MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

This is an example of my frustration with Joe C, OU basketball, and C&C.

OU can't run a "run it back" campaign, obviously, but why not a "Make OU basketball great again" campaign. Okay, way less Donald Trump-y, but the messaging...

Make it compelling. Maybe you only get $500K (or less) but every penny matters.

And then do the same for an on-campus arena. But nah. Of course not.

If our NIL numbers are somewhat accurate, I think schools like OU might need to go "all in" every 3-5 years in order to try to compete with the big boys. Otherwise, we will just have a smaller budget than the big boys every year. Maybe they "just spend" bench money on the team in the off years? I know that is hard to sell to your fans and your administration, but I don't know how you truly compete otherwise. I'm beginning to think we will be lucky to make a legitimate run every 10 years now the way its looking.
Or hire somebody that can win without that kind of talent. Again, my goal isn't a NC. That is going to be hard for OU in today's environment. But you all are acting like we can't field a top 30ish type team without dropping millions of NIL each year. I just don't believe that. It's going to take better coaching and player development than we currently have though.

OU BBall will never be in the top tier for NIL but they have to be competitive enough for some sort of roster stability. I know some of it may be Moser but the destinations we ve lost guys to just doesn’t make sense if you want a competitive program year to year.

You get a talent like Kaden Cooper and if he makes that step next year is there confidence OU can hold him another year ?

OU BBall will never be in the top tier for NIL but they have to be competitive enough for some sort of roster stability. I know some of it may be Moser but the destinations we ve lost guys to just doesn’t make sense if you want a competitive program year to year.

You get a talent like Kaden Cooper and if he makes that step next year is there confidence OU can hold him another year ?
Again, we aren't losing guys because of NIL. The guys we lost we're losing for one of the following reasons:

1. Don't like Moser or the staff.
2. Don't feel like they are getting developed.
3. Didn't develop and got pushed out or to the bench.

I don't think we've lost a single player that Moser and OU just really didn't want to lose. That includes JM this year.

This is an example of my frustration with Joe C, OU basketball, and C&C.

OU can't run a "run it back" campaign, obviously, but why not a "Make OU basketball great again" campaign. Okay, way less Donald Trump-y, but the messaging...

Make it compelling. Maybe you only get $500K (or less) but every penny matters.

And then do the same for an on-campus arena. But nah. Of course not.

You and I are on the same page and have been beating the same drum on these boards for a bit now.

So many opportunities lost with the admin- starting first with Joe H & Joe C.- and our sports marketing in promoting OU basketball. Especially on Social Media where it is basically free, outside the creation of the content.

We could do SO much more in terms of publicity, attractiveness, and, top-of-mind marketing- all basics in MKTG101. And of course, that could translate to more fund raising efforts and/or contributions from businesses and donors.

Just mind-blown with the lack of priority, creativity, or effort when it comes to what they do for basketball.

OU basketball is in a state of Nebraska football from 2004 to present. Absolute mediocrity and the fans think the return to glory is right around the corner, but it isn't. The program has had losing records in conference 10 out of 18 years, including 6 of the last 8 seasons.

The ship is taking on water.

Again, we aren't losing guys because of NIL. The guys we lost we're losing for one of the following reasons:

I don't think we've lost a single player that Moser and OU just really didn't want to lose. That includes JM this year.
If you don't think we are losing kids to NIL, you are kidding yourself. We are losing out on HS kids, transfers, and current players to better NIL deals every year. I agree that Porter gets some of them blame, but it doesn't matter who's coaching until the NIL situation improves.

If you don't think we are losing kids to NIL, you are kidding yourself. We are losing out on HS kids, transfers, and current players to better NIL deals every year. I agree that Porter gets some of them blame, but it doesn't matter who's coaching until the NIL situation improves.
This is always the most ridiculous argument to me. We needed one more win with our roster to make the tournament this year. Moser didn't come close to maximizing our talent. He didn't play a system that was tailored to our strengths, he waited far too long to bench a comically inefficient player and insert our best player into the starting lineup, he twice had our best player on the floor in the dying moments of blowouts, resulting in injuries both times, and our team frequently played the first 10-15 minutes of games as if they were stuck in mud. But sure, coaching doesn't matter a bit.

Man, how did you get access to do exit interviews?

This is always the most ridiculous argument to me. We needed one more win with our roster to make the tournament this year. Moser didn't come close to maximizing our talent. He didn't play a system that was tailored to our strengths, he waited far too long to bench a comically inefficient player and insert our best player into the starting lineup, he twice had our best player on the floor in the dying moments of blowouts, resulting in injuries both times, and our team frequently played the first 10-15 minutes of games as if they were stuck in mud. But sure, coaching doesn't matter a bit.

i don’t agree with your assessment, but let’s pretend everything you just said is correct and all we need is the right coach to turn water into wine. How do you keep that coach here with the uncompetitive NIL, shoddy arena, and a fanbase who doesn’t come to games or invest nearly enough money to be competitive?

Consistent success will not be sustainable until ou invests properly to be a very good program.

Back