MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

I mean in the very near future all 13 scholarship guys on the OU roster will be making like 500k in salary ..
You really need to stop saying stuff like this as fact. I'm not saying there is a 0% chance of it happening, but there probably aren't 25 schools in the country (the real number is likely much lower) that can pay that and keep their programs afloat. Add that kind of expense to most programs and it's just not feasible.

You know NIL is broken when a kid like Pedulla is getting $300k and a car to "come home" for his last season of eligibility.

Goodness.
What kind of car? lol

Mercedes? Acura? Kia?
Not arguing NIL has whacked up college sports, especially basketball, but a lot of people overreact to a car being a sweetener. I'm sure it's a lease, which even if it is a Mercedes or BMW, it's less than $15K a year for the lease and down. Not like that equates to popping down $100K to put the title in his name and he owns it. Same deal as with coaches.

Even Reid Lovelace could probably pull that off.

You really need to stop saying stuff like this as fact. I'm not saying there is a 0% chance of it happening, but there probably aren't 25 schools in the country (the real number is likely much lower) that can pay that and keep their programs afloat. Add that kind of expense to most programs and it's just not feasible.

It will be sink or swim. Teams who can, will.

College sports (the way we know them) are not long for this world. It will be pro football/basketball with college branding. The rest of the non revenue sports will probably go away entirely in time.

Not arguing NIL has whacked up college sports, especially basketball, but a lot of people overreact to a car being a sweetener. I'm sure it's a lease, which even if it is a Mercedes or BMW, it's less than $15K a year for the lease and down. Not like that equates to popping down $100K to put the title in his name and he owns it. Same deal as with coaches.

Even Reid Lovelace could probably pull that off.
Sure it's probably a lease, but I would love to get to drive a $90,000 car for free. Out-of-pocket that's probably $1200 a month.

you can deny it all you want .. but it is going to happen ...

unless there is congressional legislation to stop it ..

a CBA and revenue sharing will happen .. (NFL NBA ect the sharing is around 50/50 ) lets just say it is 40-45%% for basketball .... that is hundreds of thousands per player ....

you can deny it all you want .. but it is going to happen ...

unless there is congressional legislation to stop it ..

a CBA and revenue sharing will happen .. (NFL NBA ect the sharing is around 50/50 ) lets just say it is 40-45%% for basketball .... that is hundreds of thousands per player ....
The school will probably use some accounting tricks to report zero revenue.

I wonder what is going to happen to these players in the long-term. Sure you can make some serious money for a couple of years as a college athlete but are you preparing yourself with a career? 99% of these guys aren't going pro. Will they be broke in 5 years?

I wonder what is going to happen to these players in the long-term. Sure you can make some serious money for a couple of years as a college athlete but are you preparing yourself with a career? 99% of these guys aren't going pro. Will they be broke in 5 years?
Of course, yes. I hope they enjoy the money, cars, and hos while they can because like you said most will be organizing groceries in your trunk probably even before 5 years. Especially as the college and education part becomes minimized...

This implies that we are getting kids to Norman and having them leave for higher NIL. That really isn't happening. Uzan, Oweh, and JM are not leaving this year because of NIL. Jacob Groves, Bamisile, Noland, and Cortes, did not leave because of NIL. Schroder did not leave because of NIL. Harkless did not leave because of NIL. The only two that maybe left for NIL were Hill (who oddly enough we adequately replaced) and maybe Gibson.

I think the portal has a lot to do with the movement (transferring as much as you like) and NIL is steering them where they are going. It's a combo.

Those two things have drastically altered the landscape in a short time.

I think we, as a university, staff and funding base have been slow to adjust. It all needs to be better.

Not sure what to think of that number.

It seems high thiugh

If that means we are blowing our budget on him I’m very meh

Hopefully it means our budget is much increased
Makes me wonder the cost of a proper starting lineup or 8 deep?

Garrison - 500k+
Pedulla - 300k + car
Overton - 250-300k?
Moore - 250-300k
Godwin - Mr. Goodscents all you can eat yearly pass and a Sugars forever turnstile deal

Bench 1 - 150k
Bench 2 - 150k
Bench 3 - 100k

You are looking at close to what, 2 mil to field a proper rotation and potential tournament squad? Does that cover our (in the black) budget?

Or am I just way off here? Please, someone correct me...

Of course, yes. I hope they enjoy the money, cars, and hos while they can because like you said most will be organizing groceries in your trunk probably even before 5 years. Especially as the college and education part becomes minimized...
Right, and does anyone care?

Pedulla looks like a great addition but I hope he’s not the “big get” of this transfer cycle. Especially cause he’s only got one more year of eligibility.

Back