MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Makes me wonder the cost of a proper starting lineup or 8 deep?

Garrison - 500k+
Pedulla - 300k + car
Overton - 250-300k?
Moore - 250-300k
Godwin - Mr. Goodscents all you can eat yearly pass and a Sugars forever turnstile deal

Bench 1 - 150k
Bench 2 - 150k
Bench 3 - 100k

You are looking at close to what, 2 mil to field a proper rotation and potential tournament squad? Does that cover our (in the black) budget?

Or am I just way off here? Please, someone correct me...
I would hope like hell that Moore gets more than anyone else. One thing I have heard many coaches and commentators say is that you should spend most of your NIL (whether it is millions or the two pennies that poor PM has) on retaining the key players already on your team.

Garrison - 500k+
Pedulla - 300k + car
Overton - 250-300k?
Moore - 250-300k
Godwin - Mr. Goodscents all you can eat yearly pass and a Sugars forever turnstile deal

Bench 1 - 150k
Bench 2 - 150k
Bench 3 - 100k

You are looking at close to what, 2 mil to field a proper rotation and potential tournament squad? Does that cover our (in the black) budget?

I don’t think it’s quite THAT much. But it’s gonna be approaching a million for a full team

Mid-major teams' collectives have no chance to match NIL dollars with programs in the nation's largest five or six conferences like the Big Ten. Messmore says Home of the Brave believes these so-called "Power 5" teams generally have $2-3 million in NIL backing them. He thinks the "super-elite" programs within that group have collectives delivering about $5 million

Garrison - 500k+
Pedulla - 300k + car
Overton - 250-300k?
Moore - 250-300k

Bench 1 - 150k
Bench 2 - 150k
Bench 3 - 100k

Godwin makes out like a bandit in this deal lol

"Like anything, there are outliers in both directions. But I would say an average would be about $150-250,000. There are a lot of schools who are driving up the market where it is getting out of control. [But I'm] not complaining because if I was them I'd be doing it as well."
  • "I lost [an OK] player to a [power-conference] school for $200,000."
  • "You have bozo-schools offering insane numbers, and typically those coaches get fired. We lost a guy when we offered over $200,000 -- and he would have helped us. But we were blown away by the offer a Pac-12 school made."
  • "I do know between $200k-$400k were numbers talked about when our former player [at the mid-major level] transferred [to a high-major]."
  • "We have (at the mid-major level] been asked for as little as $30,000, and for as much as $400,000, [for a transfer]."
  • "I don't think everybody is getting what they tell people they're getting. That's why I think it would be better if all of this had to be documented and made publicly available. That would stop a lot of the bull****. But, yeah, the number is about $200,000. If my staff targets a good transfer, we know we better be able to tell him we can get him at least that -- or we're just wasting our time."

Some low-major and mid-major coaches politely declined to answer because they said they simply do not swim in those waters and don't have a good grasp for the market. We appreciated the honesty. But roughly 100 coaches did answer to the best of their ability, and we came away with the impression that transfers who project as high-major starters are typically looking for something between $200,000 and $300,000 -- and often getting promised around $200,000 in NIL deals to enroll at a new school.
Are some getting more? Yes. Are some getting less? Yes.
There are outliers on both ends.
But most coaches told us the floor for transfers who project as high-major starters is around $150,000 -- and then what amounts to a bidding war can and will take things much higher.

For what it's worth, many coaches told us SEC schools -- and a few other big brands from other conferences, but mostly SEC schools -- are the ones that tend to drive up prices. (It just means more and all that.) And one other tidbit coaches offered up is that good transfers are almost always more expensive than good high school players because good transfers are usually proven commodities who are older and more likely to make an immediate impact than 99% of high school graduates entering college

you can deny it all you want .. but it is going to happen ...

unless there is congressional legislation to stop it ..

a CBA and revenue sharing will happen .. (NFL NBA ect the sharing is around 50/50 ) lets just say it is 40-45%% for basketball .... that is hundreds of thousands per player ....
It's going to be a lot lower than that. There is a strong case to be made is shouldn't be anywhere near the levels "shared" at the professional level. The math still has to math.

There was a report last night that Cal's deal to Arkansas was approximately $15MM including NIL. If you back out the $8.5MM to Cal, and probably, what $1.5MM to staff, that leaves $5-$6MM in NIL.

That is what serious players in NIL are doing. Maybe not that high, but Dickinson last year, as the top player in the portal, made almost $1MM alone to go to KU.

We won't ever be at those levels. But we have to be somewhat competitive in NIL to get good enough players, not even the best, to compete. Yeah, there is a coaching component. But look at the FF, or E8- all good coaches, but they had more talent than a Sam Godwin being their starting 5. and 45% of the E8 starters were transfers.

NIL as it exists sucks. The transfer rules the NCAA eased just made it into the Wild West, unattached free agency. But whether you like it or not, it is the landscape. And until we step it up and figure it out, we will continue to be more like a high mid-major in the talent we attract. That won't produce consistent results that all of us expect or desire.

And doesn't help that our AD seems content on "just good enough" and our Prez has a history of law and dealing with NCAA infractions. Not risk-takers in today's environment.

Guarantee OU has SEVERAL players making closer to $50-75k. And it's likely to stay that way. Bench guys. Freshmen.

There was a report last night that Cal's deal to Arkansas was approximately $15MM including NIL. If you back out the $8.5MM to Cal, and probably, what $1.5MM to staff, that leaves $5-$6MM in NIL.

That is what serious players in NIL are doing. Maybe not that high, but Dickinson last year, as the top player in the portal, made almost $1MM alone to go to KU.

We won't ever be at those levels. But we have to be somewhat competitive in NIL to get good enough players, not even the best, to compete. Yeah, there is a coaching component. But look at the FF, or E8- all good coaches, but they had more talent than a Sam Godwin being their starting 5. and 45% of the E8 starters were transfers.

NIL as it exists sucks. The transfer rules the NCAA eased just made it into the Wild West, unattached free agency. But whether you like it or not, it is the landscape. And until we step it up and figure it out, we will continue to be more like a high mid-major in the talent we attract. That won't produce consistent results that all of us expect or desire.

And doesn't help that our AD seems content on "just good enough" and our Prez has a history of law and dealing with NCAA infractions. Not risk-takers in today's environment.
Jeff Goodman tweeted that Cal's budget for players will be $5M+ per year. That's the new standard.

Garrison - 500k+
Pedulla - 300k + car
Overton - 250-300k?
Moore - 250-300k

Bench 1 - 150k
Bench 2 - 150k
Bench 3 - 100k

If our NIL numbers are somewhat accurate, I think schools like OU might need to go "all in" every 3-5 years in order to try to compete with the big boys. Otherwise, we will just have a smaller budget than the big boys every year. Maybe they "just spend" bench money on the team in the off years? I know that is hard to sell to your fans and your administration, but I don't know how you truly compete otherwise. I'm beginning to think we will be lucky to make a legitimate run every 10 years now the way its looking.

Back