MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

I wouldn't term your comment below necessarily as rewriting history, but its factually untrue making excuses for our program:

That simply isn't true, as I've shown. Anybody arguing that it is true, or might be true, or really even that we don't know, is trying to recreate/rewrite history.
What are you even talking about? Are you denying that OU wouldn't have had roster turnover if the old transfer rules were still in place?
I didn't bring up NIL in that comment you quoted...it was simply about transferring...for whatever reason

Last year it seemed to come down to McCollum or Small to OU. I thought at the time they should have gone with Small. He had better overall numbers against tougher competition at East Carolina. I think this past year showed that Small was better. In Big 12 play, Small averaged 15.1, which was the same as his out of conference. McCollum averaged 14.7 in OOC and down to 12.3 in conference play. Small is also bigger and able to guard and rebound at a higher clip.
At the beginning of the year I thought McCollum was better than Small. Half way through the year I realized I was wrong. He would be an upgrade if OU were able to get involved with him. I’m hearing Texas.

Doesn't sound like OU + Maddox Jr got a visit scheduled. There were rumors it would happen after the dead period.

The 6-foot-2 point guard confirmed to Cardinal Authority that he will arrive in Louisville on Friday night for a campus visit all day Saturday. Maddox had narrowed his list to U of L, Creighton, Michigan, Xavier, Illinois, Kansas, TCU, and Oklahoma.

Maddox said he also plans on visiting Illinois and Xavier right after the U of L visit.

"It's going to be fast," Maddox told Cardinal Authority. "I plan on seeing Creighton and Michigan also at some point, but it will all be very fast. I will commit this month, I'll have this all done by the 21st (of April). I want to make sure that I make the right decision, but this is not going to be super long."

Exactly. Other than Hill, there hasn't been ANY NIL talk about players leaving the OU program. None. So we (some of YOU) don't get to recreate history here to fit a narrative.
We matched Mo nil offer, then he asked for more to stay and ou said you have our offer. Did he get more from other school? Don’t know. But he asked for more then ou was going to pay after we matched what he said was current offer. So I would say that we lost for NIl as we wouldn’t go higher.

We matched Mo nil offer, then he asked for more to stay and ou said you have our offer. Did he get more from other school? Don’t know. But he asked for more then ou was going to pay after we matched what he said was current offer. So I would say that we lost for NIl as we wouldn’t go higher.
NIL might have played a role, but all of the talk at the time was that he wanted to play PG and he wasn't going to get to do that at OU. We're all bias. I look at that and don't put that on NIL. Some taking the other side of the argument will absolutely blame NIL. If OU had agreed to let him play PG, I think he'd have stayed at OU regardless of any NIL difference (my opinion, not a fact).

NIL might have played a role, but all of the talk at the time was that he wanted to play PG and he wasn't going to get to do that at OU. We're all bias. I look at that and don't put that on NIL. Some taking the other side of the argument will absolutely blame NIL. If OU had agreed to let him play PG, I think he'd have stayed at OU regardless of any NIL difference (my opinion, not a fact).
Fair enough. Most are probably not only NIL or only something else but a combo.

We were told when Gibson left that it was because he wanted to play PG to improve his pro prospects. Now we've decided it was an NIL thing?

No. It was a chance to be PG. Sure, a lot of NIL might have persuaded him to stay, but we aren't getting beat out by places like Depaul for people we really want. I'd like to think you're finally willing to concede that programs like Arkansas have more money at their disposal, but we're not in such a bad situation that we can't compete with the worst schools in P5.

The cupboard was NOT empty when Moser arrived

LOL

And if Kruger had more decent players to start with (just one or two more, if that), he should get credit for that and/or Moser should get a debit for not being able to convince guys to stick around. If one is going to defend Moser by pointing to the supposedly empty cupboard he inherited, one had better praise Kruger for retaining players his first offseason.

You're digging pretty deep if you're trying to give Lon credit for retaining Osby. He had just sat out an entire season from transferring, so you really think he was going to sit out a second straight season and give up a year of eligibility? Somebody like Clark might have made sense to transfer, so I suppose he can get some credit there, but Moser had more work to do keeping a guy like Hill.

Last edited:
Back