MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

i don’t agree with your assessment, but let’s pretend everything you just said is correct and all we need is the right coach to turn water into wine. How do you keep that coach here with the uncompetitive NIL, shoddy arena, and a fanbase who doesn’t come to games or invest nearly enough money to be competitive?

Consistent success will not be sustainable until ou invests properly to be a very good program.
This. 100%.

i don’t agree with your assessment, but let’s pretend everything you just said is correct and all we need is the right coach to turn water into wine. How do you keep that coach here with the uncompetitive NIL, shoddy arena, and a fanbase who doesn’t come to games or invest nearly enough money to be competitive?

Consistent success will not be sustainable until ou invests properly to be a very good program.
And it's also not a sustainable way to win consistently. You may out coach the other team but better athletes/players will beat you a lot of the time anyway....

Running a somewhat decent offense, starting your best player, and not getting guys hurt at the end of blowouts is akin to performing a miracle? Silly me for thinking those are the types of things most coaches do.

As far as how you keep a good coach, we have had three great ones who all stayed for at least a decade. The LNC was said to be a disaster long before old Porter showed up, and our fans have always been fickle. Yet Kelvin stayed till a near-bluebood came calling and Lon stayed till he retired even though he previously had hopped around. But even if keeping someone is tough, I’d happily sigh up for being in the position of having a coach achieve enough success that other good programs want him. Let’s say we lose a coach like that after 3 years and have to rebuild. How is that worse than where we are now? At least we would have 3 good years and some tournament appearances to show for it.

And it's also not a sustainable way to win consistently. You may out coach the other team but better athletes/players will beat you a lot of the time anyway....
Exactly. Lon was making the tournament after the final four year by 1-2 games, but those teams and Porter's teams are basically the same on KenPom. There was nothing sustainable about the way it was going pre-Moser. OU needs to get to a place where the season isn't dependent on 1-2 games.

Running a somewhat decent offense, starting your best player, and not getting guys hurt at the end of blowouts is akin to performing a miracle? Silly me for thinking those are the types of things most coaches do.

As far as how you keep a good coach, we have had three great ones who all stayed for at least a decade. The LNC was said to be a disaster long before old Porter showed up, and our fans have always been fickle. Yet Kelvin stayed till a near-bluebood came calling and Lon stayed till he retired even though he previously had hopped around. But even if keeping someone is tough, I’d happily sigh up for being in the position of having a coach achieve enough success that other good programs want him. Let’s say we lose a coach like that after 3 years and have to rebuild. How is that worse than where we are now? At least we would have 3 good years and some tournament appearances to show for it.
I think Billy, Kelvin, and LK were all better coaches than Porter Moser.

But comparing their success and saying they also did it at OU without support and with the same LNC is a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Forget the fact the LNC was 10, 20, and 30 years younger during those tenures, but college sports, in particular college basketball, changed DRAMATICALLY in 2021. When the NCAA allowed penalty-free transfers, and NIL began, it changed everything. It's also why maybe the two current greatest coaches in their game quit- Jay Wright and Nick Saban. Even they knew it changed and didn't want to coach in the current environment. Combine that with an admin that has clearly shifted their focus away from basketball (some of that is understandable) to the point where it seems as "OKAY or GOOD" is a high enough standard, the current landscape is much more difficult.

As good of coaches as each of them was at OU, I'm not so sure would have achieved the same level of sustained success if they were coaching with the challenges of today.

I don't know who sent out the talking points, but we are reading the same thing over and over.

The football-centric fan base, the "shoddy" arena--these are nothing new. NIL definitely has had an impact but I've yet to see anyone say definitively how much OU has in this area (no disrespect to rumor mongers on Twitter and Discord--I'm sure they serve a very important purpose). Some continue to insist that we're not just a bit behind in NIL but disastrously so. And yet Moser keeps attracting players to Norman and they keep leaving within a season or two.

If our NIL is that bad, not to mention our arena, our fan base and our AD, how did Moser convince those guys to sign with us in the first place? Something doesn't make sense here. I'm not saying we have five-star talent, but we'd have been better if Gibson, Harkless, Hill and, as it turns out, Mason had stayed. We could have used Noland off the bench this season (I know, I know--but he had a decent season). We'd have been a helluva lot better if Moser had convinced two or three more guys to stay his first time around. Many have written off Oweh and Uzan, but what if they just weren't well-coached?

In short, when the heck is Moser responsible for any of this? Other teams aren't losing players at the rate we are. And we're not seeing significant growth (see: Oweh, Uzan) in our guys before they invariably leave.

Are there other factors at play? Yes, undeniably so. But Moser has yet to get the most out of a team and every spring guys cut and run, and very few of them--if any--are getting monster deals elsewhere. But the talking-points crowd keep letting Moser off the hook, blaming everything and everyone but him.

He was hired to do a job and he knew what he was getting into. He knew about the arena, he knew about the fanbase, he knew about the focus on football. The portal and NIL are challenges faced by every other coach at every other university. No one's expecting miracles but he can't even get us in the freaking tournament.

But sure--the arena, the fans, Joe C, the football team, the portal, NIL. They're all keeping a great coach down. We're lucky to have him.

Yes, I've heard your outrage many times about keeping ACC POY, Alondes Williams, on our bench. Or All-ACC guys like Kam McGusty.

G Sean Pedulla, Virginia Tech​

INTEL: Sean Pedulla entered the transfer portal relatively early in the process after earning third-team All-ACC honors at Virginia Tech last season. Immediately upon entering the portal, it was suggested I watch Oklahoma. Gathering intel from around his recruitment recently, a source tells me that Creighton has been trying to get involved and that Pedulla’s camp has been listening. As things currently stand, sources suggest to continue watching Oklahoma here, but the door has not been completely closed. Continue to watch the dates here.

Makes me wonder the cost of a proper starting lineup or 8 deep?

Garrison - 500k+
Pedulla - 300k + car
Overton - 250-300k?
Moore - 250-300k
Godwin - Mr. Goodscents all you can eat yearly pass and a Sugars forever turnstile deal

Bench 1 - 150k
Bench 2 - 150k
Bench 3 - 100k

You are looking at close to what, 2 mil to field a proper rotation and potential tournament squad? Does that cover our (in the black) budget?

Or am I just way off here? Please, someone correct me...
These numbers are fraudulent. No one is getting that much.

I don’t think it’s quite THAT much. But it’s gonna be approaching a million for a full team
Mike Boynton just said is whole budget was 500k. And I think he fudged the numbers on that. Manek told an old OU coach I know that Bacot only gets 100k.

Back