU fans turned out this season when the team was going well, and time after time, a large home crowd left disappointed after the team laid another egg at the LNC.

Moser's lucky to be coaching in this era in one sense: It gives him several excuses that some fans are eager to cite in his defense. The "support" from the AD's office is no worse now than it was when Kruger was coaching, but I don't recall that lack of support ever being cited in Kruger's defense. And when Kruger took over a team with an "empty cupboard," he didn't have the portal to turn to like Moser did, but he made the tourney in year two. And NIL gets cited so often it's almost laughable, given how little any of us actually know--not just about our own NIL but about other programs. It's almost entirely rumors and stuff guys read on Twitter. Almost nothing actually sourced. Even an OU insider doesn't necessarily know what other schools are doing, but the Moser defenders seems convinced that virtually every program in the country but OU is paying out the big bucks. It's a little silly at this point.

The one thing Moser can control is getting the most of out of the talent he has, but he's not done so. OU fans turned out this season when the team was going well, and time after time, a large home crowd left disappointed after the team laid another egg at the LNC.
Great NIL or not Moser should be thanking his lucky stars to still be coaching at OU right now. He has been given so much grace for his lack of success.

OU fans turned out this season when the team was going well, and time after time, a large home crowd left disappointed after the team laid another egg at the LNC.
OU basketball fans are fickle but last year proved that they will show up. Just gotta give them a reason to CONTINUE showing up. Personally, I went to two home games last year, and went home extremely disappointed. It makes it very very difficult to go to one next year. And I’m a pretty serious OU basketball fan. I can only imagine how unmotivated a casual fan will be to go to games next year. I expect a lot of empty seats in the LNC next year. But I guess that gives Moser more excuses. “He didn’t have the fan support he needed.” It’s just a big circle.

We all know Muss and Arky were very active in the portal....obviously they had the $$$. I read where Calipari asked them for more NIL funds to support hoops as part of his coming to Arky. Damn.

On top of paying him $8.5 mil per year.

And when Kruger took over a team with an "empty cupboard," he didn't have the portal to turn to like Moser did, but he made the tourney in year two.

I agree with what you said in the second paragraph, but it's a myth that LK inherited an empty cupboard. When I look at LK's SECOND team (the one which made the Dance), half of the top eight players were guys he inherited. The real gem was Romero Osby - a pretty good player to build one's team around when starting a new era. Having guys like Pledger, Clark, and Fitzgerald to support Osby is not a bad start to a new era. LK was a great coach so that was certainly part of the turnaround - but he had some talent to work with.

Not really that hard to assume other programs are spending more. Look what Arkansas just did. Providence winning out vs. OU in recruiting. Us losing out to Kansas every single time in the NIL era for players. (Not a surprise there though)

Also, we won't be able to compare Kruger to Moser much bc of how NIL has changed the game. Jay Wright retired for a reason, NIL is that reason. I think Kruger would be struggling bc Kruger is a stand-up, "clean the program", guy. And he did it very well. It is just a different era of basketball, and not in a good way IMO.

I agree with what you said in the second paragraph, but it's a myth that LK inherited an empty cupboard. When I look at LK's SECOND team (the one which made the Dance), half of the top eight players were guys he inherited. The real gem was Romero Osby - a pretty good player to build one's team around when starting a new era. Having guys like Pledger, Clark, and Fitzgerald to support Osby is not a bad start to a new era. LK was a great coach so that was certainly part of the turnaround - but he had some talent to work with.
Disagree with the empty cupboard as well. Not even close to the same that Moser had, but that excuse is wearing thin now bc we have a new team every year and still miss the tournament. At some point, something has to break. I am ready for Bucky-Ball.

Back